Anaphora Literary Press has been nominated for national awards. Several of its titles have been reviewed in national publications. It has received press coverage in numerous newspapers, as can be seen on the “News Clippings” part of the Anaphora website. Anaphora authors have done readings with their books at hundreds of major bookstores, as you can see on the News: Book Signings page. By all known definitions of being an established press, Anaphora qualifies. Anaphora’s sales records are private because they include records for over 60 different authors, who might for various reasons not want to disclose this information. So, I’m not going to list the exact sales figures here. As I already said, some of the titles sell very well, and I’m still in business because Anaphora is profitable.

I register all of the books I publish with the Library of Congress through their LCCN system, and mail copies of all books and journal issues that I publish. I register copyrights for the journal issues directly with the Library. Because I do not ask writers to transfer “exclusive” rights to their books, I do not register the single-author books with the Library (which doesn’t allow non-exclusive publishers to register).

You mention my publication of Reverend Loveshade’s “Ek-Sen-Trik-Kuh Discordia.” I’m curious how you came across this information. Did you Google all of my authors? If not, it seems that Anaphora does get a lot of “press.” Yes, there were allegations that this work was plagiarized. Reverend Loveshade denied these allegations, but due to the fact that some proof of potential plagiarism was presented, I immediately took the book out of print, thereby resolving the issue with the concerned parties, or members of the Discordian organization that contacted me. In part, I took the book out of print because I was receiving harassing phone calls and emails with threat of harm via “discodian” jakes, and my phone was infected with a virus with a Discordian flavor. Due to this case, and because prior to it I did not want to involve myself with defending authors that might potentially be breaking the law in any way (would you?), it states in my contract that the publisher is not responsible for any laws the author might be breaking via the publication, including the insertion of obscenities into the book and plagiarism. It is likely that there is no bigger publisher in the US that hasn’t been accused of plagiarism at some point, and the way I resolved this case was the best possible scenario for all involved. Handling these types of legal issues is part of my job as the publisher of Anaphora, a job that’s handled by over a dozen lawyers at the big publishing houses. It is my goal to publish great works of fiction and non-fiction, and to do so lawfully and ethically.

If you are waiting to see if I’ll “stay in business,” let’s revisit this matter in 60 years – hopefully both this website and Anaphora will be around for the discussion.

As I mentioned earlier, I’m currently working on a critical book about the publishing industry, and very little “dirt” about the big publishers comes out into the open. So, I hope you will stay vigilant. As an author myself, I wish I knew which publishing companies can be trusted, so I don’t object to a discussion on any publisher. I just object to false statements being made regarding Anaphora in a public forum. So, I’m adding these comments to correct points that are erroneous.

If the question is, “Is Anaphora a ‘good option’ for an author?” Yes, it’s pretty good, and I’ve even published my own illustrated children’s book with Anaphora. If you are asking, is Anaphora the best publishing business in the world? Probably not. I mean, there publishers out there that have made billions of dollars over the last couple of centuries. I really don’t think I can compete with them after only 5.

At one point you recommend that I should seek financing to be able to do print-runs etc. Anaphora is a fun venture for me because I’m in complete creative and business control of the project. It’s completely independent from all outside funding (government or investment).

In the same spirit of liberalism and independence, I offer a clear choice to my readers if they want to be edited or not. While I could create a contract that would allow me to make any editing changes I want without the writer’s consent, this wouldn’t be appropriate unless the writer trusts my judgment and consents to editing. If there are writers out there that have a strong dislike for editing of all kinds, are you going to prevent them from being allowed to publish? I certainly won’t, if I think that their work is good enough to run as-is.

I was just reading a book about the publishing industry, “North American Romance Writers,” that Harlequin started expanding in the 1960s by buying re-print rights from the British company, Mills & Book, and printing their romances in North America, only much later, perhaps after their purchase of Silhouette Books in 1984 did Harlequin begin producing their own romance novels (2-5). This is an example how re-print rights can be significant in the publishing business. Only if an author has a non-exclusive contract can they re-sell their re-print or other types of printing rights elsewhere. There is absolutely nothing negative about a non-exclusive contract – it is completely positive for the authors.

