• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] The Authors' Clearinghouse

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about The Authors' Clearinghouse (www.literaryclearinghouse.com/) and their president Jane Johnson. They claim to have been in business as literary agents for 14 years. No mention of their clients or recent sales on the site.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Well...it strikes me as way odd that an agency stressing author promotion doesn't even list authors' names in the book store. The few books I tracked are old and/or with very small presses (likely not needing an agent to sell). Unless you can get them to divulge some whizbang/recent sales, I'd pass. :Shrug:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
waylander said:
yeah - this is where I found them. There's a whole load of agents there I've never heard of mixed in with some very reputable players.
That's cuz all one needs to sign up there is an email address. WN is the worst place to look for an agent, IMHO. Well, maybe tied with Google ads. ;)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
There's a couple of UK agents listed there as handling fantasy and I've never heard of these people - trust me I would know if they were players.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I agree with Cao. Writers Net (like most online agent resources) is not a good place to look. Successful agents are listed there, but because it's a database where anyone can enter info, there's a huge number of marginal, amateur, and questionable agents as well.

- Victoria

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
Scam - they charge big money to edit your book. They asked for my full, and I emailed them asking if they charged fees and they said you need to pay to get your work edited. Stay far away.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Let's just say that, when an agency has a Payment for Services page, odds are their focus isn't selling your book to publishers.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site's gone. No social media activity. Anyone have recent contact?