Free E-book: 21 Query Letters That Sold

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself again because even though I've been a member of this wonderful community since 2005, I stopped being active a few years ago as life got busy, things piled up, blah blah blah... you know the spiel.

I've spent a decade as a freelance writer/journalist and traveled through four continents during that time, and now that I'm a little bit more "settled" I'm getting back into some of the communities that I loved and that meant so much to me.

Anyway, I wanted to let you guys know that I've just published a free e-book with 21 query letters of mine that sold to publications such as The New York Times, Time, Girls' Life, Ms., The Writer, Writer's Digest, and many more. You do need to sign up for the newsletter to get your free copy, but of course, if you hate it, you can always unsubscribe and send a stern letter. ;)

Here's the link: http://www.mridukhullar.com/journal/ebook-queries/

I hope you'll enjoy both and I'm looking forward to becoming part of this community once again and getting to know all the new members.

- Mridu

Rennet

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks that is really helpful. As opposed to sample letters in Writer's Market, you seem to go a bit more in detail about your articles, almost like you're already starting to write the first couple of paragraphs. I can see how that would be valuable in getting an editor to buy.

Rennet

Registered
Reaction score
One more question.. what is a typical turnaround time for you on queries to new editors? One issue I'm running in to, as I plan to write as I travel, is many of my ideas naturally come from the place I'm currently at (right now in Bangkok). But of course once I leave, probably at the end of the month, I'd be disappointed if one of my better pitches got picked up and required on-location photos or reporting. So I'm trying to create sort of a travel calendar for myself and time my pitches accordingly.

My solution right now is to hope for the best, and to increase the amount of ideas that are not location dependent.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi Rennet,

Glad you found the e-book useful.

Turnaround time-- There's no really fixed time. Some editors respond within hours, some never respond at all. For a situation like yours when time matters, I usually include a line or two at the bottom of my pitch just mentioning that I'm only here for 4 more days so would need to know fairly quickly if they're interested. I'm pretty upfront with editors and that does make a difference.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
Are you still offering the book for free? I went to your site and signed up for the newsletter but didn't see a download link for your ebook

JessH

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't see a link, either. Hoping it's a technology glitch!

Edit - came in an e-mail after registration.

Last edited:

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
Yay! Mridu's back! So good to "see" you, my dear! I've been following your blog, and I'm happy to see you doing so well.

I, like you, went on a long hiatus from AW. I missed this place too much, though, and am incredibly happy to be back.

Looking forward to having you here--I know you're going to be a great resource to the inhabitants of the Freelance boards.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Did everyone get the download link okay? If not, please let me know and I'll make sure I forward you a copy. (It should arrive in your Inbox once you've registered and confirmed your subscription. Sorry, I have no control over the two-step process; it's to avoid mailing list owners from adding people without their consent.)

Thank you so much, Melina! I'm incredibly happy to be back and am looking forward to getting to know everyone. I learned so much from these boards when I was first starting out.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
Did everyone get the download link okay? If not, please let me know and I'll make sure I forward you a copy. (It should arrive in your Inbox once you've registered and confirmed your subscription. Sorry, I have no control over the two-step process; it's to avoid mailing list owners from adding people without their consent.)

Thank you so much, Melina! I'm incredibly happy to be back and am looking forward to getting to know everyone. I learned so much from these boards when I was first starting out.

I use ejunkie.com for all of my digital download needs this also prevents spamming.

bpreslar

Working title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bradpreslar.com
Mridu-

Actually, I do have a question. First, my compliments on your queries. Second, my question. You have a journalism background and education, yes? Based on your experience with editors, I'd love your opinion.

I've been writing advertising copy for the last 5 years. You end up writing all kinds of stuff, headlines, scripts, brochures, web sites and social campaigns, just not many articles. I'm trying to branch out and do other stuff, including writing more content and the aforementioned articles. I'm unsure how the writing experience will sell, and trying to decide how much to discuss or feature it in a query. What do you think?

-Brad

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi Brad,

Glad you liked the book.

To answer your question, nope, I have no journalism background or qualifications. When I started in 2002, I was a college student studying engineering. I did eventually graduate but by the time I did, I was already making a full-time living with my freelancing, so I continued doing that. (I'd make a crappy engineer, I'm sure.)

In my opinion, journalism and education background does not matter at all. You almost never mention it in your queries and if editors like your ideas, they don't care anyway. I think your background actually gives you an idea of how to market your work and hit the right spot with editors. Should you mention it in your queries? I think there's no harm with a couple of sentences when you're pitching magazines, etc, so that editors know you have some writing background. When pitching newspapers for hardcore journalistic stories, assuming there's no conflict of interest, I'd leave it out.

Hope that helps!

DennisB

Banned
Reaction score
I, too, was unable to get it. I clicked "subscribe," and it said my name was already in the system. I sent you an email.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Dennis, I just got your e-mail. The link is in the e-mail you've responded to, so I'm a bit confused. Can you not access pdf files or did you not see the link? I'll reply to you offline as well.

*Amel*

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for providing this free e-book. I really enjoyed reading how you secured various assignments.

Mike Sanchez

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kudra! Welcome back!

I'm new here so I just had a look at the eBook, read it, and it's really a big help to me. Thank you and more success in your career! :)