Likeable vs Likable

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
According to Google search, both are correctly spelled. However, I couldn't find any information as to which spelling is better to use.

Any feedback is appreciated!

LucindaLynx

Registered
Reaction score
May be the British / American thing. I don't know. I am not a native speaker. I am Finnish, so I can't give you any opinion other than that.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
May be the British / American thing. I don't know. I am not a native speaker. I am Finnish, so I can't give you any opinion other than that.

In Finnish, it would probably be something like:

liikkaabbääll.

But I'm a descendent of parents from Denmark, which boasts the most mumbly, unpronounceable language in the history of human linguistics, so what do I know?

caw

evilrooster

Wicked chicken
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunpig.com
According to this article (with neato usage graphs!), "likeable" is the predominant spelling in British English, and "likable" is the predominant spelling in American. However, "likeable" is more common in American usage than "likable" is in British.

I'd say go with whichever matches the rest of your spelling, and rest easy in the knowledge that people from the other persuasion are not likely to trip over it.

It would be lijkaabel in Dutch, were it not aantrekkelijk.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Being Brit, 'likable' does look... odd. I just feel like slipping a 'c' before the 'k' and going all lubbly and lickable :Shrug::D

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
According to Google search, both are correctly spelled. However, I couldn't find any information as to which spelling is better to use.

It's likable in US, I believe.

In fact, when I just did a Google search, most sources say likable not likeable. My spell check doesn't even like likeable. :D

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Google seach can be fine, but only if you use that search to take you to a GOOD online dictionary.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Being Brit, 'likable' does look... odd. I just feel like slipping a 'c' before the 'k' and going all lubbly and lickable :Shrug::D

I was about to say that. It does look like a typo of lickable. 'He was a very lickable person'...... which is understandable in erotica but in an historical drama .... maybe not so much :D

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
:Wha::Wha:

Walk away, Miranda..... just walk away.....

Hmm?

Oh! I meant to add: it gets confusing with the variations. Like trying to find the differences between British vs American English.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I wasn't clear. Looking back at how I said it, it did look bad. I apologize for the offense. :(

But grammar and spelling does get strange-looking with how they look, from time to time. To me, anyway.

Like this thing with likable vs likeable. Looks a bit like "lickable" typo, like you said earlier, lol.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We understand, as always. We forgive you. The 'mix' is the result of everybody else putting their spoons in our pot. :flag: :Hug2:

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Looking back at how I said it, it did look bad. I apologize for the offense. :(

Like Bufty said, you're forgiven! :Hug2: You recognised what I was walking away from and that's always appreciated.

No worries!

To borrow a phrase from yet another variation....... :D

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Like Bufty said, you're forgiven! :Hug2: You recognised what I was walking away from and that's always appreciated.

No worries!

To borrow a phrase from yet another variation....... :D

So we cool like the other side of a pillow? *holds fist out for fist bump* :)

(Borrowing cheesy phrase from a cartoon. Is that even a real phrase in real life? Whatever, I'm using it, lol.)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

Any feedback is appreciated!

Use a dictionary from your country of residence. That's what dictionaries are for.

If you must use Google search, type in: Spelling: Likable or likeable

"Likable" is the United States spelling. It's "Likeable" in most other English speaking countries.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Use a dictionary from your country of residence. That's what dictionaries are for.

Spoken like an American.

Don't chose a dictionary from your country of residence, unless your country of residence also happens to be the country of residence for your prospective publishers. If the two are not the same, chose a dictionary from the country of your prospective publishers. It'll save you a lot of time later on.