• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Contests] NYC Midnight

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about this group? I was asked to help judge a short story contest by them, ( they pay!) They seem legit but I've never heard of them. Anyone know them? Not sure how they got my name.

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
That would be them. They seem legit to me, but I wanted to be sure before I agreed to do this.

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomalanbrosz.wordpress.com
Judging by what I read on their website, it seems registration might be closed.

Entry fees (depending on how soon you enter) are $39 to $49, which is a bit steep in my opinion, but I'm no expert.

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastlittlebird.blogspot.com
I've been getting their newsletter for a while, because they used to have a micro-fiction story competition that was free (not sure if they still have it... I entered in 2011) but I can't afford the short story comp at the moment. I can't remember much about the micro-fic process, but I don't recall any red flags at least.

I think it's that expensive because you aren't just entering one story, it's more like a short story idol competition where you write to a prompt several times (depending on how far you get in the competition). And they supposedly offer feedback on every story entered.
I haven't entered, so I can't say anything more, but as far as I know it's legit. I probably would give it a go, because it seems like fun, if I had $40 to spare right now :)

ETA congratz on being asked to judge btw!

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
I have a friend that was pressuring me to join this year (and yes this yer is closed already it started at Midnight the 22/23) but I declined. It costs the same as some of my other memberships that are due right around the same time. I seriously considered it though.

She seemed to like it and last year advanced to the second round. I've just been hesitant because it is a lot of money, to me, with no guarantee of participating all 3 rounds.

I am a little surprised they are looking for judges after they started. According to my friend, the judges were listed on the website along with their credentials

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I just got the email yesterday, I'm surprised they looking after the contest has closed as well. They seem like a very legit group but i think I might pass on the opportunity. I don't have a huge surplus of time right now and while I'm flattered they think I would be a good judge, I don't think I would be. Thanks all for the replies. It is very much appreciated.