Vic Toews approved the TV show filming on immigration raids?

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
If only we here in the States could get permission to bring cameras into commercial slaughter houses.

I don't see this as a bad thing. It's been pretty much proven again and again that when the camera is rolling, a) people behave differently, and b) if there is a Jungian scenario of extreme abuses of power pitted mercilessly against extreme helplessness, the camera always favors the person who represents extreme helplessness.

Which is to say that the (a) scenario means the weak and helpless will be treated better than usual. And the (b) scenario means that if the weak are NOT treated better, there will be video proof to prosecute the aggressors. This is why cops hate being videoed during the performance of their duties, the camera is NOT their friend when they get out of line.

The only way I could see this as bad would be if the director/editor crafts the show so that the immigrants are depicted as truly unsympathetic reprobates and the immigration agents are held as the shining heroes in white hats. This might turn out to be an immigration agent version of COPS. And in that show the officers were always perfect gentlemen (and ladies).

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
If it's the show I'm thinking of, it is the border agent version of 'COPS'. And, most episodes take place indoors, at a postal sorting station, looking for stuff being mailed into Canada, or at either a border crossing or the Vancouver airport, watching people make lame excuses for why they're trying to enter the country with the wrong papers, dodgy articles, or a B.S. story. One time they chased a sex offender. He was on a bus. Oh, yes, excitement.
I imagine the producers are desperate for something a little more exciting, and this raid will be edited to reflect that, even if they have to stick some poor guy's pant-leg in a dog's mouth and shake them both, like they're animating a Dr. Who alien.
What they've got now is a mildly interesting look at the stuff average people try to get away with. Very Canadian.
I suspect that if they boiled down 3 or 4 years of episodes they might get enough action for a more exciting 'COPS'-style show. (I'd say 'American-style', but the Canadian version of 'COPS', called 'Serve and Protect' was exactly like 'COPS', only with places I recognised.
In an article in a Vancouver paper, one of the people from the show said that they had releases from everyone before they started filming, which is ridiculous, if it's a surprise raid, unless the only people that count are the officers.