The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ink Smith Publishing

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar

Ink Smith Publishing

Ink Smith Publishing.

I discovered them because one of their principals has recently joined AW and has given some advice which I considered questionable: I find it disconcerting when a publisher does not understand the differences between copyright and the rights inherent in an intellectual property; and when a publisher states that a story published online is now in the public domain.

So I took a look at Ink Smith's website.

Its front page is aimed at writers, not at readers.

I've found numerous grammar issues and punctuation errors on its website, and a general clunkiness to the writing there.

It's run by two people who don't seem to have any experience in publishing, one who is a writer-turned-publisher, and one who "enjoys the realm of Science Fiction".

I am not impressed.

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    She brings to Ink Smith a fun work place where writers want to be apart of the family.
    http://ink-smith.com/about-us
    Very professional. And I can't help noticing that every one of Ink Smith's posts is riddled with spelling and grammatical errors, not something I'd expect from someone with "a great deal of experience in the field of publishing".
    Last edited by aliceshortcake; 02-28-2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Grammatical error
    "There is only one thing worse than being obliged to sit cross-legged on the grass, and that is being obliged to sit cross-legged on the grass near an ant colony"
    Oscar Wilde (citation needed)

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    The "legal advice" they were giving was absolute crap so I've corrected them on the thread. If they can't get the basics right, it makes me wonder what rights they think they're taking from writers that they publish.

MM

practical experience, FTW cornflake's Avatar
    I too looked at the site, motivated by the poster's apparent issues with grammar, evident in AW posts. The pages are just rife with errors, which really doesn't inspire confidence in a publishing co.

On a small world west of wonder LindaJeanne's Avatar
    From their FAQ:
    Is there anything required of the author?

The only thing we require is various marketing outlets, such as blogs, Facebook pages,newspaper ads and more.
    1. They don't know the difference between marketing and publicity.
    2. Newspaper ads? Seriously?
    3. I accidentally my various marketing outlets.

Another highlight from the FAQ, presented without comment:
    Where will my book be available at?

Your book will be distributed to Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other various retailers including Kindle and Nook.
    "A story told, that can't be real / yet somehow must reflect the truth we feel..." -- Black Sabbath / Ronnie James Dio

From one of Ink Smith's posts:

I hope to give an insider opinion and help everybody here to the best of my ability.
    Clueless, absolutely clueless.
    "There is only one thing worse than being obliged to sit cross-legged on the grass, and that is being obliged to sit cross-legged on the grass near an ant colony"

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue Snowstorm's Avatar
    Lost in the Wyoming mountains. Don't try to rescue me.
    Not to mention the very name of the publisher is misspelled in the scrolling banner.

Historical mystery Blood Atonement and contemporary mystery Clear and Convincing Evidence
    On submission: screenplay Blood Atonement. WIP: h
    istorical mystery Tarnished Gold
    Blog Twitter Facebook

practical experience, FTW Wisteria Vine's Avatar
    Their "expertise" is a concern.

From their ABOUT US:

About Us- The Deeper Side

Ashley Howie- Author of several books and publications, she has been writing for over a decade. She brings to the company the light hearted fun spirit Ink Smith embodies. Donít expect monotone responses, or short one word answers from her. She has a passion for writing and a love for the arts. She brings to Ink Smith a fun work place where writers want to be apart of the family. Donít be fooled by her exclamation points at the end of her sentences, Ashley is strict on her idea of well written imagery and bringing the characters to life. Its not just about the words on the page, itís about transporting the reader off into distant lands and falling in love with characters. Author, editor and graphic designer, Ashley enjoys fantasy fiction, and zombie stories.

Sounds like another well-meaning but damaging start up. Some of the advice given in other threads is horrifying.

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go Gravity's Avatar
    Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
    If I see one more publisher touting itself as being a "family to authors," I'm going to I'm going to kick something hard. I already have a family, thankyouverymuch; what's needed for most writers is a house--with decent contract terms--able to get said writers' books into the hands of the reading public at a fair price, and in a timely manner.

