Happy July 4th!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: can i reference my favorite singer in my gn

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin leolo's Avatar

can i reference my favorite singer in my gn

Without being sued or anything..
    I really admire a french singer and I want use her looks for a drawn character or if not maybe a poster of her in the main characters room.
    Is this OK too do
    Kojiro don't speak...

Directly referencing singers (or any celebrities) dates comics hard - there have also been instances where likenesses of celebrities have gotten titles into trouble (Johnny and Edgar Winter are an obvious example of this problem). Suck down the urge to have a character based on the singer, and stick a poster into the background of a scene. You might want to tweak the image if it is a famous poster, as even those are covered by copyright (there are ways to get around these issues, especially if you are doing a parody, but it is often better for storytelling purposes to create new material rather than referencing existing media).
    The blog, which may not be updated regularly enough. -- I'm linking to other AW blogs here. -- There's some nonsense here when I can be bothered.
    Don't hold your breath...

Quote Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
    Dude, I am not that flexible.
    Quote Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
    The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin leolo's Avatar
    thanks for replying.. I'll have to be very subtle then.
    Kojiro don't speak...