The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: MARSocial (formerly New Yorker Times) / Frackle Media Group

practical experience, FTW

MARSocial (formerly New Yorker Times) / Frackle Media Group

They have several accounts on Tweeter claiming to a be new newspaper focused on entertainment. They say they are seeking a 1000 core writers etc.

Tweeter account: https://twitter.com/newyorkertimes
    The site: http://newyorkertimes.com

What do you make of this?

From their Editor-in-Chief page:

Editor-in-Chief Defined: Writers that aspire to become chief editors are expected to submit an average of one-and-a-half articles per day. In addition, a chief editor and his/her team must accumulate an average of 1 million page view each month. Though the task may appear difficult, those that aspire to this lofty goal will be taught and assisted by a Frackle member that has consistently accomplished this task. Writers, honored as Chief Editors, receive compensation above the industries standard.

That is not the job of an Editor-in-Chief. You don't audition for that role and a writer is not the same as an editor, as we all know.

They seem to be trying to trade on the well-known New York Times name, not to mention the New Yorker, and I think this will likely get them into considerable trouble.

I have been unable to find any information on Frackle Media Group, but I will keep looking.

Right now, this is raising so many red flags for me, I feel like my eyes are bleeding.

More red flags (emphasis mine):

Please complete the information form below. Near the end of this form, you will be asked to provide a sample article for immediate entry into our publication. Note: this application will be considered incomplete if you fail to submit an original sample article.

So you audition for a position and they get to publish your submission? I don't think so.

So many ideas, never enough time. michael_b's Avatar
    That's a pretty standard scam on the internet. The 'sample' that gets published without payment. Then they tell you that you didn't make the cut for a 'job' because there aren't any real jobs. So they get a free article and you get squat, usually not even a by line for your trouble.
    Michael Barnette
    Fiction with an Erotic Edge
    LiveJournal Twitter Facebook
    I do NaNoWriMo
    Worth More than Words available now from Dreamspinner Press
    In the Heart of Love-Coming Soon
    SOLD: Nikki's Dragon-short story anthology to Fireborn Publishing

My thoughts exactly. They do have a hard-news division as well, which seems to be more developed. You are paid by percentage of ad revenue. I found one article that included a copyrighted image from a different news story from last year.

http://guardianlv.com/2013/03/man-sw...d-by-sinkhole/

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/nation...use-in-florida

Just the facts, please
    Frackle Media appears to be a web design firm branching out into online media - though it's hard to say, as the pertinent sections on its website contain only the WordPress "Hello world" default text.

Its writers also seem to Capitalize for Emphasis, one of my Pet peeves.

Don't waste your time.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    What I make of this is it'll last until The New York Times finds out they exist.

Want to help Fate along a little? I despise unethical SEO companies.

M/M/M contemporary erotic romance novella out now from NineStar Press!

Blog: Blue Night(blog back up, mwhahaha!)
    My art and jewelry online at SaatchiArt.
    My collected Filigree's Rule posts for would-be writers (learn from my mistakes!)

On a small world west of wonder LindaJeanne's Avatar
    Looks like they also own "The Guardian Express". Not to be confused with that other Guardian, of course.
    "A story told, that can't be real / yet somehow must reflect the truth we feel..." -- Black Sabbath / Ronnie James Dio

Write faster! FASTER! G. Applejack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaJeanne View Post
    Looks like they also own "The Guardian Express". Not to be confused with that other Guardian, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    What I make of this is it'll last until The New York Times finds out they exist.

Well. This is going to end ugly. Somehow I don't think they're making enough from their articles to pay for legal defense.
    Co-mod at Writing MM Romance, a critique group.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    NYT forced to change name in Aug '13, and is now MARSocial: http://marsocial.com/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    No new posts since Jan '15, but occasional activity in social groups.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: