Free program to create covers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
I'd been using Publisher to create my covers (as simplistic as they are) on my old comp under Windows XP. On my new comp, I can't re-install my old Office 2003, so I'm using LibreOffice, but it doesn't have anything that can read my .pub files.

I have a new story ready to upload but no way to make a cover. Is there a free program that I can get (fill in background color, insert picture, create text fields, etc.) or a free program that can read and create .pub files?

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Aye, gimp was the first thing that came to mind for me, as well. It's like free photoshop, essentially. Don't know about .pub files though.

You can find it here.

V W Pilegard

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.virginiapilegard.com
Good luck with your Gimp research!

Thanks, guys. I'll check it out.

Post what you find out, please, beg, grovel. I'm pretty confused by the info I've found. Some internet sites say I can use Gimp with POD templates and some say I can't use Gimp with POD templates. I'm most interested in Lightning Source. Hope you find a definitive answer.

Pj Little

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
The last time I looked at Gimp is was a Unix package included in a Mandrake Distro I loaded on a Win95B box. A new version was just released for Win8. It is an Open Source free licensed program you can download at CNET.

http://download.cnet.com/GIMP/3000-2192_4-10073935.html

Post what you find out, please, beg, grovel. I'm pretty confused by the info I've found. Some internet sites say I can use Gimp with POD templates and some say I can't use Gimp with POD templates. I'm most interested in Lightning Source. Hope you find a definitive answer.

the wrong idea

but it feels so right
Registered
Reaction score
I'd been using Publisher to create my covers (as simplistic as they are) on my old comp under Windows XP. On my new comp, I can't re-install my old Office 2003, so I'm using LibreOffice, but it doesn't have anything that can read my .pub files.

I have a new story ready to upload but no way to make a cover. Is there a free program that I can get (fill in background color, insert picture, create text fields, etc.) or a free program that can read and create .pub files?

When did you install LibreOffice? The release notes for the latest version (about a month ago, I think?) mention importing MS Publisher files as a new feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.