Once again, you are mixing up what Anaphora is. As I said, Anaphora is not a printer; it is also not a distributor of books. Anaphora works with the best distributors in the business: Ingram, Coutts, Bowker, Baker & Taylor, Amazon, and a long list of other distribution channels. A good business model is one that focuses on achieving goals that can be met. If Anaphora spread too far into distributing the titles itself, it would be wasting resources that are needed for other projects. I do submit press releases to newswires, libraries, bookstores, and send review copies out, along with a long list of other tasks that any small to medium publisher could possibly achieve with their limited resources. I doubt there is a publisher out there that does more to help authors sell their books than Anaphora. So, you are fishing in the wrong lake, when you say that Anaphora fails to help writers sell their books; and at the same time you have to remember that Anaphora’s business is publishing, not distribution. To give you another example from my current research, when Harlequin finally began distributing their titles themselves in the 1970-1980s, they sold books at retail stores, and they still follow this approach, as it cuts down on their distribution costs. But distributing directly to retail stores means the printing of at least 25,000 copies, or typically at least 100,000, required by these stores because they have to be uniform throughout the system and have to buy at least a few copies of each title for each of their stores. This effort costs $100,000+ per title, and can result in incredible returns. If I put that much of my own money into a single title, or got a financer for the project, it would be a lunacy for Anaphora at this time. So, your suggestions are impractical and illogical. I have an economics degree, and have previously worked as a financial analyst and a CPA’s assistant. I’ve researched all available options, and I definitely would like to see the best possible sales for all Anaphora titles, and I’m doing my best in this regard. But there is huge jump between running a small to medium publishing company and a giant one, and I’m not at the edge of that leap yet. You mention “sales forces, teams of publicists” and contacts in the media. If I had to hire twenty salespeople, I wouldn’t be able to split profits with authors 50/50%, which is a part of my current contractual agreements. “Publicists” are hired by authors typically, or work directly with authors to find paying or free publicity gigs for them. Several of my authors have worked with publicists before, so if you look at it that way – I do have a team of publicists. I have a fantastic contact list for the media, and I regularly see notices regarding my releases in regional newspapers.

Yes, the catalog is free via a link from the Catalog page to the Box account. You can see information regarding Anaphora titles there, and you can examine my design ability on a color book. If somebody wants to buy a printed copy, they can buy it on Amazon.

Anybody that is currently not running a successful and profitable independent press can’t make conclusions regarding how a press should or can stay profitable. The goal is profitability via the best possible strategies to achieve such profitability. I have thoroughly evaluated my options and have made the choices that are of the most benefit for both Anaphora and my authors. Discount copies for authors are offered by all publishers. I do not require all authors to buy copies, more than half of my 60 prior publications were ones where the author didn’t buy any copies of their books. In some cases, the author wants to buy discount copies without prompting. In other cases, I like a book, but doubt it can be profitable enough for me to make an investment, so I ask authors to buy 40 copies at a discount price for their re-sale. You keep repeating that I’m not better than a vanity press, well I’ve heard from university publishers that have asked me to pay them $5,000 for publishing with them, so I’m sure that my deal is definitely better than a vanity press.

I haven’t had any titles that haven’t sold “at all.” The 40 copies purchase doesn’t seriously off-set the enormous costs in time and money that go into publishing a new book, and that is not what this is for. The copies purchase usually means that the writer will definitely do at least one, and sometimes a dozen readings to actively promote their book. I think all of my authors buy more copies after they get the 40, because their readings are successful and they sell all of their books. This creates an enormous amount of exposure for Anaphora and is a form of marketing.

I hope you will read my prior replies closely before sending additional questions because those reading are likely to get a sense of pointless repetition of circular questions on points I’ve already answered with incredible detail. I doubt any other publisher has been this helpful in providing exact replies to your concerns on this website. But, if I can be of any further help, I would be delighted to oblige. Cheers, Anna Faktorovich, Ph.D., Director, Anaphora Literary Press