The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Volume 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! Day job has been crazy busy, and anticipated September launch is adding to that, so I haven't been online as much. And then I was down for the count with a bad cold for about 10 days. So, hi! :hi:

DeannaR - I hope you send revenge queries!

Maryn, Lily, Tas -- Ah, basements and accumulated stuff... We have boxes that I moved here 12 years ago, and then we moved from the old place to our house 6 years ago. But we finally got some lovely bookshelves for our living room and dining room, that gave us more surfaces for display. And there were things I knew I wanted out. So we brought up about 4-5 boxes, I went through them, put out some stuff, tossed a lot of stuff (boy is it interesting what I thought I couldn't part with 12 years ago compared to now), and then repacked one smaller box of keepsakes and took them to the attic. Felt good, and it's so nice to see those things I'd either forgotten I had or knew I had and missed. :)

And I agree on this heat! I'm ready for fall. Sorry for the AC, Maryn!

Tas -- yay for vacation! (Even if several months away).

~suki

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a bout of book adulting this past week. Got all my accounting stuff caught up for self-pub, and all four books submitted for Ingram. Still waiting on proof copies for the last three, but it should all be done by the 1st of September.

Now I just have to get bookstores/libraries to order them.

I have the option to pay for marketing through Ingram's catalogue, but I think I'll wait and do that with the Peacemaker re-release. (And of course, the final Jesse book when it's time)

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, I wrote out a long post then hit "Reply to Thread" instead of "Post Quick Reply" and lost it. <grumble grumble> Well, here we go again (though likely less long).

Tas -- well done with the adulting, and very cool that the books will be out there again by September-ish. I can imagine the accounting stuff and formatting work, etc., but yay that they will be out there again soon through Ingram!

I did some publishing adulting these last two weeks, too. Mainly I sought help with a few things (which I really don't like to do) so as to try to help get Radical out there more. Some of it cost some money, and all of it will mean more work for me (if any of it is successful), but hopefully I'll at least feel like I gave this weird book its best shot. And a few more good reviews came in, so that makes me feel immensely better that readers/reviewers who "get it" are not just flukes.

I'm so done with summer, and ready for fall, but then I remind myself that I desperately need these next few weeks to get some stuff done, so stop wishing the days away. ETA: But this time of year always makes me crave new pens and notebooks and all the "school supplies." I might just treat myself to some this year. :)

Now, if I can just stay positive, willing to put myself out there, and get my brain to resume work on the next book. ;)

Hope you all are enjoying these waning days of summer.

~suki

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I had a product to do this stuff to. Or do I? My published works have languished and I'm fairly disheartened about other publishers in the genre, even more so about how much I'd have to learn to self-publish well. Would I know good cover art if I saw it? How do I know for sure I don't need pro edits, or that I do and who is qualified? (I've seen so many people I don't consider qualified offer paid edits. Eek!) And how do I, the princess of the low tech, manage all the tech-y stuff?

In other news, my writing group met today and they loved my typewriter humorous erotica. I'm struggling to find a market for it, but it was better received than I'd dared to hope.

Maryn, easily discouraged

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
I am totally willing to share what I know about self-pubbing, for whatever it's worth.

Fixed some problems with my Ingram files, so waiting for digital proofs again. Someone ordered 3 copies of MBG already, so my book WILL be in a store for the first time ever. (I know who it was, so I'm hoping he sends me a pic of my book on a shelf)

Once all four books are live, I'm going to talk to a local indie here about being my source for people to order signed copies.

Also considering contacting a big indie in Seattle and asking about a signing event when we're there in March. I fully expect them to laugh and say "Who?"

Not sure where this productive streak has come from. I feel like I've shaken off this fugue that plagued me all summer.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you'd pardon my effrontery: Shake it, baby!

I'm in a dry, non-writing state myself. I have them every so often, and I don't like it, not even when it's allowed me to start sorting the basement's clutter. (Both the washer and dryer have flat, smooth tops. Who knew?)

Maryn, astonished

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
I have now joined a yarn subscription service. My descent into madness has begun.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I shall join you in the asylum. Although my mad fabric buying may slow because the amount you must spend to get free shipping at my favorite place went up. Still, I will no doubt buy faster than I sew.

Maryn, whose dress still isn't done

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I went with the quarterly delivery instead of the monthly. Just to try to keep a handle on it.

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
So, got all my Pirate Ninja Press books up at Ingram. Need to contact my local indie to see if they're willing to carry/ship signed copies.

Also got my first yarn box. Now I have 820 yards of stunning yarn (silk/baby camel) and no idea what to do with it. It's not enough for a sweater, but how many shawls does a girl need?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hm, I don't knit but there must be wonderful things other than shawls that you could make.

Sweater vest? Oh, wait, hopelessly unhip. Stocking cap? Toque? Shrug? Hooded scarf?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Sigh.

Another one bites the dust. Strigidae Publishing has shut its doors and my vampire horror is homeless.

:e2drunk:

Update: Found 2 markets and subbed to both. Never Give Up. Never Surrender.

Last edited:

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi All! I haven't been around much, and that's in part because of the build up to launch of Radical, which is today!!!

I know we've dwindled in number, and posting has dropped off, but this forum got me through querying my first novel, finding an agent, submission, publication, and then the writing and road to publication on Radical.

Even though we are fewer, and quieter, I value us. I just wanted to say thank you to those of us who still post and check in here. :)

And now that that is out of the way, Good for you on immediately resubbing, Lily!

And I bow down to the knitters and sewers. I'd love to be handy with such things. But I've tried several times and it's never taken.

~suki

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, lily. At this point I'll be happy if my publisher is happy. (Though it would be nice to earn out and start getting royalties regularly).

~suki

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Minor success: I emailed Amazon about linking the reviews from the old version of Peacemaker to the new one, and they did it super fast! So that's 11 reviews I won't lose.

Trudging along. Still not really writing.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, why is my post from yesterday eaten?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Every so often, a thread must sacrifice a post to the gods. I hope it wasn't important.

I was sick yesterday, the kind where you lie on the couch and don't even change the channel. Adding to the unpleasantness of that, the person from whom I caught this ("If you're not feeling well, maybe you should go home." "No, I drove all this way, I'll stay. Just keep your distance.") phoned me five times yesterday, three of them waking me up. I'm disinclined to call her back.

Maryn, petty and spiteful

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
A friend of my dad was annoyed with a girlfriend once, and didn't want to answer her phone calls, so he forwarded his phone to the dial-a-prayer number.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tas - yay for keeping your reviews!

I haven't been really writing, either, but all of a sudden I really want to. So, I'm taking that as a good sign.

(Your yesterday post must have look particularly tasty.)

Maryn -- boo on being sick, especially too sick to even enjoy TV, and then having to deal with annoyances from the person who got you sick.

At my day job, prepping for a big meeting tomorrow, but launch week chugs along. Launch party tomorrow night. I'll drop off some cake in here after. ;)

ETA: LOL. Tas, thanks for sharing that anecdote. Makes me want to put it in a story.

~suki

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're always grateful for leftover cake, always! Here's wishing you an excellent launch party.

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Just dropped my Peacemaker cover on Twitter if anyone wants to see...

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
So, somewhere in the last week, someone in Minnesota bought 4 print copies of Devil. This always intrigues me. Is it a book club? Is someone burning me in effigy? What's going on in Minnesota?

Status
Not open for further replies.