• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Intrigue Publishing

Tnw32

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of this publishing company? Their sire doesn't even distinguish if they are a self publishing company or traditional. Since it doesn't say, I tend to assume they may be self publish.

Their link
http://www.intriguepublishing.com/

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Doesn't appear to be self-pub, no. They claim to pay advances against royalties.

Intrigue's COO has published several thrillers with the firm; a cursory glance at Amazon suggests their covers and typesetting aren't up to trade standards. My guess is that what we have here is a group of authors setting up a small press.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Porting to Bewares and Backgrounds

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Strictly speaking, a company can't be a "self publishing company" because self publishing involves doing it all yourself. With most of these companies, you end up paying over the odds for substandard services and won't sell many copies of your books.

I think Torgo has it about right.

Tnw32

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all and Old Hack, I apologize, I meant did they only offer self publishing services. The site looked pretty cheap and I could tell there was something not right about their company. Thanks again.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
From Intrigue's website:

President - Denise Camacho
Denise Camacho is the president of Intrigue Publishing. With over 10 years in the publishing realm, she brings her knowledge and expertise to those wanting to branch out and become published authors. As the president, Denise has the responsibility to review new submissions and make recommendations to the acquisitions team, that are worthy of becoming properties under the Intrigue Publishing banner. Her other responsibilities include managing contract negotiations with potential authors.
http://www.intriguepublishing.com/about.htm

According to her LinkedIn profile (http://www.linkedin.com/in/denisecamacho) Intrigue Publishing was founded in January 2004 - other sources give the date as 2006, 2007 and 2010. No other previous experience in publishing is mentioned.

Ms Camacho's husband is also involved with Intrigue:

Chief Operating Officer - Austin Camacho
Austin Camacho is the COO of Intrigue Publishing. With over 12 years of experience in the publishing industry, he brings a wealth of knowledge and knowhow to the publishing world.

From an interview with Mr Camacho dated May 2011 (my italics):

I had never heard of Intrigue Publishing. When I visited the web site, it appears to be a self-publishing company. Have you published other books through Intrigue?
Yes, Intrigue Publishing is my lovely wife Denise’s company and she has published only one other author.

Why did you choose to use a self-publishing company rather than a tradition publisher?
Originally I published through a Print On Demand company, because I lacked the patience to wait for a traditional publisher to realize I had a marketable product. I soon learned that I could do everything they did for me as well or better than they did, without handing someone else a pile of money. Subsequently I did place one of my novels with a small press but again, it turns out that I can do what needs to be done better and the finances work out a lot more in my favor.
http://writenowrightnow.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/author-interview-austin-camacho-russian.html

Those are not the words of someone able to bring 'a wealth of knowledge and knowhow to the publishing world', or at least to the world of real publishing. In addition to his thrillers Mr Camacho is the author of Successfully Marketing Your Novel in the 21st Century (Intrigue Publishing), the Amazon blurb for which says:

Mystery and thriller writer Austin S. Camacho offers hundreds of winning tactics that he has personally used to get his six novels onto the shelves of major bookstores and into the hands of thousands of readers.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0976218186/?tag=absowrit-20

So Intrigue can get their books into bookstores? Perhaps someone from the company could tell us more about that.

Mr Camacho is also the author of Successfully Marketing Print-on-Demand Fiction, published by vanity press Infinity Publishing.

Marketing Director - Sandra Bowman
Sandra Bowman is the Marketing Director of Intrigue Publishing. Bowman came to Intrigue Publishing with over 5 years of experience in marketing. As a published author of 2 novels and currently working on a mystery, Bowman has shown that she has what it takes to bring authors along in the world that she calls "Author ville." She actively participates in local events that encourage young people to use their creative minds to weave a story.

Sandra Bowman is also known as Sandra B Swangin Webster, and is the author of two novels published by Passionate Writer Publishing (which has its own thread here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205645) From her LinkedIn profile:

I am the marketing director for Intrigue Publishing. I come to this company with great experience because I am also an author and know what works.

There is no mention of what her previous experience in marketing entailed, and her "day job" appears to have nothing to do with marketing:

Student Data Accounting
Charles County Board of Education
Educational Institution; 1001-5000 employees; Education Management industry
November 1997 – Present (15 years 5 months)

Responsible for making sure that 1,000+ students have a schedule and maintaining the database for the teachers master schedule
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/sandra-b-swangin-webster/18/428/300

I also came across this interview:

Sandra: So tell our viewers what you are up to

B. Well I have just been contracted by Intrigue for my novels

Sandra: Congratulations...

B. Thank you. I'm so very excited.

Sandra: Tell us a little about Intriuge

B. Well they are a small press in Maryland and they are creating some serious waves in the publishing pool.

Sandra: Like what?

B. Well, for one they offer advances. And no other small press does that

Sandra: Wow. A small press offering advances.

B. Yes, there motto is: Making good writers into great authors. They believe that you can't ask authors to create a masterpiece without giving them some incentive.
http://bswanginwebster.webs.com/upcloseandpersonal.htm

Intrigue Publishing is the only small press giving advances? Really?!

Last edited:

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Contract offer. This is the sixth contract offer I've had for The Girl They Sold to the Moon in three months, now that the fulls are being read. There are still 10 more fulls out there and my agent has her subs out there.

Two months response on the full--very cordial--offering negotiable advance. Once again, agent has to take this one and sort this little swarm out. I don't envy her a bit--I would NOT know what to do in this case.

tri

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
How does the advance stack up against the other independent publishers on your list? Token amount or comparable with better known small presses?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Haven't got the contract yet--this just happened. What I'm seeing is, from these smaller houses who claim negotiable or small advances, is $100 to $300 or a bit more. Then there are those that go up to the $1,000 to $2,500 range. I typically think the "token" advances are under $100 or so. Ralans publisher index lists some actual figures and they seem to be all over the place, but there does appear to be vague/approximate averages.

Anything over $2,500, I would consider large independents or even medium-size publishing houses, if there is such a thing still in existence and coined as such.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
OMG, Tri, you're on fire here!!! Now you have some good options. So what does Intrigue pay in advances roughly?

I haven't even heard of them till just now.

FluffBunny

Disapproving plot bun disapproves.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
Congrats, Tri! Make your agent earn their percentage! :D

At first glance, the thing that really stands out is that their "Latest News" on their homepage is an upcoming events announcement for a conference that was held last September. Really? Nothing has happened between then and now?

They misspelled one of their own author's names (ouch!): Penny Clover Peterson should be Petersen. D.B. Corey who has a book coming out with them in August has a blog here - http://www.dbcorey.blogspot.com that chronicles part of his experience with Intrigue and this part caught my eye:
But the publisher has the copy that says Approved Final Copy. If you change it, then it won’t be the approved final copy anymore. So you bite the bullet and send them the NEW Approved Final Copy—Ver2! Then you hope LegalZoom hasn’t sent it to the Copyright Office yet or it’s gonna cost you more money and you call them and tell them to trash the one you sent yesterday and use this NEW Ver2!
(bolding added) I'm not sure if the bolded refers to, "OMG! The publisher's going to be mad because I'm costing them money!" or, "OMG! This is going to cost me more money!".

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
So, how are sales, Tri?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
So, how are sales, Tri?

Oh, Cao. Sales are really abysmal and have been since its second month of publication up until now.

(Undercover)--My advance is about three times what Chumplet got upstream there, and I sure haven't earned out. I don't think I ever will. My agent pulled that deal. Intrigue gave me a stunningly beautiful cover. Jeeze, it's got glitter in and it's full of soft tones. Really feminine, which I like for the gals.

Major problem with this publisher--no promotion or marketing. ALL of it is left to author. We used to get reminders every day to hit up FB and Twitter. It almost got to the point of social media abuse. You are also expected to cross-promote all the authors in their stable. I've never had a marketing manager bring out the buggy whip so much and start swinging.

The Good--real nice covers, good editing and very good retail prices. Average communication skills.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
They're closed to submissions now. And we were just talking about that too, Tri.

Yes, we were. Intrigue could do real well if they pushed for guest blogs and book reviews. They supposedly have some kind of semi-distribution deal going on. I think is was IPG's small press arm. I could be wrong. We got notice of it months ago.
The owners do hit up every conference they can attend. I'll give them that. And if they want a book bad enough, they cut loose with the money.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Cao. Sales are really abysmal and have been since its second month of publication up until now.

Sorry to hear that, tri.

Major problem with this publisher--no promotion or marketing. ALL of it is left to author. We used to get reminders every day to hit up FB and Twitter. It almost got to the point of social media abuse. You are also expected to cross-promote all the authors in their stable. I've never had a marketing manager bring out the buggy whip so much and start swinging.

The Good--real nice covers, good editing and very good retail prices. Average communication skills.

Dear lord. That is NOT how books are sold in good number. It's fine for writers to promote their books on social media a little bit but too much is off-putting; and if their efforts aren't properly supported by their publishers, there's no point at all in making those efforts.

