Not open for further replies.

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
*sigh*

Second time I've had this problem. Second brand laptop too.

The DC power jack on the back of my laptop won't connect with the power cord. It wiggles around in the socket, such that when I push the plug in, it moves away. It took pushing the plug in and holding it tight against the case to have the battery light come on, only to watch it go out when I released the plug.

Rest of the components run fine. Just this darn power problem.

This laptop: Dell M1710 XPS laptop

Anyone know if this is an expensive fix? Should I just retrieve the hard drive and declare it dead?

Thanks for your help!

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
The power jack inside the laptop has broken off its hinges. A technician would have to open the case and either replace the part (if this is possible), glue it in place, or provide you with a small wire that sticks a few inches out and in which you can plug the laptop.

This happened because your cable plugs at a 90 degrees angle with the laptop and this arrangement is sensitive to movements - and breakage. For you next laptop, buy a secondary power adapter for which the plug terminates with an 'L'-shaped detachable head. (ex: http://image.made-in-china.com/43f3...C-Tips-100-Compatible-for-Brand-Notebooks.jpg) . In this configuration, the power connection offers a lot more mechanical resistance and the cable unplugs from its head instead of breaking the laptop.

-cb

Status
Not open for further replies.