AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Contests] NYC Midnight

part of the human equation sheadakota's Avatar

[Contests] NYC Midnight

Anyone know anything about this group? I was asked to help judge a short story contest by them, ( they pay!) They seem legit but I've never heard of them. Anyone know them? Not sure how they got my name.
    Re-Release of the COYOTE MOON SERIES!
    Fallen available print and ebook
    Through the Glass Available July 2014
    The Coyote's Song- Available August 2014
    Socrate's Child-COMING Summer 2015!
    Broken - March 13th 2015!

My Website

Fallen is a taut, hard driving, edge of your seat thiller.
    Michael Wiley, author of The Last Striptease

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

That would be them. They seem legit to me, but I wanted to be sure before I agreed to do this.

My Website

Got the hang of it, here tbrosz's Avatar
    Judging by what I read on their website, it seems registration might be closed.

Entry fees (depending on how soon you enter) are $39 to $49, which is a bit steep in my opinion, but I'm no expert.

I've been getting their newsletter for a while, because they used to have a micro-fiction story competition that was free (not sure if they still have it... I entered in 2011) but I can't afford the short story comp at the moment. I can't remember much about the micro-fic process, but I don't recall any red flags at least.

I think it's that expensive because you aren't just entering one story, it's more like a short story idol competition where you write to a prompt several times (depending on how far you get in the competition). And they supposedly offer feedback on every story entered.
    I haven't entered, so I can't say anything more, but as far as I know it's legit. I probably would give it a go, because it seems like fun, if I had $40 to spare right now

ETA congratz on being asked to judge btw!
    Tumblr
    My Website

Tempting the Unicorn

If the idea is not original, at least let it be unpredictable. If it is not unpredictable, let it be beautiful. If it is not beautiful, let it be meaningful. If it is not meaningful, let it go.

I have a friend that was pressuring me to join this year (and yes this yer is closed already it started at Midnight the 22/23) but I declined. It costs the same as some of my other memberships that are due right around the same time. I seriously considered it though.

She seemed to like it and last year advanced to the second round. I've just been hesitant because it is a lot of money, to me, with no guarantee of participating all 3 rounds.

I am a little surprised they are looking for judges after they started. According to my friend, the judges were listed on the website along with their credentials
    In The Shadow Of The Cross-Coming Soon from The Script Co.

Based On The...-Black Box Theatre Publishing

Allie In Wonderland and The Absolutely True Story of Tom Sawyer as Told by Becky Thatcher-Heartland Play Publishers

Blogging AT

Yeah I just got the email yesterday, I'm surprised they looking after the contest has closed as well. They seem like a very legit group but i think I might pass on the opportunity. I don't have a huge surplus of time right now and while I'm flattered they think I would be a good judge, I don't think I would be. Thanks all for the replies. It is very much appreciated.

My Website