I have a work finished, but don't know what to do

Carpinttas

Reading Hyperbole and a Half :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
crows-wolves.blogspot.com
For days I read threads and many many recommended (by AW) articles regarding how to get published, agents, editors, even read about contracts.
That was quite some months ago. And I still haven't done a thing to get published.
My WIP is finished, been editing for the entirety of the last year. But I can't take the first step.
Who do I contact to try to get published? To which editor?
I know this probably sounds stupid.
I'm from Portugal, and my work is in English. It's a novel, with a pint of sci-fi.
I'm lazy, and indecisive, and that's a big part of the issue here. But it's not just that, as impossible as it might sound, I can't name a single editor out of memory that publishes English novels.

My 2nd question is, can I send a admission letter (email) to several editors? Or do I have to wait for getting rejected before sending to others?

ty :)

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
First, are you sure your book is finished? Is it as polished as it can reasonably be?

If so, consider if you need an agent, or if you want to query a publisher directly. Learn which publishers have bought something similar to your book. Which ones on that list accept unagented submissions?

Once you have an agent/publisher list, start refining your query letter. Send out queries in small batches. While you wait, write something else.

Axordil

Is this thing on?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeffreyhowe.wordpress.com
I suggest employing a website such as Query Tracker once you begin the process Filigree describes. It makes finding an agent or publisher who might be a good match for your work easier, and enables tracking of your queries to them.

Also this:

While you wait, write something else.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
At some point, you'll need to write a cover or query letter (depending on the requirements of where you submit) and a synopsis, so start hanging out in QLH here.

There's also a list in B&BCs of agents and publishers. Start looking through those threads for agents and/or publishers that might be a good fit. Make a list. Do your research on them. Write a good letter. Submit!

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Three roads:

Seek an agent. You will need a query letter and synopsis, as well as a polished MS ready to go in case the agent asks for all or part of it. Or:

Seek publication with those houses that accepted unagented material. See each publisher's guidelines for how to submit (not ADMIT!) to it. Or:

Self-publish.

There are forums on AW that will tell you how to write queries and synopses. Web searches for "science fiction publishers" should net you plenty of possibilities. Agent Query is just one source of information on agents. AW also has a self-publishing forum.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on your goals. Long term or short term...

For long term, my biggest suggestion is don't rush into anything. Take your time, learn about publishing as well as you have about the writing.

As to your work, have you had a beta reader for it yet? Someone who is not a friend or family member. If not, I suggest you find one. You will be surprised more than likely on what they have to say. You might not be as ready as you think...

What ever you do, good luck...