I'm horribly confused now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
Over the past 48 hrs, I have gotten this repeated message when using Google Chrome to access various websites:

"Error 103 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_ABORTED) - Unknown Error"

It seems to occur when trying to access an HTTP/HTTPS based website. This includes Gmail, Twitter, you name it...even a Google search using Chrome's omnibox yield the error. ASU's website will come in from time to time, but its formatting is really off.

I have tried the following:

1) Restarting Chrome
2) Clearing all cookies/browsing info
3) Re-installing Chrome
4) Running Chrome in compatibility mode.
5) Running Chrome in a previous version
6) Doing a system restore.
7) Checking anti-virus software (this has never caused a problem before, so I have trouble seeing why that would cause an issue now).
8) Pretty much all the oft-recommended remedies.

Does anyone else have this problem, and how do you fix it? I don't think I'm the only one. I've tried notifying Google about it, but when I submit the support ticket...yep, you've guessed it...I get the error message. The outage ranges anywhere from 10 seconds to 2 hrs. I'm ready to uninstall Chrome permanently, quite honestly. I've done security scans; I don't have any viruses, and I am at a loss for any reason for the outage.

I'm quite confused. :(

ETA - My internet connection is quite stable. :)

Last edited:

zarada

not afraid to leap
Registered
Reaction score
That had crashed when I ran it last. :roll:

Good idea, though, if technology was actually helping me today... ;)

ok...... hm. sounds like you may have a virus then. what av are you using? you should download another one and run a deep scan. no one av finds 'everything', so you're better off running 2 of them alternating them. i recommend www.superantispyware.com for a second av -- they have a free version too.

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
ok...... hm. sounds like you may have a virus then. what av are you using? you should download another one and run a deep scan. no one av finds 'everything', so you're better off running 2 of them alternating them. i recommend www.superantispyware.com for a second av -- they have a free version too.

I have Kaspersky. Believe me, the presence of a virus was the first thing I checked, even before the Internet connection. All fine.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
No idea, but when I searched on the error string, this and several of more or less the same answer came up.

Dunno if your network card (or chip on the mainboard as the case may be) could be failing and contribute. Same for network cable.

What happens if you rearrange where you're all plugged in? (assuming it's not wireless) might be one bad port on the router.

[I'm not a network person, but this is the sort of thing I'd look at when tracking down possibly-bad hardware.]

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
No idea, but when I searched on the error string, this and several of more or less the same answer came up.

Dunno if your network card (or chip on the mainboard as the case may be) could be failing and contribute. Same for network cable.

What happens if you rearrange where you're all plugged in? (assuming it's not wireless) might be one bad port on the router.

[I'm not a network person, but this is the sort of thing I'd look at when tracking down possibly-bad hardware.]

It'll definitely be something I'll look into if the problem persists.

It's a wireless router. All our computers can move around the house and still stay on our network, maintaining our internet connection.

Cox Communication did warn us that routers in AZ tend to go kaput really quickly. It's their router that we're using, so I'll have to go yell at 'em again to get them to replace it if need be. ;)

patskywriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.durhamskywriter.com
I lost my internet connection a couple of months ago and couldn't figure out what was going on. I thought the problem was the wireless router, and after going back and forth with Verizon/Frontier, I finally convinced them to replace it. They sent a guy out to replace the router and they didn't charge me anything. The installation guy told me that the customer-service folks never believe that their routers can go bad, but that they do all the time.

Charles Farley

Bango Skank
Registered
Reaction score
updates . . . . according to their site . . .

the new version had some problems with the google servers I believe . . . they issued a fix . ..

Status
Not open for further replies.