• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Anaphora Literary Press

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't say this the first time around, but seeing the attitude popping up, I'd just like to say that as a professor of English, my students would have been marked down for the sorts of errors I'm seeing, and I'm honestly more than a little amazed that a writing teacher doesn't see a problem with the grammatical errors.

A PhD in literature doesn't guarantee the ability to write or know correct grammar, though I'm surprised that you didn't get counted down to have grammatical errors pointed out.

I'm not trying to be rude when I say this. There is nothing wrong with making a mistake and it happens to all of us. When I write in Japanese I often make mistakes. I work with very low level students who've never been taught proper grammar and who often can't put together a comprehensible sentence, and I don't see that as something to be ashamed of, but rather something to be learned from.

But when you set yourself up as an editor as a profession and claim to have superior knowledge, these errors and that sentence correction are unacceptable to the extreme. To not even be able to recognize that there are errors is even worse.

I'd never recommend an author go with a publisher who couldn't put together clear, grammatically correct sentences. Then again, a quick internet search on the person running this one would also have me turning the other way. Just goes to show that it's always a good idea to do a little background research when you're looking for a publisher.

Oldscribe

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with this intriguing-sounding outfit? Listed in latest Poet's Market, Anaphora Literary Press sound almost too good.

Last edited:

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
The AW thread about them is here. <snipped> Someone will probably be along to move your question there. :)

Welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Porting to Bewares, Backgrounds

faktorovich

Registered
Reaction score
A Defense of My Credentials

Post #100 before this thread was blocked for around 4 months made the false claim that I do not know how to spell or grammatical rules. It further claimed that the fact that I have a PhD in English is not sufficient to prove that I know the English language. My knowledge of the English language is clearly proven by the fact that McFarland and Company have published 2 of my academic books (the first of which has been positively reviewed by several respected venues): Rebellion as Genre in the Novels of Scott, Dickens and Stevenson and The Formulas of Popular Fiction: Elements of Fantasy, Science Fiction, Romance, Religious and Mystery Novels. In addition, Columbia University Press has expressed interest in my third academic book that I will finish by the end of this month, Gender Bias in Mystery and Romance Novel Authorship: The Anti-Stereotypical Voices of Women and Men Who Cross Genres. Also University Press of Kentucky has said they are likely to publish my fourth book, Wendell Berry and the New Agrarianism Genre: Agriculture in Modern Literature, for which I won a research fellowship from the Kentucky Historical Society. Discriminating against somebody in public based on their last name is equivalent to discriminating against a person of color or making insulting comments based on somebody's sexual orientation. I hope that those who read these postings will see those comments for the bigoted insults that they are. If Columbia is interested in publishing one of my books surely, I am an expert in English grammar and spelling rules. In addition, one of my central fields of research is linguistics, so anybody that accuses me of not being grammatically literate must have an erroneous knowledge of grammatical rules that leads them to perceive my correct usage as erroneous.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Post #100 before this thread was blocked for around 4 months made the false claim that I do not know how to spell or grammatical rules. It further claimed that the fact that I have a PhD in English is not sufficient to prove that I know the English language. My knowledge of the English language is clearly proven by the fact that McFarland and Company have published 2 of my academic books (the first of which has been positively reviewed by several respected venues): Rebellion as Genre in the Novels of Scott, Dickens and Stevenson and The Formulas of Popular Fiction: Elements of Fantasy, Science Fiction, Romance, Religious and Mystery Novels. In addition, Columbia University Press has expressed interest in my third academic book that I will finish by the end of this month, Gender Bias in Mystery and Romance Novel Authorship: The Anti-Stereotypical Voices of Women and Men Who Cross Genres. Also University Press of Kentucky has said they are likely to publish my fourth book, Wendell Berry and the New Agrarianism Genre: Agriculture in Modern Literature, for which I won a research fellowship from the Kentucky Historical Society. Discriminating against somebody in public based on their last name is equivalent to discriminating against a person of color or making insulting comments based on somebody's sexual orientation. I hope that those who read these postings will see those comments for the bigoted insults that they are. If Columbia is interested in publishing one of my books surely, I am an expert in English grammar and spelling rules. In addition, one of my central fields of research is linguistics, so anybody that accuses me of not being grammatically literate must have an erroneous knowledge of grammatical rules that leads them to perceive my correct usage as erroneous.

I've enlarged your text as I found your comment very difficult to read at that small size.

