Generic message of greeting

Saija

Your source of questionable advice
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wishyouwereawriter.blogspot.com
Hi everyone!

I've browsed the forums a few times here before, but I only just signed up. Basically I've been writing stories since I was a kid and first learned how to write (of course, my stories back then were significantly less intricate and usually involved talking animals, illustrated, of course, by yours truly).

Thankfully, last year a friend pointed me in the direction of Camp Nanowrimo, and after joining the community there, I started taking my writing more seriously, found my passion again and finally (for the first time in my life) finished a novel (the first draft, that is). Now I'm faced with the incredibly daunting task of trying to edit it, which feels more or less hopeless depending on the day.

So yeah, that's my story. Oh, and I write in the fantasy genre (duh, 'cause that's the best?). And in my wildest dreams someday I would make a living or at least a part-time living through my writing. Yeah, I know, but a girl's gotta hope. I'm still in college so I'm super busy, and I enjoy alternating between procrastinating on my homework and procrastinating on my writing. I also have a blog about being an aspiring author that no one reads, but I feel like it would be a shameless thing to put a link in my greeting message, so maybe I will shamelessly add it to my signature instead, as others seem to have done.

Nice to meet everyone!

Last edited:

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

Nekko

Back to purring
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gericopitch.com
Welcome Saija!
Finland, the land of fjords - what a great setting for a fantasy story...

Learning a new language and adjusting to new life, friends, school - all bound to slow a girl down in her pursuit of writing! Congrats on the first draft.

Looking forward to seeing you around the threads. :)

MartinaMay

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like you've had an exciting life and that it would make a great story!

I try to look at editing as fun. I know, I just heard all the groans. But really, you've plotted the story and finished the first draft so you know what you want the story to do. Now you get to go back and work with your story and characters so they say what you want them to say (if they cooperate) in just the words you want. You're like a plastic surgeon who has done multiple reconstruction surgeries on someone and now you get to do the last stage where you make it all look pretty.

Weird, but this helps me.

Best of luck with your book!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Saija!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about the forum software can be found in the
FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!

See if Katiemac has the answer here.
and check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips!

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Posting your writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area is explained here. This link covers the most common problems posts. found in SYW *Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Fun AW social links:
The Office Party
Kelly's Soft Asylum

Saija

Registered
Reaction score
Website
xD PainAndLight

Obligatory, non-specific response to your post! And a noncommittal thank-you for the welcome!

Thanks to everyone else, too! :D

Oh, and I really appreciate the editing advice, Martina!! Even if now I am seeing my WIP as a bloody, chopped up plastic-surgery-gone-wrong patient and my editing tools as dirty scalpels. :/ ::shudders:: XD

And Nekko, I was actually planning to write my next novel in a Finland-like setting. Living here during the winter really makes one an expert on what it feels like to freeze one's a** off. I just hope my grammar hasn't suffered too much. In Finland, you don't blow out a candle, you turn it off. Oh, but you close the TV off. And you don't wonder what time it is, you wonder "how much is the clock?" The frightening thing is that these things stopped sounding strange to me a long time ago. xD

Last edited:

Petros

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Saija, welcome to the forum! I have a bad habit of saying "close the light", which I got from my mom, who got it from her mom, because that's how they say it in Greek.

Good luck with the editing!

John G Nelson

Author of Against Nature
Registered
Reaction score
Website
johngnelson.blogspot.com
Welcome and congrats on the first draft. Writing a novel is a journey and the first draft is a milestone! Now it's time to edit, change, improve massage.... Then comes the readers feedback and another round of edits...another journey....Then you try to shop it around (another long journey).
It's a long strange trip.....but worth it.
Good luck!!!

John

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Saija.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome from another fantasy writer. Don't feel shame for putting a link to your blog in your signature. After all, people can decide if they want to click on it.

I liked your fifteen minutes a day post. I find just sitting down and starting is often the biggest stumbling block.

Saija

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ha, thanks to everyone! And rwm4768, thanks for taking the time to check it out! I know everyone has the choice to click or not, but I'm not so good at the whole self-promotion thing (I know, I'm really going to fail as a writer). It always makes me feel like some shifty salesperson. Also, since all writing advice on my blog is amateur and should be considered questionable at best, I can't really go around saying how awesome it is. :D Especially around people here who are already published and actually know what they are talking about! xD :chair Just noticed you have a blog, too! I will check it out! It's probably a lot more helpful than mine! :D xD

Last edited: