Am I being paranoid?

Nickman

Registered
Reaction score
Do agents change their minds after making an unequivocal offer, which is formally accepted? I'm scared to push.

Last edited:

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
I received a very enthusiastic and definite offer of representation from a prestigious agency, (AAR) two weeks ago. I accepted straight away. The agent was delighted by my response and said that a contract would be sent. Since then, nothing. I have sent an innocuous prod, (not wishing to appear impatient or pushy), and the agent said that he was very busy and would speak with me soon. Still nothing. Do agents change their minds after making an unequivocal offer, which is formally accepted? I'm scared to push.

Congratulations! Most unlikely that the agent's had a change of heart. What it is---you're on publishing time now, in which a week passes in a heartbeat and "right away" means "next month sometime." The past two weeks have included a couple of holidays and a school vacation, aside from everything else on the agent's desk. I'd give it a few more weeks before nudging, but then, nudge away.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
Also, the offer and your acceptance constitute a verbal contract I believe. Which, if I'm correct, means they have to take you on or you might have legal recourse. It also means if someone else offers rep, you have to decline.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

MrsBrommers

Registered
Reaction score
Also bear in mind that, if he's not the agency's head, he most likely needs to run the contract through that person. My contract was with my agency, not my agent, so the president of the agency is the person who had to sign off on it. Depending on how busy that person is, there can also be a delay. I want to say mine took about a month to arrive. Some people will get their contracts sooner, some a little longer.

Last edited:

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Also, the offer and your acceptance constitute a verbal contract I believe. Which, if I'm correct, means they have to take you on or you might have legal recourse. It also means if someone else offers rep, you have to decline.

From my own personal experience, verbal agreements of representation offers don't seem to amount to squat. I'm pretty sure, but don't know for positive, that they don't constitute verbal contracts that are legally actionable.

But I'm not a lawyer. Giving out legal advice on the internet isn't a very good idea.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me.
The contract turned up in the post after a couple of weeks

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on the offer!

If the agent said he was "very busy" then that's probably code for "drowning under the weight of a thousand competing demands." I wouldn't worry about the wait just yet.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Have you had a similar experience which turned out badly, Terie? (Only if you want to say, obviously, but you mention 'personal experience'. Be useful to know if someone else had an offer which faded away?

(edited now that Nickman has read my reply) Short answer: Completely different situation. I was specifically responding to the comment that speculated that the exchange is legally binding.

Nothing about my experience should worry you one iota. :)

Last edited:

Nickman

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that, Terie, and thanks for sharing. I very much hope everything came out okay in the end.

Axordil

Is this thing on?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeffreyhowe.wordpress.com
Many writers are famously good at spinning out "what ifs" and notoriously bad at limiting the practice to their work. The trade lends itself to catastrophic thinking, much like child-rearing.

That said, pros tend to act like pros. Slow pros, perhaps, but pros.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I received a very enthusiastic and definite offer of representation from a prestigious agency, (AAR) two weeks ago. I accepted straight away. The agent was delighted by my response and said that a contract would be sent. Since then, nothing. I have sent an innocuous prod, (not wishing to appear impatient or pushy), and the agent said that he was very busy and would speak with me soon. Still nothing.

This is not at all unusual. He has not changed his mind. Give it a few more weeks, at least.

And congratulations! :)

Stephanie Witter

Registered
Reaction score
That's an amazing news! Congrats!

I'm not agented or anything, but from what I gathered here and there, it's very common to wait. Agents are very busy between reading the queries, the manuscripts, pitching to publishers and other things I know nothing about. Don't worry and enjoy. I can't wait to know more about your book. :)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Namatu and Waylander! Is that the agent you are still with, Waylander? Great to hear that the contract turned up after a wait.

yes, still with him.

mshean

Worst Unicorn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michael-shean.com
Nickman! :D I just wanted to extend my most heartfelt congratulations, mate. Here's hoping that a lot of doors open for you in the near future - even if 'publishing time' can sometimes make that feel like a thousand years away.

Wisteria Vine

Registered
Reaction score
Have you had a similar experience which turned out badly, Terie? (Only if you want to say, obviously, but you mention 'personal experience'. Be useful to know if someone else had an offer which faded away?

I don't mean to make you nervous, but yes...I have a friend whose offer faded away. She got an offer from a big agency, told the agent she'd have to give it a couple of days to consider because she had another offer, but within 36 hours, the agent emailed her that she'd changed her mind. No real reason given.

It seemed like a case of "I'm going to break up with you before you break up with me!" type thing.

But it does happen.

I'm certain in your case it's just that the agent is swamped - so don't stress over it too much.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
It took about a month and a half to get my letter, but the agent and I corresponded about the book quite happily in the meantime.

No fears. The others are right---you're on publishing time now. Congrats! :D