Editors asking for samples

Rennet

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not much of a photographer so what I've been doing for magazine pieces is simply asking photographers to join me on a commissioned piece and get whatever the photo fee is.

It seems like a reasonable solution to getting high quality visuals to go with my writing. Win/win, the photographer is getting a clip, money, and a free assignment.

Anyway I pitched an article and got a response from the editor that he was interested, but wanted to see photos. This piece would require some reporting by me, so I haven't yet done that and don't expect to until I get the commission.

The topic was on food in a major city, so I briefly told him how I source photos and assured it will be easy to find some on this subject.

He emailed back that he couldn't decide without photos.

I'm inclined to just pass on this editor. But would that be unreasonable? I've got requests for samples in the past but never as a hard line request. My policy has been tell me you'll buy it and I'll go report it. Obviously if the reporting is bad they can maintain the right to refuse.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not much of a photographer so what I've been doing for magazine pieces is simply asking photographers to join me on a commissioned piece and get whatever the photo fee is.

It seems like a reasonable solution to getting high quality visuals to go with my writing. Win/win, the photographer is getting a clip, money, and a free assignment.

Anyway I pitched an article and got a response from the editor that he was interested, but wanted to see photos. This piece would require some reporting by me, so I haven't yet done that and don't expect to until I get the commission.

The topic was on food in a major city, so I briefly told him how I source photos and assured it will be easy to find some on this subject.

I'm inclined to just pass on this editor. But would that be unreasonable? I've got requests for samples in the past but never as a hard line request. My policy has been tell me you'll buy it and I'll go report it. Obviously if the reporting is bad they can maintain the right to refuse.

I got nuttin, as pitching a story + photographs when you're not a photographer is a new one on me.

Rennet

Registered
Reaction score
I got nuttin, as pitching a story + photographs when you're not a photographer is a new one on me.

It's worked so far. I'm basically telling them I will take care of providing photographs as well.

I suppose this will work better when more of my work has made it to print, so I can show samples of what I've sourced in the past.

Rennet

Registered
Reaction score
I should add it's a really generic topic for the pictures. Basically photos of different dishes. So it's sort of a no-brainer they will be available.

Thinking about it now I think demanding samples is perfectly reasonable I'm just a bit annoyed in this case because they will be so easy to find.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I write for a local magazine/newspaper on a monthly basis. When I first started working for them the editor told me they pay X amount for the article and a different X amount for each photo. (up to 3 photos)

They never asked to see any of my photos before I started submitting them with my articles. She has used a few of my photos and paid me for them. Other times I took photos and she chose not to use them due to space limits.

To me, the main focus should be the article, the writing. Editors usually ask to see my writing samples, but not photo samples.

Rennet

Registered
Reaction score
I think I understand this more now. The magazine is focused on good photography. Probably because many (most?) of its audience speaks English as a second language. So the editor asked for photo samples then wants 2000 words (when I pitched 500).

I really think as long as the photos were good I could just write jibberish.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

As a team, your concept might work, but it sure isn't the wisest way of doing business, and, as an editor, I wouldn't want anything to do wit hit unless you and the photographer were a team with a signed contract, and I would HAVE to see photos in advance. PERIOD. You really are asking editors to buy a pig in a poke.

You'd be a lot better off learning how to take good photos. It isn't all that difficult, especially in today's digital age.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
Rennet,

Did this work out for you?

For the future, I'd suggest that you mention you're working with a photographer and show the editor some samples of your photographer's work so he or she can decide whether or not to hire the photographer.

Hope everything worked out well for you.

Rennet

Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately not. I was only in town for a few days so I needed a green light for the assignment earlier. When I re-pitched for another location they said they were already covering that country in the next issue.

That is a good recommendation. It should get easier as I build my photographer network but I'll run into this problem as I scout new locations.