Having its owner possess more than a passing acquaintance with the King's English would be a major bonus.
    John Robinson (formerly Cameron Bane ... RIP)

Author, editor and graphic designer, Ashley enjoys fantasy fiction, and zombie stories.
    EDITOR?

It looks as though somebody
    a)misjudged their audience, and
    b)is probably regretting their decision to post on AbsoluteWrite...
    Last edited by aliceshortcake; 02-28-2013 at 10:09 PM.

She sounds very young. What makes this especially tragic is next week she may very well decide her next obsession will be collecting and selling Etruscan pottery, or old Beatles albums, or Hello Kitty renderings done in acrylic on black velvet.

That decision has no bearing on her own works, of course, but she'll be leaving other writers' dreams, and first rights to their stories, gone like smoke.

Holding out for a Superhero... Sheryl Nantus's Avatar
    Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
    Considering the first two books published seem to have been by the two people running this "publisher"...

Yeah. I'll pass.

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    Publishing?

Is. A. BUSINESS.

First and foremost.

Like any business, you might make a few friends along the way, but publishing IS A FUGGING BUSINESS and must be approached and treated as such. Any other way and you're gonna get screwed but good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowstorm View Post
    Not to mention the very name of the publisher is misspelled in the scrolling banner.
    For the love of all that is good and holy...
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

Quote Originally Posted by aliceshortcake View Post
    EDITOR?

It looks as though somebody
    a)misjudged their audience, and
    b)is probably regretting their decision to post on AbsoluteWrite...
    Not in the slightest regretting it. We will consider your complaints and use them to improve.

Thank you all very much for the criticism.
    Check out Ink Smith's Website, Facebook and Twitter for all the latest books, news and updates.

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Ink-Smith View Post
    Not in the slightest regretting it. We will consider your complaints and use them to improve.

Thank you all very much for the criticism.
    Ink Smith.

I'm glad you're open to improvement. But as others have already said, publishing is a business and it is not something you learn-as-you-go. Writers will be entrusting their intellectual property with you.

I suggest you read the thread Why Publishers Fail and look through the Publishers Index, especially the grayed out links which are publishers that no longer active.

I also strongly suggest that you suspend your "business" for now until you've learned more about publishing. It will hurt everyone, writers and yourself, if you take up an endeavor you are not ready for.

^^^ THIS +1

The landscape is littered with the skeletons of start-ups run by newbies who think how cool it would be, squee!!, to run a publishing house. But those aren't the only bones: mixed in are those of destroyed writers and their dreams.

When the wretched thing finally goes toes up, it's a pity and a cautionary tale for all concerned.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. kaitie's Avatar
    The misunderstanding of rights/trademarks, etc. is enough reason not to continue. I'd like to see a contract, honestly. This is the sort of thing that's important enough to make sure it's understood. Without that understanding, the potential for legal problems as well is worrisome, IMO.

As others said, publisher isn't an entry-level position. You start by working in the industry and learning from the people who do know what they're doing.

Preditors & Editors Requiescat In Pace DaveKuzminski's Avatar
    P&E has already asked to see the contract they offer.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Has added an imprint for non-fiction and children's books, Native Ink Press: http://nativeinkpress.com/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I'm very glad I found this website and particularly this thread. I came across this publishing co. in a Facebook group. I wrote a children's book and I was looking for a publisher. I think I will keep searching.

Researching History's Mysteries HistorySleuth's Avatar
    Welcome Annie! You will find a lot of useful information at AW so hope to see you around here.
    Blog Twitter @HistorySleuth1
    From the History Press

A History of Native American Land Rights in Upstate New York
    On Amazon.

Native Ink Press

http://nativeinkpress.com/about-us/

I found this publisher through DuoTrope and was wondering if anyone has used or heard of them? They seem to be an imprint of "Ink Smith Publishing" which I haven't heard of either.

Sorry if this is mentioned elsewhere, I searched but didn't find anything.

Green as the meadow grass nelehjr's Avatar
    Thanks. Very informative.

practical experience, FTW stormowl7's Avatar
    Has anyone heard anything new? Is there anyone who has published with them who would be willing to share their experiences so far?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast