Submitting directly to editor - so how do you get an agent?

geminirising

Registered
Reaction score
An editor at a reputable publishing company requested a manuscript from me. However, I'm a little confused about something. I don't have an agent, and I'd like to have one to further my career. I'm only familiar with the publishing model of completing a manuscript and submitting to an agent, who would then take the manuscript to a publisher/editor. So how would I go about getting an agent for my long-term career goals if I start directly with an editor?

Thanks!

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
If you're happy the editor is legit etc etc, and you'd be happy if they made an offer on your book, send the MS.

I believe that if they then come back with an offer, you query a few appropriate agents with a subject line along the lines of "Query Book title/your name OFFER RECEIVED FROM Wildly Exciting Publications". The agent will then negotiate the contract for you.

Good luck!

geminirising

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Theo81,

This is SO helpful, thank you so much! :)

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
If you're happy the editor is legit etc etc, and you'd be happy if they made an offer on your book, send the MS.

I believe that if they then come back with an offer, you query a few appropriate agents with a subject line along the lines of "Query Book title/your name OFFER RECEIVED FROM Wildly Exciting Publications". The agent will then negotiate the contract for you.

Good luck!

You can even ask the editor for recommendations of agents. Of course, you'll still need to do the research, but if your query says "I have an offer from Awesome Editor, and she suggested I contact you for representation..." there's a good bet that agent will at least negotiate the contract for you.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Send the MS to the editor.

Create or update your list of preferred agents.

If you get an offer, contact those agents and say you have an offer from X for Y, etc., and would like them to represent you not only for this project but going forward. (It will be helpful if you have other projects either completed or planned. If you have proposal outlines for the future projects, all the better. You want to show the agent you're serious about that career.)

geminirising

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Wilde - I met the editor at a writers' conference. She read my first chapter and expressed interest. However, the book is nowhere NEAR ready to submit to her. I'm just thinking ahead. :)

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Just remember, that the agent is now going to take a percentage of your book's earnings. This could be a good thing, or a bad thing, depending on the agent you choose. The idea is to get a better offer than what's on the original contract, not just to take it or leave it.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
I got an offer from an editor without an agent. I approached an agent, she offered rep, then increased the advance to the point where I was still better off after her 15% commission than I would've been without her.

That said, one editor requesting a MS is great, but doesn't necessarily mean anything. I'd send it to the editor (assuming they're legit) and query agents as normal. Not until you get an offer (or hear that it's going to acquisitions or something) would it be worth informing the agents of your progress.

It's not usually the recommended route since agents will have lots of their own contacts they'd want to send the book to, and if you get an offer from this publisher now it's harder to quickly send it off to others... and if you send it to several publishers yourself, a potential future agent won't have much playing room.

That said, I have no regrets. :)