History often believed, but is wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Nelson

Aspiring to authorship since 1975
Registered
Reaction score
This war had as much a single cause as any war in human history. It was argued as such by all sides at the time.

Here is a website which preserves the speeches of the secession commissioners - that is, men who were sent by pro-secession Southern Governors to persuade Southern states to vote for secession and join the Confederacy, during the initial crisis before Sumter.

Their arguments were meant to persuade states to secede. By far the overwhelming reason used to persuade undecided Southerners was the necessity of secession to preserve slavery.

http://civilwarcauses.org/commish.htm

These are largely taken from a very good book by Charles Dew called Apostles of Disunion.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/081392104X/?tag=absowrit-20

For more good discussion, here is a lecture by Prof. David Blight of Yale University on causes of the Civil War.

http://oyc.yale.edu/history/hist-119/lecture-11

"Slavery was the cause of the war" is a pretty simple statement. That statement is misleading, in my opinion, because it gives the impression that Northerners in general were on a crusade to abolish slavery. It gives the impression that the Lincoln Administration was about to make some sort of direct strike against slavery, and the southern states seceded to avoid that strike. It gives the impression that one of the main war goals of the Union, from the very beginning, was to end slavery forever.

None of those impressions are correct. As a presidential candidate, Lincoln had made it crystal-clear that he had no intention of disturbing slavery in the states where it was already established. (And I am unaware of any evidence that he was being anything less than honest.) It was for precisely that reason that the more radical abolitionists, such as William Lloyd Garrison, didn't feel much enthusiasm for him. I'm not sure how you can say "slavery was the cause of the war" when there was a dominant consensus, both North and South, that slavery should be allowed to continue in those places where it already existed.

When fighting began, the Lincoln Administration and Northern opinion in general were quite clear-cut that the goal of the war was not to abolish slavery, but to preserve the Union. After two years, when the Administration finally did tilt towards emancipation, part of its motivation was a desire to use emancipation as a hammer against the secessionists. I'm sure a moral repugnance against slavery was also part of the motivation, but that repugnance had never before been strong enough to lead the Administration to call for immediate and outright abolition.

So if you ask what the proximate cause of the war was, I think the best answer is--secession. Asking what caused secession is not quite the same as asking what caused the war.

And I think it's pretty well accepted among historians that the proximate cause of secession was a conflict over whether to allow slavery in Western territories. That's not exactly inconsistent with saying "slavery was the cause"; but I think the more precise statement is far better.

It is arguable that the ultimate cause of secession was a fear on the part of Southerners (perhaps well-founded, perhaps not) that in spite of Lincoln's promises, the North would eventually seek to undermine slavery in the states where it was already established. Even if that's the case, saying "slavery was the cause" still seems too simple to me. Slavery had been established for many decades--why did it wait so long to cause secession? There must have been other causes that made the issue come to the fore right then.

More generally, I think it's a mistake to ever look for a single cause for any war. There are always underlying causes, mediate causes, proximate causes--causes come in whole chains and networks.

I don't think I'm disagreeing too much with professional historians here. If you find any point where I'm contradicting what Blight or any other historian has said, I'll be willing to listen.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I basically agree with you, Kevin. Although I'm a pretty firm believer that all the causes of the Civil War eventually lead back to slavery, that's simply the "least common denominator" so to speak. It was a tangled web of dependency, exploitation, willful ignorance, violence, etc. The North basically turned a blind eye to the evils of slavery for nearly a century. It comes back (for me) to Lincoln's second inaugural address, in which he makes it clear the North isn't off the hook, indeed that the war was God's judgement on the South AND North for the sin of slavery. I watched a particular lecture in which one of the speakers compared the second inaugural to a jeremiad, and I definitely see the "angry God" element.

Anyway, I've always called BS on the states' rights thing because the question becomes, the right to do what? You can argue that the states didn't binding themselves forevermore to remain in the Union, that they had the right to remove themselves if they found the federal government objectionable. But then you also have to acknowledge that the Federal government had no choice but to defend itself in such a case. If any state could leave at will, the "Union" would cease to be viable.

Although you're correct that the North was not on an abolitionist crusade, they were determined not to let the South leave the Union (the Copperheads notwithstanding). And why did the Southern states leave the Union one by one when Abraham Lincoln was elected? They were afraid the Lincoln Administration would limit slavery. Yes, Lincoln promised not to interfere with slavery where it already existed, but 1) the South didn't believe/trust him and 2) the limiting of slavery to where it already existed was essentially a death sentence to slavery, and Southerners knew it. Limiting its scope would eventually doom it to a slow death by assfixiation, and this is exactly what men like Lincoln wanted.

Many a Yankee's eyes were opened upon coming to the South, seeing the reality of slavery, meeting "contrabands", and/or seeing black soldiers fight. By the end of the war, I would say it was a crusade against slavery for the majority of those engaged in it.

One thing I want to point out: Just because slavery didn't cause civil war in the first four-score-and-five years of the Union doesn't mean it wasn't a root cause of the war once it broke out. Those were an uneasy 85 years during which civil war was averted at one point by little more than the force of Andrew Jackson's personality. South Caroline blinked first. The reason civil war didn't break out earlier is, quite frankly, because the North caved repeatedly (see: Missouri Compromise, Compromise of 1850, Kansas-Nebraska Act, James Buchanan).

So, yes, I agree that saying "slavery was the cause of the Civil War" masks the weighty nuances of the Antebellum period. But, honestly, I think it's essentially a true statement.

For me, this discussion never gets old. Endlessly fascinating.

Bush_moon

Banned
Reaction score
I must admit, this thread is exactly right! History that is believed comes from various sources to get that way. I have seen a couple of things so far, or got to know a few people who were present or part of some world events at the root of them that really changed my perspective or enlightened me as to the truth.

BM

Status
Not open for further replies.