I've looked at post #100 and can't see any of the things you claim it contains.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
. It further claimed that the fact that I have a PhD in English is not sufficient to prove that I know the English language. My knowledge of the English language is clearly proven by the fact that McFarland and Company have published 2 of my academic books

1. A Ph.D. means you have a Ph.D. It doesn't mean you can write or edit.

2. You seem to have difficulty structuring coherent sentences in English, and in reading comprehension. You repeatedly assert posters have said things they haven't.

3. A publisher, any publisher, accepting a book for publication doesn't really indicate much about your ability with English either; it merely suggests that they have intrepid editors.

4. In any case, I think you've said all you need to say, and I'm locking this thread until someone with greater authority decides to overrule me.

nelehjr

Green as the meadow grass
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teenink.com
I submitted to them today and got a response within thirty minutes. Something majorly smells fishy in Denmark... Anna Faktorovich admitted that the publishing company is her soul income and will sell you your own books at 50 for 25% off. That's sort of the deal I have going with the publisher of War and Chess. (50 for 45% off, actually.) I don't know, they seem TOO eager to publish my book. It's odd...

WDusty

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to them today and got a response within thirty minutes. Something majorly smells fishy in Denmark... Anna Faktorovich admitted that the publishing company is her soul income and will sell you your own books at 50 for 25% off. That's sort of the deal I have going with the publisher of War and Chess. (50 for 45% off, actually.) I don't know, they seem TOO eager to publish my book. It's odd...

That's "sole," and if the first thing a publisher mentions to you is how much of a discount you get for buying your own books, then in all likelihood *you* are their selling audience. I can see having an author cover the print/delivery cost for copies the author wants to sell on his/her own locally (book signings, etc.). But making money off of an author of books you publish by selling them to him/her is not correct. And I don't care how small or poor the publisher is.

C Alberts

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, quite an interesting thread. I am very sympathetic to the plight of small publishers but unless things have changed a lot since the thread was raging a few years ago, this publisher genuinely does not understand how distribution works. Their wholesale terms are prohibitive to a bookstore - the books are listed at Ingram but they have a very short discount and are non-returnable which tends to be a deal breaker. It does appear that this publisher relies mostly on the author buying their own books to resell to actual readers. But with only a 25% discount, the author would most likely lose money on any bookstore events, as the stores usually expect to take 40% of the sale price which is the industry standard.

For small presses focused primarily on e-books, the above terms are not uncommon for print copies, but this press doesn't seem to offer e-books at all. I can't imagine that they are selling many copies of their books to anyone other than the author, and maybe a few through Amazon.

They release a hardcover and paperback at the same time - highly unusual for literary books.

Their prices are high. Their paperbacks are $20 and many of them are barely 200 pages, some are even less. This is also unusual. Longer books are $25 for a paperback.

Still no sign of industry reviews or anything else that would bring the books to the attention of bookstores.
It's possible that she is putting out some great books, but they are being handled in a way that means few will ever see them.

faktorovich

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for posting your concerns about my publishing business, Anaphora. I benefit from reading how potential writers perceive the services I offer. I do my best to be brutally honest whenever a writer asks me any questions regarding these services. You are all warmly invited to email me with any questions you might have, and I’ll respond within a few hours with detailed explanations. You can find my free “Book Production Guide” on the Anaphora website, and on various other platforms, where I explain my publishing process. I’ve also written a book called, “The History of British and American Author-Publishers,” which strives to explain the benefits of a writer starting their own publishing company to publish themselves and others, as well as how canonical authors have benefited from subsidizing some of their most radical and anti-formulaic publications. I can email a copy of the letter book to anybody for free who emails me with interest. I created these books to answer these types of questions.

Have things changed? I cash purchased a tiny house in Quanah, Texas three months ago. Profits have been pretty steady both from sales through various distribution channels and from authors purchasing copies of their books for resale. I have stopped teaching to focus on my publishing and writing with this purchase, and that’s a huge step for me. It’s great to fully rely on my creativity to make a living. The profits I’ve made from a decade of publishing 240+ titles have sponsored dozens of books I’ve written and released through Anaphora on important topics like sexual harassment, democracy, corruption, and human rights. I am now able to spend more time writing, and less time stressing about where my next paycheck is coming from. Anaphora’s from website includes blurbs from several authors who have been very happy with the services I provided, and there are dozens more of these that did not fit on that page that I can email to anybody upon request. It is possible that in a year, if profits are steady and I can cover my necessities from profits alone, I will stop asking writers to purchase the 50 discounted copies. But this platform has allowed for something very unique for any writer: a room of my own to write and publish without interruptions. The lack of this basic need drove Virginia Woolf and other talented authors to suicide. Why would anybody object to any creative person making a living from subsidy publishing? I’m providing a service (cover and interior design, press releases, setup, etc., etc.) and in exchange authors are contributing a bit of money. Yes, authors like me who have to find a way to make a living cannot be happy with paying a cent for publication. But, authors who have the money to invest in their self-promotion through a publication need to find publishers that can deliver the most for their investment. Based on my research, there are no other publishers out there willing to provide a YouTube book trailer, press release distribution and all the other services I offer for the $562.50/$750 authors pay (and they get 50 softcovers and a free hardcover to resell: if they sell it at a library reading or at a private launch party, the 25% discount becomes a profit). Dickens, Woolf, Scott and most of the best writers in the history of the world benefited from a lot less services, and some paid nearly as much or more without converting the amount into today’s money (and without getting any of the included digital etc. services).

