The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Publisher] Books We Love

Write faster! FASTER! G. Applejack's Avatar

[Publisher] Books We Love

http://bookswelove.net/

I saw a happy author mention this site in another thread. I didn't find it listed here, but feel free to point me in the right direction if it has.

It looks like they've just opened up their house to non-invited authors, but their form for submission struck me as a little odd.

They ask for novel title, length, genre, and instead of a summary or synopsis they list this:

Are you previously published? If not level of experience? Tell us what makes you uniquely qualified to write your novel.

There's no field to tell them what the manuscript is about. Just to sell yourself, essentially. I'm still new to ePublishing. Is this usual?

Otherwise, I like the looks of their covers, and they seem sell on all formats. Perhaps I'll approach them once I get some experience under my belt. What do you guys think?
    Co-mod at Writing MM Romance, a critique group.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Applejack View Post
    http://bookswelove.net/

I saw a happy author mention this site in another thread. I didn't find it listed here, but feel free to point me in the right direction if it has.

It looks like they've just opened up their house to non-invited authors, but their form for submission struck me as a little odd.

They ask for novel title, length, genre, and instead of a summary or synopsis they list this:

Are you previously published? If not level of experience? Tell us what makes you uniquely qualified to write your novel.

There's no field to tell them what the manuscript is about. Just to sell yourself, essentially. I'm still new to ePublishing. Is this usual?

Otherwise, I like the looks of their covers, and they seem sell on all formats. Perhaps I'll approach them once I get some experience under my belt. What do you guys think?
    They have no field for a query or synopsis, much less samples. I suspect they are interested in only determining (first) if you've been published before or have the chops to writer, period.

Strange.

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go Gravity's Avatar
    Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
    They look to be primarily a romance publisher.
    John Robinson (formerly Cameron Bane ... RIP)

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Queried them with a YA novel and got a contract offer the same day. No red flags I the contract, but I don't know... Seems a little fast.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Did the query contain the complete manuscript?
    Emily Veinglory

They asked for it after I filled out the online form. Three hours later they sent me a contract.

Hmmm.

I notice on Amazon that the authors give each other great reviews and pick fights will people who give bad reviews.
    Emily Veinglory

So what does that mean? I have to admit that does seem a little weird.

I don't know. It just suggests to me a 'taking it personally' approach. That's generally not something I am looking for in a publisher.
    Emily Veinglory

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin GiannaSimone's Avatar
    If I can just chime in here, I have a title with Books We Love (hopefully soon to be two) and I have had the most wonderful experience with them. They do move fast, but the owners are extremely author friendly and they really do put a lot of effort in to maximizing sales. I have had no issues with them at all, they are a pleasure to deal with, and if an author wants out, they are very gracious and let them go with well-wishes. If I've ever had a concern or a question, they address it right away. First and foremost, they are authors too and know what it's like from both sides of the business.

Having said that, as far as reviews and such, I do read several other authors who publish with them, and I do like and tag the books I read, but I typically don't engage in the review-antics that go on. I don't have the time to get involved in that, but that's just me. There are no directives coming down from on high to do so, so I suspect it's just the authors trying to help each other, weird as it all may appear on the surface.

I will say, though, I've made a lot of money on that one title I have with them and can honestly say it's mostly due to the owners' hard work.

I'm also a BWL author. If you have been published before (especially if you've had a book with a major print publisher you wanted to reissue, as some of my books with them are, though others are new), they will probably sign you right away. If you're a newbie, they'll want to see your writing.

The publishers are very author friendly. Very good % for authors. They like input on the covers from authors. They do proofread rather than do a lot of editing, though they do some.

They put a lot of effort into promotion too, including paid advertising. They keep abreast of what's happening with amazon, algorithms, etc., and try to stay ahead of the curve.

There was a small percentage of the authors who went overboard with reviews early on. I think mostly they were overenthusiastic and a bit too sensitive to less-than-great reviews, but that has pretty much stopped.

They do suspense, mystery, fantasy and science fiction in addition to romance. YA and adult books, and they have a "Spice" line for erotica-type books.

They do only ebooks, but they permit the use of their covers if authors want to do their books in print on createspace, which I use mostly for booksignings that I do locally.

I'm very happy with BWL--they are the best epublisher I've ever worked with.

Hope this helps.