• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

MARSocial (formerly New Yorker Times) / Frackle Media Group

K.E.W

Spreading my wings.
Registered
Reaction score
From their Editor-in-Chief page:

Editor-in-Chief Defined: Writers that aspire to become chief editors are expected to submit an average of one-and-a-half articles per day. In addition, a chief editor and his/her team must accumulate an average of 1 million page view each month. Though the task may appear difficult, those that aspire to this lofty goal will be taught and assisted by a Frackle member that has consistently accomplished this task. Writers, honored as Chief Editors, receive compensation above the industries standard.

That is not the job of an Editor-in-Chief. You don't audition for that role and a writer is not the same as an editor, as we all know.

They seem to be trying to trade on the well-known New York Times name, not to mention the New Yorker, and I think this will likely get them into considerable trouble.

I have been unable to find any information on Frackle Media Group, but I will keep looking.

Right now, this is raising so many red flags for me, I feel like my eyes are bleeding.

K.E.W

Spreading my wings.
Registered
Reaction score
More red flags (emphasis mine):

Please complete the information form below. Near the end of this form, you will be asked to provide a sample article for immediate entry into our publication. Note: this application will be considered incomplete if you fail to submit an original sample article.

So you audition for a position and they get to publish your submission? I don't think so.

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
That's a pretty standard scam on the internet. The 'sample' that gets published without payment. Then they tell you that you didn't make the cut for a 'job' because there aren't any real jobs. So they get a free article and you get squat, usually not even a by line for your trouble.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Frackle Media appears to be a web design firm branching out into online media - though it's hard to say, as the pertinent sections on its website contain only the WordPress "Hello world" default text.

Its writers also seem to Capitalize for Emphasis, one of my Pet peeves.

Don't waste your time.

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like they also own "The Guardian Express". Not to be confused with that other Guardian, of course.

G. Applejack

Write faster! FASTER!
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like they also own "The Guardian Express". Not to be confused with that other Guardian, of course.

What I make of this is it'll last until The New York Times finds out they exist.

:Jaw:
Well. This is going to end ugly. Somehow I don't think they're making enough from their articles to pay for legal defense.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
No new posts since Jan '15, but occasional activity in social groups.