Hello there.

kristenvalentine

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Kristen. I've never been part of a writers' forum before, so I'm pretty excited to be joining in the discussion! I write crime fiction--after watching too many Mike Hammer and Quincy re-runs on A&E as a kid, I started "writing" detective stories in my head when I was about eleven or so, and I guess it never really stopped. Now I generally type them, though :)

So anyway, hello!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Kristen. Enjoy exploring here!

Jim Riley

Louisiana: Sportsman's Paradise
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. I also enjoyed watching Quincy. Good Luck.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

AW is a huge place, and there's a lot of information to be found here. Take your time and browse around to get a feel of the various forums.

Feel free to stop by Jed's Newbie Pub at the top of the New Members forum. It's a friendly place where you can hang out, have a virtual drink, and strike up a conversation with other members.

And don't forget to check out the Newbie Guide. Enjoy your stay. :)

F.L.N

The Old Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Kristen,

Welcome to AW!

Writing is good! Easier for the rest of us to enjoy... Unless you're a heck of a story teller.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Crime and detective stories are always fun. I read mostly speculative fiction, but I don't mind a good mystery every now and then.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kristen!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about the forum software can be found in the
FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!

See if Katiemac has the answer here.
and check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips!

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Posting your writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area is explained here. This link covers the most common problems posts. found in SYW *Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Fun AW social links:
The Office Party
Kelly's Soft Asylum

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

DavidO

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Crime fiction, nice!

Ever read any Robert B Parker by chance? My favorite crime fiction writer. Best dialog, and books you can read in one sitting.

kristenvalentine

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Ever read any Robert B Parker by chance? My favorite crime fiction writer. Best dialog, and books you can read in one sitting.

He's one of my favorites too. I am envious of how effortless his dialogue comes off. Do you have a favorite novel of his? It's pretty hard to pick but Paper Doll is probably mine.

Epsilon

Young and clueless.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kristen. I think you'll make a lot of friends on these boards, writing crime fiction and all. Best of luck with your writing.

DavidO

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

He's one of my favorites too. I am envious of how effortless his dialogue comes off. Do you have a favorite novel of his? It's pretty hard to pick but Paper Doll is probably mine.

Yeah I've read all his Spenser novels, many multiple times. Paper Doll was definitely a good one. I really like Potshot, that's probably my favorite. It's the one where the gang's all together, like a superhero ensemble.

I also like Now and Then, any of the books with the Grey Man (Small Vices, Cold Service). A Catskill Eagle was pretty epic even though Susan really got on my nerves in that one. I never read a book of his that I didn't enjoy, though I probably like his earlier stuff more than the later stuff he did. I also have an appreciation for Double Duece because it's a shade heavier and realer than the rest.

Have you gotten a chance to read Lullaby, the latest one, partially written by Ace Atkins? I thought that one was pretty good. I liked the Maddie character. The only thing that bothered me was that the image of Boston was more like a generic "Southie" white trash feel of Boston rather than Parker's unique flavor of Boston.

But yeah, I love Parker. His books got me through high school.

RIP sir.

Last edited: