Do you read multiple books at once?

Caramello Koala

Registered
Reaction score
All the time, I'll go three or four books at the same time, all the time. At the moment it's two novels, a short story collection, and a non-fiction book. Each night before I go to bed I'll think about which of the books I want to keep reading, which changes every night depending on my mood, and I just pick up where I left off and enter that world again. Occasionally I'll pick up a book that is so captivating that it's the only book I'll want to read, and in these cases I will enter a monogamous reading relationship with it until its inevitable end.

Aquarius

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I usually am reading two at any given time...one on my Kindle and a physical copy of something else.

I used to be way worse when I was younger. All time record was about 6 (two different series, two authors, and a stand alone. :)

tpolen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teripolen.com
I usually read about 3 books at once - 2 to review for my blog and NetGalley and 1 from my TBR pile. I like having the variety.

CynHolt

Registered
Reaction score
I'm always reading multiple books at anyone time. Right now I've got the complete works of Winston Churchill on my Kindle. Who knew he wrote historical fiction? It's not bad. I've also got A History of the Ancient Near East by Marc Van de Mieroop. It's best taken in small bits.

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
I'm usually reading at least 4-- one audiobook to listen to while I do housework, one book I'm just reading, one car audiobook I listen to with my son while we're driving to and from school and activities, and one book I'm reading out loud to him.

MrCasperTom

Registered
Reaction score
When I was younger I once read all 7 Harry Potter books in two days. So I tend not to read multiple books at once just because I'm a fairly quick reader.

I think the only times I really read more than one book at a time is when I go home; my dad leaves books I fancy reading around the house so I tend to just pick them up as a see them and leave one in the room I'm sleeping in and the other in the toilet... :p

Cosy_Mimi

Registered
Reaction score
yes, although really i'd prefer to be reading one and giving it my full attention. I like to delve fully into the world of a book and look forward to 'visiting' that world every day or when I have spare time. In reality I have about 3 or 4 on the go, with one or 2 books of short stories. (As I just love books so much I keep buying them and cant wait to start them!)

xluellax

Registered
Reaction score
Yes! I usually read multiple books at once, especially if I'm busy! I usually enjoy reading a book in a day, however, when I'm busy I don't have time do this. :( I therefore get half way into the book, and because it has taken awhile, I will be tempted to read another book I recently purchased! T^T Because of this, I end up reading multiple books at the same time! XD

laazy

Epic procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, I find it distracting. I prefer to immerse myself in one story with the same characters, no mixing up. Preferably I stick to entire series until I've read them all.

SallyB

Dancing Through Life
Registered
Reaction score
I've got different books set up throughout my life. One for the car, to bring with me in case I need it somewhere. A general novel for reading at home. An E-book for when I'm somehow caught without anything physical to read. Then there's a few others.

Matt T.

Registered
Reaction score
I have tried before, but it rarely works out for me. I always end up favoring one book over the other, and before I know it, I'm reading that one exclusively. I suspect it would be easier if the books are significantly different from each other though. For example, I'm able to flip back and forth between a regular novel and a nonfiction book about writing without much problem.

CindyGirl

Registered
Reaction score
Always have, always will. I often have one work of fiction, one of non-fiction and I always carry a little book of poetry for waiting rooms, oil changes, long lines at the pharmacy, etc. I can't handle anything to similar. As long as they're different enough, I'm good to go.

HoosierJoe

Registered
Reaction score
My brother and I both have more than one read going at any one time. Glad to see we aren't the only ones!

Iambriannak

Registered
Reaction score
Occasionally. If a book hooks me in I will absolutely dive right through it. However, if I find a book a bit slower, I may pick up another and alternate between the two. And if I'm super excited to read a book I may start it because I can't bare to wait.

beckyhammer

Registered
Reaction score
I almost NEVER read two books at once, but I recently worked my way through the Alexander Hamilton biography by Ron Chernow, and it was so insanely long I had to take a break in the middle to read something else. (It was worth the trouble, though.)

blankspace

best viewed in 3D.
Registered
Reaction score
The only time I have two books going at once is if one is non-fiction and the other is fiction. Actually Non fictions, I can have multiple ones happening at the same time. But there is only enough room for one fiction at a time.

Helix Denby

Registered
Reaction score
I do this a lot and hate it, largely because I'll rarely finish a book anymore. I'm always hopping from one to the other, reading a few hundred pages here and there. I really need to just buckle down and finish Counts of Monte Cristo already! But Ender's Game is still unfinished, and I'm only halfway through A Game of Thrones. I really am a terrible reader.

elizabeth13

Registered
Reaction score
Geez...I'm often reading six or seven books at the same time. Partially it's because I read very quickly, so I might get halfway through a YA novel in fifteen/twenty minutes, then get distracted and pick up another one. I'm also like the metaphorical kid in the candy store when it comes to starting books (I want that one! And that one! And that one too!)

Jimmy

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely not a quick reader though I like to think I make up for that a bit by reading 'heavier' books. I think I've tried reading two at the same time. I don't do it anymore so it can't have gone well.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Depends....by "books" do you include:

• magazines?
  • eBooks?
  • white papers?
  • re-reads?

If so to all of the above, I average about 20 at a time...

If it's actual books like fiction, biographies, etc. of the ilk that you buy in a bookstore or on Amazon, then oddly, my number drops to about 1 - sometimes less :(

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
I don't usually, but I've started reading mainly ebooks, with the exception of a few print books. So right now I'm reading a print book when I can, and an ebook when I'm too lazy to bring a real book with me.

spork

Registered
Reaction score
I'll read two books at once, but they have to be drastically different or I end up confusing myself. I usually end up alternating between a novel and non-fiction of some kind.