• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ink Smith Publishing

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Ink Smith Publishing.

I discovered them because one of their principals has recently joined AW and has given some advice which I considered questionable: I find it disconcerting when a publisher does not understand the differences between copyright and the rights inherent in an intellectual property; and when a publisher states that a story published online is now in the public domain.

So I took a look at Ink Smith's website.

Its front page is aimed at writers, not at readers.

I've found numerous grammar issues and punctuation errors on its website, and a general clunkiness to the writing there.

It's run by two people who don't seem to have any experience in publishing, one who is a writer-turned-publisher, and one who "enjoys the realm of Science Fiction".

I am not impressed.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
She brings to Ink Smith a fun work place where writers want to be apart of the family.
http://ink-smith.com/about-us

Very professional. And I can't help noticing that every one of Ink Smith's posts is riddled with spelling and grammatical errors, not something I'd expect from someone with "a great deal of experience in the field of publishing".

Last edited:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
The "legal advice" they were giving was absolute crap so I've corrected them on the thread. If they can't get the basics right, it makes me wonder what rights they think they're taking from writers that they publish.

MM

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I too looked at the site, motivated by the poster's apparent issues with grammar, evident in AW posts. The pages are just rife with errors, which really doesn't inspire confidence in a publishing co.

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
From their FAQ:
Is there anything required of the author?

The only thing we require is various marketing outlets, such as blogs, Facebook pages,newspaper ads and more.

1. They don't know the difference between marketing and publicity.
2. Newspaper ads? Seriously?
3. I accidentally my various marketing outlets.

Another highlight from the FAQ, presented without comment:
Where will my book be available at?

Your book will be distributed to Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other various retailers including Kindle and Nook.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
From one of Ink Smith's posts:

I hope to give an insider opinion and help everybody here to the best of my ability.

Clueless, absolutely clueless.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Not to mention the very name of the publisher is misspelled in the scrolling banner.

Wisteria Vine

Registered
Reaction score
Their "expertise" is a concern.

From their ABOUT US:

About Us- The Deeper Side

Ashley Howie- Author of several books and publications, she has been writing for over a decade. She brings to the company the light hearted fun spirit Ink Smith embodies. Don’t expect monotone responses, or short one word answers from her. She has a passion for writing and a love for the arts. She brings to Ink Smith a fun work place where writers want to be apart of the family. Don’t be fooled by her exclamation points at the end of her sentences, Ashley is strict on her idea of well written imagery and bringing the characters to life. Its not just about the words on the page, it’s about transporting the reader off into distant lands and falling in love with characters. Author, editor and graphic designer, Ashley enjoys fantasy fiction, and zombie stories.

Sounds like another well-meaning but damaging start up. Some of the advice given in other threads is horrifying.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
If I see one more publisher touting itself as being a "family to authors," I'm going to I'm going to kick something hard. I already have a family, thankyouverymuch; what's needed for most writers is a house--with decent contract terms--able to get said writers' books into the hands of the reading public at a fair price, and in a timely manner.

Having its owner possess more than a passing acquaintance with the King's English would be a major bonus.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Author, editor and graphic designer, Ashley enjoys fantasy fiction, and zombie stories.

EDITOR? :Jaw:

It looks as though somebody
a)misjudged their audience, and
b)is probably regretting their decision to post on AbsoluteWrite...

Last edited:

Gravity

Registered
Reaction score
She sounds very young. What makes this especially tragic is next week she may very well decide her next obsession will be collecting and selling Etruscan pottery, or old Beatles albums, or Hello Kitty renderings done in acrylic on black velvet.

That decision has no bearing on her own works, of course, but she'll be leaving other writers' dreams, and first rights to their stories, gone like smoke.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Publishing?

Is. A. BUSINESS.

First and foremost.

Like any business, you might make a few friends along the way, but publishing IS A FUGGING BUSINESS and must be approached and treated as such. Any other way and you're gonna get screwed but good.
Not to mention the very name of the publisher is misspelled in the scrolling banner.
For the love of all that is good and holy...:Jaw:

Ink-Smith

Ink Smith Publishing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ink-smith.com
EDITOR? :Jaw:

It looks as though somebody
a)misjudged their audience, and
b)is probably regretting their decision to post on AbsoluteWrite...

Not in the slightest regretting it. We will consider your complaints and use them to improve.

Thank you all very much for the criticism.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Not in the slightest regretting it. We will consider your complaints and use them to improve.

Thank you all very much for the criticism.

:welcome: Ink Smith.

I'm glad you're open to improvement. But as others have already said, publishing is a business and it is not something you learn-as-you-go. Writers will be entrusting their intellectual property with you.

I suggest you read the thread Why Publishers Fail and look through the Publishers Index, especially the grayed out links which are publishers that no longer active.

I also strongly suggest that you suspend your "business" for now until you've learned more about publishing. It will hurt everyone, writers and yourself, if you take up an endeavor you are not ready for.

Gravity

Registered
Reaction score
^^^ THIS +1

The landscape is littered with the skeletons of start-ups run by newbies who think how cool it would be, squee!!, to run a publishing house. But those aren't the only bones: mixed in are those of destroyed writers and their dreams.

When the wretched thing finally goes toes up, it's a pity and a cautionary tale for all concerned.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
The misunderstanding of rights/trademarks, etc. is enough reason not to continue. I'd like to see a contract, honestly. This is the sort of thing that's important enough to make sure it's understood. Without that understanding, the potential for legal problems as well is worrisome, IMO.

As others said, publisher isn't an entry-level position. You start by working in the industry and learning from the people who do know what they're doing.

Annie107

Registered
Reaction score
I'm very glad I found this website and particularly this thread. I came across this publishing co. in a Facebook group. I wrote a children's book and I was looking for a publisher. I think I will keep searching.

AJ Flowers

Registered
Reaction score
Native Ink Press

http://nativeinkpress.com/about-us/

I found this publisher through DuoTrope and was wondering if anyone has used or heard of them? They seem to be an imprint of "Ink Smith Publishing" which I haven't heard of either.

Sorry if this is mentioned elsewhere, I searched but didn't find anything.

authorMAF

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authormaf.com
Has anyone heard anything new? Is there anyone who has published with them who would be willing to share their experiences so far? :)