Page Size and Orientation in Word 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh

Registered
Reaction score
I was typing a regular size document in Word Starter 2010 when the page reduced in size to a small thumbnail and moved to the upper right corner of the display area. I was typing in bed and I have no idea how it happened. Now it has become the default display even when I open a new document. The Google searches I've done all contain the same advice which is to select a new page size, however it is already set to the correct size which in 8.5 x 11, but it still only appears as a tiny thumbnail. I need to get it back to the full size it was, it's so tiny I can not see anything on it.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Have you accidentally changed the zoom level? What happens when you deliberately change the zoom?

Have you tried looking at your document in draft view rather than print layout?

Hugh

Registered
Reaction score
Have you accidentally changed the zoom level? What happens when you deliberately change the zoom?

Have you tried looking at your document in draft view rather than print layout?

Yes! Thank you, I apparently did accidentally change the zoom. It was down to 10% when I found it, so I just needed to scroll it back up to 100%. I didn't even know there was a zoom function--your post prompted me to search for it in Office help and there was a video that pointed it out to me.

This issue can be marked as resolved now.

Perhaps I could also go back to writing with an ink pen in a notebook before I really do some damage.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to have helped!

Like most MS products, Word can do about 12 gazillion different things, of which most users need only about 10% in their normal work. Each user's vital 10% is a little different from every one else's, though, and Word (also typical of MS products) provides about 7 different ways to do each one of them.

So if you're new to Word it's probably worth it to spend some time with the tutorials and user guides out there, and to mess around with the app in a safe environment (i.e. using a disposable experimental doc, not something that matters to you) to get comfortable with the interface and the ways it can work for you. I particularly recommend getting familiar with styles -- how to set them up, how to apply them, how to change them. Using styles systematically can save you huge amounts of effort and hair-pulling down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.