Why are some agents not part of AAR?

mbowman

Registered
Reaction score
Just a question I was wondering. I have found, in my time of wading through agencies to submit to, that there are perfectly legit agents that are not part of AAR.

I'm just curious as to why legit agents would not join AAR, considering that anyone from AAR shoots to the top of any knowledgeable author's query list.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Some agents don't think it's worth their while joining: they have more than enough clients, and are doing fine without the AAR.

Other agents might not meet the AAR's membership criteria: I've not read them so can't be sure, but it's possible, for example, that if there's a requirement for an agency to have been in business for a minimum length of time, when an established agent leaves their agency and sets up shop on their own they could have to wait until that time has elapsed before they can apply; or they might have to sell a minimum number of books, or something.

Being a member of the AAR isn't necessarily a good thing: I've known some agents I wouldn't like to work with who were members of the appropriate organisations; but it's not a bad thing. And I wouldn't decide against submitting to an otherwise reputable agent just because they weren't in the right club. Sales record, established reputation, loving my work and personality are far more important.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, professional organizations aren't really a deal-breaker. Most (not all) require little other than you "do" that profession and produce a healthy check each year. I'd rather know "how" one does their chosen profession.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'd never use an agent who wasn't a member. I've found no good reason not to be a member, and many reasons to be a member.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
My agent decided a long time ago that it just wasn't worth paying the membership fee; he'd been around long enough and had/has a solid enough record that it seemed an unnecessary expenditure.

AAR is a good place to start an agent search, but it's not the ONLY place.

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
For a long time AAR didn't allow agents to do anything similar to book packaging, so some agents didn't join cause they were also doing packaging.

And frankly some agents are cantankerous old farts who just don't give a rat's ass. They're busy selling like crazy so taking them off your query list is crazy.

I find my AAR membership very valuable but it's not the only benchmark for finding reputable agents.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I believe you also have to sell a certain number of books within a time frame. Boutique agencies, who handle just a few titles, would probably not qualify, even if they sell all of them.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
The simplest answer is probably the right one:

Full membership costs $150 per calendar year, with a one-time $150 initiation fee.

Per agent...

If you're already playing by the rules, why pay for the privilege just for people to KNOW you're playing by the rules? :Shrug: