• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Winter of Discontent

Status
Not open for further replies.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Located at Bosworth, UK. New "traditional" publisher, takes all rights, lifetime contract.

Editor/publisher is Henry "Lancaster Rose" Tudor, no previous editorial experience.

Plans to have a whole pile of new titles in the first year.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Will they take my 218,000-word horror in which the Wars of the Roses are fought by sentient robots that worship Yog-Sothoth? One colony of robots speaks entirely in Petrarchian sonnets and the other in Welsh blank verse? It's illustrated, too!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Some guy named Holinshed is putting out a serial through them. Based on the Look-Inside feature I can't say they're doing a good job with the copyediting. Spelling and punctuation are both bizarre.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, they accepted my manuscript. Now they want 99 pounds to show it to Richard IV for a blurb. Should I spend the money?

The letter was signed Edmund, Prince of Acquisitions.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I can't wait to get my hands on WoD's controversial kid-lit title Go the **** to Sleep Permanently by Dighton and Forrest.

Honestly, I shouldn't be joking about this. I'm from York and we're a bit peeved that Richard won't be buried here.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently the founder's son Henry Jr also has literary aspirations. His first book, Choppers and Tiaras, will be published by WoD this summer.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
I'm just thankful these type of folk dont seem to have a lot of imagination re: Trading or Business Name.

Hmmmm.

Ijust thought of a money-making sca-

oops. I've said too much already.

sneaks off quietly...

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
I have my hands on a series of plays about the follies of man. Do you think there'd be any interest in a play about a king haunted by a ghost, another king who must fight for his kingdom, a little comedy about magical beings carousing on a midsummer's eve, or a romantic tragedy involving two first cousins and their feuding families?

Really, I've got a ton of 'em and my folks, who are, admittedly slightly blind (well, almost completely) and deep in dementia, say they're really good.

Henry VII

Registered
Reaction score
Located at Bosworth, UK. New "traditional" publisher, takes all rights, lifetime contract.

Editor/publisher is Henry "Lancaster Rose" Tudor, no previous editorial experience.

Plans to have a whole pile of new titles in the first year.

Some guy named Holinshed is putting out a serial through them. Based on the Look-Inside feature I can't say they're doing a good job with the copyediting. Spelling and punctuation are both bizarre.

Heat not a furnace for your foe so hot that it do singe yourself!

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
How much will it cost me to publish my memoirs? They're fairly extensive and full of ripping yarns.

I've been doing some digging today. You know, there's this web site named after a sewage-filled river that runs through London that sells books. I found a memoir published by Winter of Discontent. It was by Rhys ap Thomas, and called Killing Richard III.

Here's a small sample. Not only is the editing atrocious, but well....

Many a stout man and fair wench has asked me about the battle, and how I could find the King amongst the pitched fever of conflict. I can only answer thus: Forsooth, it was a wee hunch back at the battlefield.

Run away!

Henry VII

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a small sample. Not only is the editing atrocious, but well....

Run away!

Why snippest thou the very best of our offerings, Wench, and call it 'atrocious'? Except that 'hunchback' part...

Welcome to AW, Henry. While I, and everyone, wish your press well, there are still some serious concerns about the contract.

Thou loathed issue of thy father's loins! How darest thou question me! Dost thou not know who I am? I am thy king!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I scanned in my copy of Fifty Shades of Twilight Little Pieces and I think I've changed all the names, and will be submitting it to you forthwith. I expect to be paid in small bills, preferably US currency, 10's and 20's will suffice.

Henry VII

Registered
Reaction score
Thou hath it bassackwards, Sir Panced. Thou wilt be paying WoD in small currency, preferably in gold, unmarked and untraceable. Verily.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
You know, I don't believe bassackwards dates back far enough to be part of Henry VII's idioms...

*ducks and runs*

Status
Not open for further replies.