29 ways NOT to submit to an agent

Ashwood

supercalifragilisticexpia lidocious
Registered
Reaction score
Oh man! That letter from the 'children's book' author had me in stitches. Although I was cringing through most of list (who on Earth are these people?!), it's super informative! Thanks for sharing!

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Thanks for posting that article, it was hilarious! I can't imagine doing any of the odder things, but I know when people get desperate to be noticed they can do some crazy things.

Dreadful Romantic

Registered
Reaction score
I've read an anecdote from an editor who was approached while on vacation--inappropriate, of course, but still not as low as slipping something under the door of the bathroom!

thehundreds

Registered
Reaction score
Oh man! That letter from the 'children's book' author had me in stitches. Although I was cringing through most of list (who on Earth are these people?!), it's super informative! Thanks for sharing!

Seriously. My fear is that for every hard working, aspiring writer who tries to act professional, there's one of these people. Scary stuff!

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Number 6 is my favorite beef. A client who continues to revise a ms, even after it's been submitted to several editors, drives me mad.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Along with some of the commenters, I thought the under-the-bathroom-stall-door was urban legend...oh dear.

I think the right response would be to tear up the offering and flush it. If the writer was hanging around outside, you'd then say, pleasantly, "Oh, I took care of that thing for you."

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Not putting any I.D. on an attached submission is a bad thing. Happens a lot. One more step for an agent to do before passing the ms on to readers.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Read some and thought "duh, who would do that?"
Precisely my thoughts. :)

I wonder how many queries are horrible or like this, and how many are just meh. Professional, clean, correctly done, but meh. Somehow it seems like the worst fate for a writer.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you have a look at Slushkiller, on Making Light (I think there's a link in our Publishing Resources room) you'll find a breakdown of the problems usually found in the slush pile. It's very good.

Eliza azilE

Registered
Reaction score
This is amusing, but does anyone know of a place where the stupid, unprofessional things agents do are listed?

JessH

Registered
Reaction score
#19 especially, but I read the entire list. Wow . . . persistence isn't always a good thing. Who follows someone into a bathroom? The only thing that might get you is a restraining order!

WriterTrek

Boldy Writing
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, I don't think I'd have considered doing any of those things, so I guess that puts me (and all of you) ahead on on a curve that I didn't even know existed!

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Exactly. Part of me suspects that the people who need this sort of article probably won't be the ones reading it...

A lot of them look to me like it's probably not net-savvy people submitting. Things like not having your own email address, for example, or thinking gimmicks are a good idea (because no one else has ever done that ever). Some will be the result of bad advice, but I think a lot are the result of guesswork because they don't even know what they need to look for to find any advice in the first place.

GypsyKing

Mischief is an art
Registered
Reaction score
After reading that all I can say is...

Saints bless all agents. Preferably with whiskey.

xamich

Sescha Young
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seschayoung.blogspot.ca
I'd add to that list, "Don't query until you've run your QL through the gauntlet, aka QLH." Doing so would probably make most (if not all) of those 'don'ts' moot.

Heck, maybe that s/b #1. :)

Hah! Yes. I'm guilty of this with five before my brain rapped some sense into me. Now I'm waiting patiently to put my QL through QLH and wincing when I get a form rejection.