Salutations

sdbrown

New Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Good day everyone,

I am not too good at introducing myself but I guess I will try. My name is Steven and I currently reside in Maryland. I'm a numbers cruncher professionally (more specifically a money man). I work about fifty hours per week; sometimes more and sometimes less depending on the jobs needs at the time. I do have a family of course which does keep me quite busy.

I came across Absolute Write when looking for reviews on publishers and self-publishers. I gave up trying to find an agent after 67 rejections (that number is still growing as I have a few still out there) so I began researching publishers myself. I got tired of the nearly identical replies in all responses "...I do not feel t[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]hat I am the right agent to represent your work." I guess I was just frustrated at the impersonal approach of the writing industry; even a simple response that either spelled my name or my book correctly would be nice. But alas my personal opinions and problems are no one else's concerns so the true reason I am here...

I'm leaning more towards self-publishing now so I'll be roaming the forums looking into self-publisher reviews.

p.s. sorry it felt good to let off that little huff from my chest in para two. Apologies lol!
[/FONT]

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

I'm just going to say, that about half of the queries agent receive are wrong in some way.
And the query letters typically aren't the best. You can find more on this in Query Letter Hell in the SYW section by reading the stickies.
And, your writing and story might not be up to publishable (though, I do not know for sure).

There's no such thing as self-publisher reviews. You publish your book yourself. There's companies to help you, that's what you want to look for.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, sdbrown. You'll find a lot of community wisdom and experience here to help you take figure out what your next step is. While you're finding your way around, feel free to come hang out at the Pub.

Enjoy exploring!

sdbrown

New Fish
Registered
Reaction score
@WillSauger - I know what you mean about query letters. Mine deffinetely is not the strongest and it never will be. Like I mentioned at before I am not good at selling myself. I've used betareads (family, friends, and of course acquaintances (coworkers I somewhat know)). I've gone through the editing services and worked on the writing style. Most people like the book apparently while some its not their cup of tea and thats fine! I guess a huge issue could be the query letter (which i hate lol, let the writing speak for itself). I'll check out that forum. Thanks

@AlleyCat - Thanks for the welcome!

@ Kylabelle - I sure hope so about the wisdom part. I know I need any and all help I can get :D

@WriteWho - Thanks for the welcome!

Rockweaver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Steven and welcome to the cooler. glad you have dropped in etc. etc. publishing is the goal of all authors at some point in time or another. you will find as many differant veiws on this as hair color. (or lack of hair as in my case :) ) dig around in the forums and you will find lots of conversations on this topic and the information while in some cases may be dated it will still be valid.

have fun again and glad you are here.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

AW is a huge place, and there's a lot of information to be found here. Take your time and browse around to get a feel of the various forums.

Feel free to stop by Jed's Newbie Pub at the top of the New Members forum. It's a friendly place where you can hang out, have a virtual drink, and strike up a conversation with other members.

And don't forget to check out the Newbie Guide. Enjoy your stay. :)

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Sorry to hear about all the rejections. Maybe your query letter isn't doing the story justice.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Hi sd!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about the forum software can be found in the
FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!

See if Katiemac has the answer here.
and check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips!

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Posting your writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area is explained here. This link covers the most common problems posts. found in SYW *Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Fun AW social links:
The Office Party
Kelly's Soft Asylum

ellisshuman

Author of short stories, novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ellisshuman.blogspot.com
Welcome sdbrown! I think you should definitely take the next step and self-publish. Good luck making that decision and going for it!

toneman

"Laborer novelist"
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Steven. No need to apologize. I wish you the best in your self-publishing endeavors.

Hack_me_not

Registered
Reaction score
Hi.. feel weird saying welcome as I am brand new too. Congratulations on getting your work OUT THERE... whether the response has been positive yet or not, at least you have let your work go. I think that is huge. I would just research successful query letters and keep with it, and I don't think self-publishing would be a bad way to go either. Good luck!