• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

eFiction Magazine / eFiction Publishing

TCC Edwards

Registered
Reaction score
I just got a story published by eFiction. I'll just relate a few facts, with my personal take:

- The acceptance e-mail came just over a month after submission. It's easy to see how such a quick turnaround is very attractive, especially to new authors.

- The magazine with my story came out barely more than a week after acceptance.

- The acceptance suggested that their would be final edits and cleanup asked of me. I was never asked, and I have yet to find any changes between submission and acceptance. I have learned from one other long-time author for the Romance imprint that quick turnaround is normal, and that final edits are rarely asked.

- It's hard to find reviews of any of the imprints that aren't done by authors or editors.

- I have been asked to join the volunteer reviewers - submissions are vetted through talk on Submittable, as is pretty normal these days. What is unusual is asking contributors to volunteer more of their time ...

- FWIW, the imprints do seem to be successful enough to keep the site and the process going. I haven't found any hard data on just how many sales and subscriptions eFiction takes in, though.

I've got mixed emotions here. I still feel glad about getting published, and I want to like eFiction - the issues look great on mobile devices and quite a few of the stories I've seen so far have been good. I can see why it's an attractive choice for some writers, and yet there are some fishy things going on.

truantoranje

Registered
Reaction score
They currently have a 90% acceptance rate on the Submission Grinder website. That's an enormous red flag.

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Doug Lance's current venture, Storytellers, is being dissolved immediately and no one is getting paid.

Due to unforeseeable circumstances regarding our publishing deal with Amazon, Storyteller is forced to shut down effective immediately. All magazine issues will be removed from sale. All rights revert to their authors.

Those expecting royalty payments, I'm sorry to say that without revenues from our Amazon subscriptions, the company, which was already operating at a loss will be dissolved and those payments will not be coming. On the plus side, since every issue and all trace of publication will be scraped from the internet, you will retain all rights for publication of your work in another venue.

I am broken-hearted that this has happened to us. I fought as much as I could with Amazon, but they were talking about legal action if I pushed more and with them being a multi-billion dollar company, it just wasn't a fight we could win.

Thank you so much for reading and contributing to the magazine for these past seven years.

You all have made this project more successful than I ever expected. It's been an absolute blast to be on this journey with you.

THANK YOU!

Your Editor-in-Chief,

Doug

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Just for the record: Nebula Rift, etc. were "reformulated" into Storytellers early '17.

Anyone know the deets of his "publishing deal" and/or how it failed?