Query Letter Format

GypsyKing

Mischief is an art
Registered
Reaction score
I'm certain this has been mentioned before, and I apologise. That being said, this place is very large and I hope no one will mind me re-asking something that's been done instead of combing for hours.

I have a question concerning query letters. Most books and websites about publishing give a similar template for writing a query letter. They say start first with an opening paragraph describing why you are querying the agent as the book's title, word count and genre. Then there should be a paragraph describing the book's premise and plot. The final paragraph should be a short biography.

QueryShark (literary agent Janet Reid) disagrees. She says she knows why you're querying her, you don't have to draw her a map. She also says put the information about the book at the end after you have her hooked. QueryShark also advises not to put in a bio unless you have publishing credits because it's foolish to waste words on things she doesn't care about. QueryShark advises putting most of your effort into the 250 words about your writing because that's what she's interested in.

Miss Snark (if you don't know who she is, shame on you) is of a similar opinion. Time after time she says, 'Write well.'

So I'm curious as to what the community's thoughts are. Which is better, to go the standard one paragraph of book description and two of information, or streamline the information either in the beginning or end of the letter and focus on letting your writing shine through?

Obviously many agents will give guidelines on their preferred format. But many others do not, hence this question.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm certain this has been mentioned before, and I apologise. That being said, this place is very large and I hope no one will mind me re-asking something that's been done instead of combing for hours.

I have a question concerning query letters. Most books and websites about publishing give a similar template for writing a query letter. They say start first with an opening paragraph describing why you are querying the agent as the book's title, word count and genre. Then there should be a paragraph describing the book's premise and plot. The final paragraph should be a short biography.

QueryShark (literary agent Janet Reid) disagrees. She says she knows why you're querying her, you don't have to draw her a map. She also says put the information about the book at the end after you have her hooked. QueryShark also advises not to put in a bio unless you have publishing credits because it's foolish to waste words on things she doesn't care about. QueryShark advises putting most of your effort into the 250 words about your writing because that's what she's interested in.

Miss Snark (if you don't know who she is, shame on you) is of a similar opinion. Time after time she says, 'Write well.'

So I'm curious as to what the community's thoughts are. Which is better, to go the standard one paragraph of book description and two of information, or streamline the information either in the beginning or end of the letter and focus on letting your writing shine through?

Obviously many agents will give guidelines on their preferred format. But many others do not, hence this question.

Keep in mind that the world is ever-evolving and shifting and that books with this kind of info may be working from what was the standard a decade ago.

Visit Query Letter Hell here, under the Share Your Work subforum (password: vista) and you'll see a whole lot of stickies with information, including a running thread in which people post queries that have been successful. Then read the threads in progress, and some of the recent threads on the next few pages and you'll see what the current thinking is wrt queries.

GypsyKing

Mischief is an art
Registered
Reaction score
I think I just found some of those stickies, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

In my defense, the WaterCooler is very very very large.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
it is large. go check out QLH. And don't just read the stickies, read a BUNCH of threads....see what others are saying. And if you're REALLY smart, critique--everyone drags their feet on this at first, but the fastest ones out are usually the ones who put the most time in, and critiquing OTHER work is at least as important as re-writing your own query.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

You may want 2 queries--one with the old format and one with the new. Some agents still specifically request the old format on their websites.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal