Do you read multiple books at once?

Todd Young

Registered
Reaction score
I generally read two or three at the same time unless one if particularly good. Often, though, I'll give up on one of them. I'm getting worse at abandoning novels.

Nox the Many

The prose is dark & full of errors
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to read several at once, not counting non-fiction for research. Usually at least one book that's new to me, and one or two that I'm reading for technique, stuff that I've read enough times that I'm not ruining the book for myself.

tpolen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teripolen.com
I've read up to 6 books at once - just depended on which room of the house I was in. For the past year, I've kept it to 3-4 books at a time. My TBR pile is pretty high. Have been keeping a stockpile of hard backs I want to read at the beach - don't like taking my Nook around the sand.

LKSebastian

Registered
Reaction score
I definitely have book ADD and I'm always switching between books on my Kindle. Normally, I'm reading one literary novel, one YA novel, one Non-Fiction (usually historical or an essay collection), one commercial fiction novel, and one classic. And one of them is always a hard copy I keep on my nightstand.

Currently:
1) The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (literary)
2) City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (YA)
3) The Captive Queen by Alison Weir (I started this thinking it was nonfiction, but it's actually one of her novels. Oops.)
4) Starter for Ten by David Nicholls (commercial)
5) This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald (classic, hard copy)

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Rarely. I read fast enough that it doesn't take me long to finish a given book. Granted, during school I'll generally end up reading one book for myself and then whatever I have for classwork. But other than that, no. I read ebooks almost exclusively these days and they're so accessible on so many devices now that I literally always have access to my current reading material.

TaintedBoo

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I definitely have book ADD and I'm always switching between books on my Kindle. Normally, I'm reading one literary novel, one YA novel, one Non-Fiction (usually historical or an essay collection), one commercial fiction novel, and one classic. And one of them is always a hard copy I keep on my nightstand.

Currently:
1) The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (literary)
2) City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (YA)
3) The Captive Queen by Alison Weir (I started this thinking it was nonfiction, but it's actually one of her novels. Oops.)
4) Starter for Ten by David Nicholls (commercial)
5) This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald (classic, hard copy)
That is too funny, I'm almost exactly the same way. Right now I'm reading Brave New World (Classic), The Elite (YA), Detroit: A Biography (Non-Fiction), and Plot & Structure (Educational)

I read a lot of different books at one time, but they all serve a different purpose. Can't read two YA's at the same time, or anything else similar at the same time. Each book serves it's purpose.

DragonLady

I am Queen of all I see. Heed me!
Registered
Reaction score
Um, so having 10 fiction books that I'm currently working through isn't normal? lol. That's not counting the books on my book case that I've already read at least once, and randomly pick up and read sections of whenever I feel like it. I'll put them down and pick them back up again after a month or so and dive right back in.

Manon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.manoneileen.com
I'm currently reading:

Song of Ice and Fire #4 (what a hellish struggle)
Requiem by Lauren Oliver

and a few criminological theory books for my thesis. Can't seem to focus much on the fiction lately though.

ExitTheKing

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I used to read a few at a time, but now I try to keep my focus on one. Thank goodness summer is finally here, so I have a bit more time to read.

NikiK

Registered
Reaction score
I've always had multiple books going at the same time. When I was a kid I'd bring back five or six novels from the library and start poking my nose into all of them as soon as I got home. Right now I've got five that are in various stages. They may all get started at the same time, but the one I find the most interesting gets finished first.

Forlorn-ember

Returning Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I can have up to 4 or 5 books on the go, or used to at any rate. Now I usually have one in paper and one on my samsung galaxy so that when it kills my battery I switch.

ReflectiveAcuity

having patience...right now
Registered
Reaction score
Nope. A book kind of becomes my spouse. Can't handle more than one. Not at my age, anyway.

Triplec224

Registered
Reaction score
I can't do it. There are times where I'll have a novel I'm working on along with something non-fiction, but I find that I end up reading one more than the other and end up finishing it well before the other.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no, I don't read more than one book at a time. I could. But I don't. I expect to finish one book in one sitting and then move on to the next. I'm in one world and dedicated until I read on to the end.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. Right now, I have one novel sort of on hold because it did not please me enough but which I will read later on when I am without other resources (these times always come); another I am almost finished reading which is delightful but is a re-read; a book of short essays on language I have begun; another novel I began and like but put aside temporarily while I finish the re-read.

Once the re-read is done and the new novel is underway, I will no doubt intersperse that reading with short stories from an old magazine I picked up, and poems and stories from another one.

Kind of like that.

:D

KyleDuncan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kyledduncan.blogspot.com
I always read 4 or 5 books at a time! Lol! I always have. Usually a non-fiction of some historical significance, a book on writing, a YA novel of some sort, a literary fiction book, and then something light, just for fun. I find that picking up each book is like having a conversation with a different person. So I enjoy conversing with several authors and their creations throughout the course of the day.

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Don't ask how many -- I couldn't possibly keep tabs. It's a state of flux.