To answer your questions: I leave most of the decisions about how a book is published up to the writer, so that they get what they are looking for. If a writer needs a higher discount, I set it to 53% with Ingram for the softcover, which results in a 40% trade discount being left to bookstores like Barnes & Noble. All of my hardcovers are set automatically to the 53-55% discount. On the other hand, some authors do not want to take on the burden of the cost of returns, and their books are unlikely to generate interest from physical bookstores. For them, a 40% discount that leaves 20% to distributors, like Amazon, allows for maximum profits per book. Amazon can take 40% instead of 20%, but quantity of books sold won’t change with this percentage. Most other online retailers, libraries and various other channels are happy with 20%. Recently an author asked about this because BN and some other physical bookstores always use this as an excuse for not picking up a small press title – I explained what I’m saying in this paragraph, and he decided against it. I’ve had an author increase the discount to 55% and lower the price of the book so that we’d only be splitting pennies if a book sold ($16 for a 480-page book or the like). As I predicted, BN still did not accept the title, but the author stubbornly insisted on keeping the book at this price-point. I’m happy to oblige writers with their requests. The 50 discounted copies purchase covers my expenses for a title, and after this the author can gamble with their book as they will. I’ve tested these types of rules with my own books to understand it from the author’s perspective. Once I queried my local BN about participating in a reading/ signing, and was surprised when they invited me to a “Local Authors” event. They purchased 20+ copies of the book from around 16 different authors and placed them in pairs on shabby tables around the store. The author signing books next to me kept hitting me and yelling at passersby to keep their attention away from my book. Because he was so aggressive and threatening nobody dared to ask me what my book was about in the two hours I spent there being beat up. BN’s purchase of the 20+ copies cost me $300 or so for printing and shipping. It would have cost more, but I set the books to be destroyed rather than shipped to me when they were returned. BN came out with no profits, and I had a massive loss. They said they’d display the book at several different stores, but obviously they did not, and not a single book sold. They do these events in the hope that local authors will bring their own buyers hoping that sales will mean other BN stores will also pick up the book. All this goes to say that there’s a reason physical bookstore sales are declining: it’s not a pleasant experience shopping or selling in them. Small, independent presses are given hardly any space in the big stores even with help from the best distributors in the industry. This space can be extremely expensive if you multiply the $300 loss by 2,000 stores… Thus, selling through online channels like Amazon and Ingram, and working to make customers aware of these locations is a better strategy for all publishers and authors. I can’t imagine how I could’ve stayed in business for 9 years if I didn’t understand “how distribution works”…

Anaphora does offer ebooks. I automatically create EBSCO and ProQuest ebooks – these are more respectable in academic circles: the majority of authors I publish are in academia. If an author asks, I can also make a Kindle, Smashwords or another ebook version, but I think these detract from printed book sales, and do not recommend them.

Yes, I create hardcover and softcover books together so that I can send a single release notifying 11,000 reviewers, academics, librarians etc. of the book’s availability and that they can buy a soft or hard cover edition (or ebook). Librarians want one, others want the other, and they’re happy, and don’t email me to complain. I heard criticism from librarians about their need for hardcovers, and that’s why I added these. If a writer doesn’t want them to come out together, he or she can ask me and I’d be happy to oblige them.

There have been industry reviews. Here are some of them:

https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-1-68114-299-9
https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-1-68114-302-6
https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw...titles-from-self-publishers-october-2017.html
https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/howard-w-robertson/love-cretaceous/

Authors have also been reviewed in their regional newspapers and major magazines, and have done interviews with NPR, Fox and other channels about their Anaphora titles. Reviews are listed on the individual authors’ pages, and I advertise these on my social media when they come out (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter).

You can see all of the books Anaphora has released on almost any online bookseller (internationally), and if you order it, it can even be shipped to your local bookstore.

