Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I actually sent a very similar email to my agent when she first offered representation when I didn't get the contract in a few days. I didn't consider myself needy. I just didn't know a thing about the business and I didn't know who to ask (not being a member of AW yet.)

She laughed and told me not to worry about the wait. She was in it for the long haul. It was all good thereafter. I've now been repped by her for coming up on a decade. :)

But I do understand the fear and worry... Been there; have the T-shirt. ;)

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
I actually sent a very similar email to my agent when she first offered representation when I didn't get the contract in a few days. I didn't consider myself needy. I just didn't know a thing about the business and I didn't know who to ask (not being a member of AW yet.)

She laughed and told me not to worry about the wait. She was in it for the long haul. It was all good thereafter. I've now been repped by her for coming up on a decade. :)

But I do understand the fear and worry... Been there; have the T-shirt. ;)

Dont mean to imply that if you send an email like that you ARE needy. Only that any agent who has had a super-needy client may read that and go, "oh, I hope she's not going to be needy." I am sure you've conducted yourself professionally and your agent isn't worried about you. heh.

The point I was trying to make is that the agent should treat you well becuase you EXPECT to be treated well, becuase you are worthy of it. I get querie sometimes that are like, "oh please, just take a chance on an uknown!" It's a turn off. If you're a great writer, it's not a chance-- I am THRILLED to work with you becuase you've written a damn good book. The writer needn't feel that i'm doing them some generous favor-- the book rocks, and I'm the lucky one. ;-)