This makes it sound as though they really don't know what they're doing when it comes to selling books. One to avoid, then.

Yes, we were. Intrigue could do real well if they pushed for guest blogs and book reviews. They supposedly have some kind of semi-distribution deal going on. I think is was IPG's small press arm. I could be wrong. We got notice of it months ago.
The owners do hit up every conference they can attend. I'll give them that. And if they want a book bad enough, they cut loose with the money.

What conferences do they attend? If they're writers' conferences, there's little point in the publishers focusing on them as they are for writers, not readers, and won't sell many copies.

If they don't have proper distribution it's no surprise their sales are so poor.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
They mention that they attend conferences associated with Thriller Writers of ...(whatever), Mystery Writers of...(whatever) and I think the big Romance group. I think they've been to BEA a few times. We were also asked to join a few of these. I know that I've never seen so many small press authors sponsor and conduct their own book signings. Got an email this morning about listing the foods your MC loves and can't do without. I forget where it was going or where this info was going to be showcased. I erased this message, largely because I didn't understand the angle of it. Either it's brilliantly innovative or a complete waste of time.

I like them, they reach out and keep us in the loop. They're a friendly bunch. But that doesn't help sales one iota.

Last edited:

billylyons

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Billy Lyons. I’d like to provide some additional information on Intrigue Publishing. I signed with them a year or so ago to publish my debut paranormal romance/urban fantasy novel, Blood and Needles, which will be released June 15. I could not be any happier with my experience.

Austin and Denise are extremely competent business people who take on only a few authors each year in order to provide each one with personalized attention. They also have an excellent marketing person, Susan, who is great at her job.

Intrigue provided several edits of my manuscript (content and grammar), a great cover, and signing appearances. In addition, I receive constant recommendations via email regarding how to promote myself as an author. Anytime I have questions, I receive prompt, detailed, personalized answers. I also received a small advance, and being a virtually unknown author with only two published short stories to his credit, I felt very happy to receive any advance at all. Everyone at Intrigue has been very supportive in every way, and have quickly become not just my publishers, but my friends.

Intrigue has provided me with a level of service that far exceeds anything I was expecting from an independent publisher, on all fronts.

I hope this helps.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you're happy with Intrigue, Billy. It would be useful if you'd come back and tell us how things went once your book has been published and available for six months or so.

Round Two

Behind the door of a small house.
Registered
Reaction score
Billy -

What sort of pre-publication reviews have you received? Did the Intrigue people let you know how many advance orders came in from retailers (both chains and independent bookstores)?

Wesley_S_Lewis

Boo Radley with a laptop
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.WesleySLewis.com
Intrigue Publishing cancelled my publishing contract because I told them their copy editing of my manuscript was unprofessional. Here are a few examples of their handiwork:

P.77:

"No," he replied, "just a message from Meredith Higgins, suggesting that all New Wave associates forgo attending any of tonight's receptions,"—his voice assumed a high, preachy tone—"'lest we appear callous in the face of New Wave's recent loss.'"

was changed to this:

error-1.jpg

P.78:

"It would be a far cry from eight hundred thousand dollars. A ten-thousand-dollar stack could be replicated with"—she did the calculations in her head—"less than three hundred dollars. That means we'd need"—more quick math—"just under twenty-four thousand dollars in all."

was changed to this:

error-2.jpg

P.88:

"Yes," she said, turning the thong inside out. "See"—she pointed to the crotch—"these actually have a gusset lining."

was changed to this:

error-3.jpg

And that was after they gave my contemporary adult thriller a "final" cover that not only looked like the love child of an early '90s YA novel and an early '90s textbook but also contained multiple typos in the amateurishly written jacket copy:

bad-cover-1.jpg

bad-jacket-copy.jpg

This is what I mean about it looking like a '90s YA cover combined with a '90s textbook:

90s-covers.jpg

After I begged them to remove the yellow line from the middle of the front cover and get rid of the yellow box around my name, they went an entirely different direction and gave me this cover, which is mostly all right:

sunrise-cover.jpg

Except for the part that looks like it was composited in Microsoft Paint circa 1995:

bad-composit.jpg

In case you're wondering, no I never actually told them I thought their covers looked like 90s textbooks composited in Microsoft Paint. I was always very polite with them, even in the end when I felt I had to be firm about the inadequate copy edits.

You can read more about the copy-edit issue HERE.

There is a related thread HERE.

And you can read all of my actual correspondence with the publisher HERE.

Last edited: