Not open for further replies.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Run for cover--and a nice light-hearted one at that! I do like it when the cover artist gets the tone right.

Qwest

Here on a catnap
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! And, agree, the cover is so lovely. I know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but I'll admit it looks like such a fun read!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hm, funny. One should not judge people and situations by their appearances--in other words, don't judge a book by its cover--but literal books? Hell, yeah, I judge by the cover.

Maryn, who may do that with people too, despite efforts not to

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I'm pretty good with creating filters and blocking accounts, but sometimes things slip through, esp. with group pics. I consider myself a fairly strong person, but seeing certain faces or names is like getting pepper-sprayed. Everything comes back to my forebrain like a Polaroid snapshot.

In other news, this is a call to improve my filters. And to stay off social media when I'm writing. Right? Yay, social media...

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Same here. Often I've made it so I do not see a particular person's or group's posts, but someone may innocently repost it or link to it and there I am, enraged or heartsick all over again. There's a small number of people I'd prefer never to think of again as long as I live.

In a similar vein, recently I've started following a handful of "lesser" celebrities, many of them comedians. I'll try them for a few weeks and if they're mostly silent, or only self-promote, I'll drop them again. A few have turned out to be pretty interesting people. The biggest issue--which is entirely on me--is that my tolerance for people who really cannot spell is pretty low. C'mon, dude, you play powerful political and businessmen, and you're telling me you can't spell consequence--or use a spell checker?

Maryn, let down

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lily! Love the cover!

I block and mute, but haven't tried filtering...I might have to look into it. I've mainly pulled back when social media gets to be too much, but filters might make it more tolerable.

Long day with pre-work breakfast meeting, work, then waiting for a phone call with a writer friend now... Then I will collapse for the night and watch something mindless.

I've been deep in research on the next book and loving this historical fiction thing. :)

Hope everyone is well!

~suki

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Well, here we are in April. I had hoped to have a novel, any novel written by May 1st, but that obviously isn't going to happen. All I can do now is possibly finish some sample chapters of a new project to send to my agent, and then on May 1, I drop it all and move on to JJD6.

It's pretty bad when I can't even keep to a self-self-imposed schedule.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What, you don't enjoy the whoosh of deadlines rushing by?

Maryn, arguing with Medicare

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
The breeze messes up my hair.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I once rode in a convertible without restraining my hair.

Once.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Ugh. Headcold. Voice already gone. And we're having a combo Birthday Party/Easter celebration Sunday. Will wear mask to bake brownies and pie.

At least now and not in 2 weeks for Malice Domestic.

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Kiddo has been fighting a cold this week too. Winter getting one last dig in.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Both of you stay away from me! After being sick with respiratory crud most of the winter, I do not care to go there again. I have already watched all of Law & Order, my go-to show for when I'm sick, enough to hold me for the rest of 2017.

I got my rights back for the first novel I sold, since its sales are down to almost nothing. Even so, the publisher was kind of snippy about it, like how dare I want to assume sole ownership of my own creation after allowing them to profit from it for the duration of the contract? I used some most unladylike language, but only to myself. I was pleasant and warm in my request, so screw 'em. I won't submit there again if they're going to be unprofessional.

Maryn, seeking new cover art

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Yay for firmly attached retinas!

Something I didn't expect to say today...

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, there goes the savings. We have been in dire need of a new sectional for at least two years, maybe three. Whenever my favorite seat started leaning left, which it has for a good long while. Plus there's nothing between the upholstery fabric and the wood on that arm. This afternoon we shopped for a replacement at a store with a good sale, and we brought home a fabric swatch to prove that we're serious.

I still believe we could do better in terms of money and selection with a couch and a chair, but Mr. Maryn is adamant that it has to be a sectional with an L shape. Every couple's fights should be about matters of this level of importance, where the loser doesn't mind losing.

Maryn, loser

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Well, there goes the savings. We have been in dire need of a new sectional for at least two years, maybe three. Whenever my favorite seat started leaning left, which it has for a good long while. Plus there's nothing between the upholstery fabric and the wood on that arm. This afternoon we shopped for a replacement at a store with a good sale, and we brought home a fabric swatch to prove that we're serious.

I still believe we could do better in terms of money and selection with a couch and a chair, but Mr. Maryn is adamant that it has to be a sectional with an L shape. Every couple's fights should be about matters of this level of importance, where the loser doesn't mind losing.

Maryn, loser

Maryn, we love sectionals. We're on our second one. Hated to retire our first because it had actual springs in the cushions(!) but all the springs went sproing and we got pointy steel in our butt cheeks whenever we sat. :( The one we have now is going on its 8th year, but it's only survived that long because we've repaired it and re-stuffed the cushions twice. We've looked at prices for a new one but like you, we'd have to wipe the savings. A new bathroom without a spongy wood floor is higher on the list...

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is our fourth sectional and I'm less in love with them than I once was. It always seems to work out that I have a seat--the only one with reading light--and Mr. Maryn "owns" the rest of it. I'd rather have a really great chair and ottoman for myself.

But this isn't worth blocking.

Spongy bathroom floor, that's bad. I suppose the contractor will have to remove whatever tile or flooring you have, then the subfloor, which might extend beyond the bathroom. Sounds like a huge job! When and if you redo that bathroom and its floor, give me a holler--I learned some stuff about redoing bathrooms by making mistakes when we redid ours. (And of course my eye just zooms in on those goofs.)

Maryn, who will go order the sectional this morning

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Which, of course, makes me think of Breaking Bad.

We are back from the furniture store. Goodbye, money! However, it should be ready much faster than the last one, which is good. I have standing instructions to get more pillows that will coordinate with our color choice. I'd go out today, but it's raining, and you all know I'm made of sugar. Or salt. Something water soluble.

Maryn, frail and delicate flower of a woman

Status
Not open for further replies.