Status
Not open for further replies.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
My 1-year sub to Norton just expired and they want $70 for a renewal. I know Noroton's okay--good--great, and I'm always picking up some virus or malware somewhere along the line. The price is a bit steep for me right now at this time, but I can manage it.

Alternative: Is there anything out there that's free that might do a fairly good job of keeping my computer clean?

Is AVG any good? Any other recommendations?

I sure would appreciate the advice. I'm apprehensive that I'll be hit with something. Every time I've run Norton Quick scan every morning, I always get anywhere from 25 to 40 threats discovered and remedied. I'm wondering if I have something embedded in my files that causes this. In other words, I think my system might be permanently dirty.

tri

ETA: It looks like McAfee has a 1-year deal for $39.99. Would that be a good choice? It has all the bells and whistles.

Last edited:

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Microsoft security essentials, avg, malware bytes, windows defender. Don't use all of them. Just a couple will take care for you. Equally important, based on your post, dial up the security settings of your browser. And regularly clear your internet temp files. In fact, consider turning temp file retention off. Good luck.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Funny. I just (last Tuesday) spent half a day trying to get the free version rolled out at a school in Illinois. It did not work as advertised. YMMV, however

WriterTrek

Boldy Writing
Registered
Reaction score
Strongly suggest you just use Microsoft Security Essentials for Win7. It does a very good job, equal or better than several you need to pay for.

If you are still running XP then Avast is good for a freebie. But IMO you don't need to pay for one. The current free options are fantastic.

I also run MalwareBytes and CCleaner regularly.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I've used AVG free and MS Security Essentials for some time. They seem to co-exist happily. Their scheduled scans are set to run at different times. I also run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from time to time. I use Windows Vista and Windows 7.

-Derek

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I recommend MSE. It doesn't drag the system down as much as many other AVs, and it's effective and simple to manage.

I also recommend having a firewall. The windows firewall is...sort of OK, but there are freeware firewalls that are a tad better. A lot of people like the free version of ZoneAlarm. Comodo is highly effective, but IMHO a PITA to maintain and heavy as a truckload of uranium. I'm currently using RusRoute, but it's too geeky for the average user.

I like having MalwareBytes around -- not active 24/7, but up-to-date and available for extra scanning.

Status
Not open for further replies.