• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Hartwood Publishing (formerly Taliesin Publishing)

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Found them via Facebook link is here.

They are a dual house, publishing their own content and doing the work of a self-publishing service as well. Not a lot of details available regarding who they are yet.

I do note they are headed by Georgia Woods who is their Editor-in-Chief. (She's been the EiC at Liquid Silver Books for at least a year, but I don't know if she's still with them or leaving to head this venture as no announcement of her departure has been made at LSB.)

Last edited:

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
There was an announcement to the authors of LSB, at least, a few weeks ago as to Georgia's leaving. She also just posted at Romance Divas about opening this press, so it's a new venture. While I'm interested to see what becomes of the new press, I'm mostly curious as to what led to her departure from LSB. She was just there for a handful of months (or maybe a year...doesn't seem like it was that long).

No it wasn't long at all. No clue why she left, but there are posts from her on the forum from February.

I went to the forum and found the announcement. I don't think she was there for a year. I wonder who they're getting to replace her.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have heard that series drop in sales from several epublishers. Obviously there must be exceptions and it is probably less true for books that can also stand alone. It is true for most of my own series with one exception.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I find a couple of the submission notes a bit odd.

We will not consider agent-represented manuscripts. Some of our authors are agented, but have a contract which allows them to submit and handle some of their own works, and under this kind of arrangement we would consider agented authors’ works.

I'd really like to know the "why" of this. Seems very...odd. If I've encountered it before, I don't recall.
I don't see that as any kind of warning sign for a digital first publisher.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
You should see it as such for any sort of publisher. Agents are your advocate, and without one you're at a disadvantage re: contract negotiation and any problems that arise after you sign it. It's one thing for a publisher to be too small to be worth an agent's time, but the fact they specifically refuse to work with agents warrants caution.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I can see not requiring agents, but refusing to work with them is a bit of a WTF.

Out of 11 contracts (fairly recently), I've run across this three times. There are some small press houses out there that are gun shy of agents. I believe that either they lack the experience in dealing with agents and don't want to show their weaknesses or they're afraid of knuckling under to perfectly justified clause changes and amendments.

tri

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Maybe they are just being honest that there isn't much benefit to the author to be had from a deal through an agent with them, because they aren't going to change their terms?

I don't want a publisher dictating how I manage my career whether they think it is for my own good or not. I mean am I really going to go: I love my agent and she's helping me with my career, but I'll fire her or renegotiate my contract just to publish with a new digital press? Hmm.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Oh sorry I deleted as you were posting your comment. Sorry.

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Did they stop offering their separate self publishing services?

I thought they might be a good bet for decent editing, since they had solid backgrounds in editing for relatively successful epublishers, and I know authors who had good things to say about the owners (as editors.)

Last edited: