Requery After Rejection?

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Last year I submitted a query to my dream agency. The agent I submitted to passed me along to her partner who request a partial and then the full. She asked for revisions which I struggled with and after resubmitting, she passed.

I let the ms sit while trying to figure out what was wrong with it and I had an epiphany. It's a mystery and my third person dual POV was totally wrong for it. I'm in the midst of rewriting it and it's clicking how the issues the agent wanted me to address and I couldn't in third, are no longer a problem. First person POV frees me up to really connect the reader to the story. It feels natural and not forced and I'm really, really happy with it. (Yay!)

Here's the link if anyone's interested in reading the first few hundred words http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265155

It should be ready to go out in about six weeks. Would it be okay to requery the agent who rejected it? She didn't suggest I rewrite it in first but I think she would be happy with the way it has improved my story.

Last edited:

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
I wouldn't send any pages, but it seems to me a query that reminds the agent of what happened before and admits the major rewrite wouldn't be a bad idea. They were interested before, and might be willing to see a rewrite. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
I'd send a polite letter explaining the situation and asking if they'd like to see it again. They may say no, but as long as it's polite, I think it's unlikely that they'll be horribly offended. (And if they are, maybe they're not your dream agency, anyway.)

DennisB

Banned
Reaction score
How many sales reps overcome rejection through perseverance? Maybe some agents will be offended that you've actually tried TWICE to sell something you believe in, but remember, they were lost anyway. Go ahead, but make it professional.

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! Now I need to finish the rewrite. I feel like I'm bleeding words, going from third person to first. Thank goodness it doesn't read that way.

GinJones

Registered
Reaction score
I'd recommend a nice, succinct explanation of what you said here -- that you appreciated her feedback, had an epiphany, did a massive rewrite, including changing pov, and you wondered if she'd be willing to take another look. Give her a one-line summary of the book and perhaps a brief reminder of her main problem with the story.

I did something similar when I was referred to an agent who'd already rejected me. I sent her a note explaining that she'd rejected on a naked query, but that so-and-so recommended contacting her, and would she be willing to take a look? She said yes. It's a slightly different situation, because she hadn't read any pages, but I think a nice, polite and BRIEF letter wouldn't be taken amiss.

As a reality check, you should be aware, though, that if the agent thought it COULD be rewritten, she would probably have said so, and this will be an uphill battle, so don't get your hopes up too high.

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
I'd recommend a nice, succinct explanation of what you said here -- that you appreciated her feedback, had an epiphany, did a massive rewrite, including changing pov, and you wondered if she'd be willing to take another look. Give her a one-line summary of the book and perhaps a brief reminder of her main problem with the story...

...As a reality check, you should be aware, though, that if the agent thought it COULD be rewritten, she would probably have said so, and this will be an uphill battle, so don't get your hopes up too high.

Thanks, GinJones. The issues I was unable to address seem to be no longer a problem now that I'm writing it in the proper POV. And yes, I'll definately mention that. :)

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
What's the absolute worst thing that could happen if you requery? Oh my gosh, she might say no! Heaven forfend!

Try as I have (and I have!) there is no such thing as the Query Police. If you break a rule, you will not be hauled off the the hoosegow.

I say re-query with gusto. Agents are looking for good writers. Clearly you had something they were interested in, and now you've made it better.