I’m doing everything possible to promote Anaphora’s titles. If fewer authors were dissuaded from publishing with Anaphora by posts like this, and I released more titles, I would have a larger budget for marketing these books. If you have ideas on how I can do more, I would be delighted to hear your ideas. I always invite authors to propose ideas I’ve never tried before in addition to my standard services. I learn by experimenting, so there is no extra charge for even the most out-of-the-box proposals.

I’d be delighted to address any other questions you guys might have. I’m not editing this response deliberately because it’s the unfiltered truth.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But this platform has allowed for something very unique for any writer: a room of my own to write and publish without interruptions. The lack of this basic need drove Virginia Woolf and other talented authors to suicide.
Um - no. I think that's a bit of an over-reach, there.

faktorovich

Registered
Reaction score
It would be unethical for me to keep the book-purchasing requirement or the discount that goes with it out of my first communication with the author. I don't see a problem with honestly sharing this information. As I explain in detail in the longer response I posted today, I do everything I can to sell books through various channels and with all sorts of marketing efforts. The market is tough today with the top 4 publishers eating up most book sales. Kickstarter and other platforms where authors or contributors push their projects out there are successful today more so than other independent efforts. The titles I publish do sell copies through distributors, so I'm selling to them and to authors. There is no difference between having authors profit from reselling their book, and publishers also making a profit from this exchange (unless you are on some kind of a quest to bankrupt all small publishers). Making a profit is the only way for a publisher to stay in business. If there are clients who want to buy their own books for resale, then it's ethical to meet this demand at a low cost and with a great deal of other added values.

- - - Updated - - -

:) You're right that like is a bit melodramatic - but as I said, I didn't edit anything out. It's what came to mind.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:) You're right that like is a bit melodramatic - but as I said, I didn't edit anything out. It's what came to mind.
Yes, but it's factually incorrect - so you probably should. It's totally incorrect and it misrepresents the courage and dignity of VW's life to that point, and makes her death sound as though it's about something more trivial than the terror that she won't recover from the bout of "madness". Her husband felt strongly enough about that kind of misrepresentation to write, in a rebuttal to a newspaper,
This is not what she wrote: the words which she wrote are:“I feel that I am going mad again. I feel we can’t go through another of those terrible times.”
She had had a mental breakdown about twenty-five years ago; the old symptoms began to return about three weeks before she took her life, and she felt that this time she would not recover. Like everyone else, she felt the general strain of the war, and the return of her illness was partly due to that strain. But the words of her letter and everything which she has ever said prove that she took her life, not because she could not “carry on,” but because she felt she was going mad again and would not this time recover.

She didn't take her life because of the war, and she didn't take her life because she wanted A Room of Her Own. She did it because she couldn't bear the thought of her "madness" returning and consuming her and the people she loved.

Last edited:

faktorovich

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I always respond immediately. Sometimes in 10 minutes, and sometimes in 2 days. I guess for some publishers this is fishy - but I can evaluate the basics I'm looking for in this short timeframe. I'm welcoming to all sorts of projects. Why would it be good for me to reject printable books? Who am I to keep good writers out of print? Yes, this is currently my only source of income. Writers that purchase 100 copies get a 40% discount. With 200 copies they get a 55% discount - at the latter rate, they'd have enough left over if they sold to bookstores that want to keep 40%. Most publishers I've queried about my own books wait for a year or more to respond and then don't show they've read the proposal (even academic publishers). Is this kind of an extremely long wait better than me responding immediately? I don't want to give an illusion of selectivity/ exclusivity by not responding to anybody automatically for 4-6 months and then sending the same formulaic letter. I think these types of delays are unethical, and I don't want to be impolite by keeping writers waiting. If you don't want to hear from me yet, don't open my response for 4 months and then hopefully it will have the desired effect.

faktorovich

Registered
Reaction score
It isn't factually incorrect. It's the absolute truth. If you find an error - please specify what it is and I'll correct it. Virginia Woolf did commit suicide after she was forced to sell her share of her publishing company. I discuss it in my author-publishers book - email me if you want a copy.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It isn't factually incorrect. It's the absolute truth. If you find an error - please specify what it is and I'll correct it. Virginia Woolf did commit suicide after she was forced to sell her share of her publishing company. I discuss it in my author-publishers book - email me if you want a copy.
I edited while you were posting - I've specified in #114. In any case, you're now saying she took her life after she was forced to sell her share of her publishing company which is not the same as
But this platform has allowed for something very unique for any writer: a room of my own to write and publish without interruptions. The lack of this basic need drove Virginia Woolf and other talented authors to suicide.
- but I'm still calling over-reach.

faktorovich

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a book on this topic, as I said, and I could paste my Virginia Woolf chapter here (15-20+K words) if you still have questions. But suffice it to say that you don't know enough about the subject. Some books have suggested Leonard killed Virginia - in this case, his opinion on her madness or lack thereof is irrelevant. Madness is in no way inferior or superior to a room of one's own or to owning a publishing house. You might think madness is more powerful, but other people might think it's a symptom. If she had a house of her own, and if retained control of her publishing company that allowed her to print what she wanted to say, the symptom of madness might not have crept in. Why are you arguing about what Virginia was thinking - neither of us are mind readers. My goal is to make sure that I live a powerful life of sanity and success, and I think this is a goal for most workaholic female and male publishers and authors. What objection do you have to this?

faktorovich

Registered
Reaction score
As I said, I've written a lot of words on Woolf - I'd need a lot of words to explain the complexities of my meanings here. I'm doing my best to compress my thoughts. Feel free to ask for clarification, and I'll provide it.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a book on this topic, as I said, and I could paste my Virginia Woolf chapter here (15-20+K words) if you still have questions. But suffice it to say that you don't know enough about the subject. Some books have suggested Leonard killed Virginia - in this case, his opinion on her madness or lack thereof is irrelevant. Madness is in no way inferior or superior to a room of one's own or to owning a publishing house. You might think madness is more powerful, but other people might think it's a symptom. If she had a house of her own, and if retained control of her publishing company that allowed her to print what she wanted to say, the symptom of madness might not have crept in. Why are you arguing about what Virginia was thinking - neither of us are mind readers. My goal is to make sure that I live a powerful life of sanity and success, and I think this is a goal for most workaholic female and male publishers and authors. What objection do you have to this?
Obviously I have no objection to you living a life of sanity and success but that's a bit of a goalpost shift. I do have a problem with your statement about VW's suicide, but I don't think I'm going to change your mind. Still I'll let my statement stand, because I do believe suicide - any suicide - is significantly harder to parse than your statement makes it sound.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

Bullshit. Virginia Woolf was sexually abused as teen by her half-brother Gerald Duckworth. She suffered from depression her entire life, and today, is generally considered bi-polar. She was also not straight, was married to Leonard Woolf (not a prize spouse) and, not very fond of actually publishing her own works (or anyone else's) at Hogarth.

This is much better look at Woolf's psychological state and suicide.

I've read pretty much every thing Woolf wrote, including some unpublished letters and her paper at Smith and NYPL.

A Room of One's Own is explicitly about the need for women, especially women writers, to have a space that is theirs, space that isn't encroached on by those exploiting women for their own purposes.

You know. Like exploiting a woman's life-time of struggle and her creativity to pimp a publishing service. Because doing that would be really really wrong.

You know. Like using the phrase "highly unique."

Last edited:

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
That Kirkus Review was a paid review, and so portraying it as an "industry review" is misleading. Also, did you design the cover for that book (LOVE IN THE CRETACEOUS)?

faktorovich

Registered
Reaction score
It's wrong for you to exploit Virginia's struggle and rape to make your nonsensical argument. It's insulting to women. I wrote a chapter about Virginia's experiences - that's called scholarship, not exploitation. Using facts about the difficulties faced by those in the publishing industry to strengthen my argument is what this venue is supposed to be about. Bi-polar? You're digressing into things unrelated to what this discussion is supposed to be about. It's about the business and art of publishing - according to the name: "Write..." You still haven't shown how you have managed to enter her mind to determine a rape drove her insane and not the failure of her publishing business. So, please stop with the nonsense. Try to stay cool and logical instead of being aggressive and harassing towards another woman who is just trying to survive. There were plenty of critics like you that drove Virginia to desperation, including Leonard. There's no need for more vile spewing.

faktorovich

Registered
Reaction score
Kirkus is only one of the reviews I posted. How do you know which of their reviews is paid for unless you've used this venue yourself. Most reviews posted in major publications are paid for - sometimes directly, and at other times via ad purchases. Yes, I design nearly all of the covers for the books I publish. I've had some positive feedback on that one. It had a positive review (unpaid) on Publishers Weekly and won the Best Book in the Category of Literary Fiction: 2018 Pinnacle Book Achievement Award. Here is a photo from an event one of the writers I've published told me about today: February 27, 2018: West Virginia House of Delegates: 1900 Kanawha Blvd., East Charleston WV 25305: Duff’s novel, “A Dying Breed” was recognized by Delegate Kayla Kessinger, and placed into the West Virginia State Archives: http://www.wvlegislature.gov/house/lawmaker.cfm?member=Delegate Kessinger.

duff-house-of-delegates-2-small.jpg

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
We have a maximum image size of 400 x 400 pixels and that photo is far too big. Please edit it down. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.