Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: My Thoughts After One Whole Week of Self-Publishing

My Thoughts After One Whole Week of Self-Publishing

Hi gang,

Thought I might share my experiences in this arena, though they're non-traditional. I'm published in the romance genre through 2 different small presses (I write contemporary/sensual, which isn't one of the big-selling romance subgenres, but anyway...). My next novel comes out in May, and late last year I started thinking about getting the rights back to my earliest novel which has never sold well (variety of reasons) and re-release it myself as part of KDP on Amazon.

My primary reason for doing this was early 2013 promotion and to try and drive sales for my May release. I got my rights back in January, commissioned a new cover, had it formatted for the Kindle, and released it on Feb.12 of this year. Cost to me for that was approximately $200 ($100 for a new cover and $90 for the formatting - I had a .mobi file and a PDF done as well). I should note that I added 3 scenes to the story (it's approx. 60K words) and a minor character who's going to be the hero in my May release (again, trying to drum up interest in that book). Otherwise, everything remained the same. This means that the editing had already been done (I know this is a concern and a cost for self-pubbers).

I've priced it at $.99 through February to draw sales and then will bump it up (probably to $2.99) in March. I have 2 different blog tours planned for March and April and have booked cover ads on romance reader websites. I plan on using the Amazon 5 free day promotion at the beginning of May, the week before my new release comes out.

I blogged more here about sales so far and the promo efforts that seem to be connected to them. Overall, for me it hasn't been a painful process, but I think that's because I was already familiar with publishing. I admire everyone who's doing it with their first baby (or subsequent babies but I would caution, from reading a lot of these threads, that there's a lot to take into consideration, some of which I talked about in my blog.

I'm happy to chat more about my experiences as the weeks go on, and once my May book comes out. Any questions, fire away

Lost in the Land of Giants Tienci's Avatar
    Fascinating! Looks like a solid plan and I wish you many successes!

I'll follow along and watch how things are working out for you.
    "Will you won't you will you won't you, will you join the dance?"

It's all about grace
    I too, will be following your SP journey and wish you all the best!
    Chew the cherries & spit the pits!

Heart Song on Amazon

Writing! Writing! Writing! Requiescat In Pace
    Looking forward to following your journey, AllieB!
    [URL="http://www.amazon.com/author/merrihiatt"][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/URL]
    I'm a clickable link to Amazon

[URL="http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/merrihiatt"]Smashwords[/URL] [URL="http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/merri-hiatt?store=allproducts&keyword=merri+hiatt"]B&N[/URL] [URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/merri-hiatt/id458595119?mt=11"]iTunes[/URL] [URL="http://www.allromanceebooks.com/storeSearch.html?searchBy=author&qString=Merri+Hiatt"]AllRomance[/URL] [URL="http://merrihiatt.com/"]Website[/URL]

practical experience, FTW WriterBN's Avatar
    Congrats! Self-publishing itself is easy, if you take some time to research the process. Marketing and selling books--now, that's another beast altogether

Best of luck with it, Allie. You sound like you have a solid game plan.

Engineer Sonneteer Norman D Gutter's Avatar
    Good luck, AllieB. I hope you have many sales.

NDG
    I blog, therefore I am.

My author page at Amazon's Kindle Store.

Thanks, all Yes, WriterBN, marketing is a challenge all its own!

practical experience, FTW Celeste Carrara's Avatar
    I'll be following your journey! I also took a look at your blog and enjoyed reading it. I wish you the best of luck!

Follow your heart; take your brain SelmaW's Avatar
    I also enjoyed checking out your blog, Allie! Best luck with the journey

Puttin' daydreams to paper OliverCrown's Avatar
    Delta City, where nothing's normal but the music
    Good luck AllieB! We're all pulling for you!
    Dreamer. Author. Tweeter. Blogger.

Bleeding of the Heart, available on Amazon and CreateSpace.

practical experience, FTW Robert Gonko's Avatar
    I've just self-published my first book and let me tell you, it's been an eye opening experience. Writing is easy for me compared to marketing. Good luck to you!
    Robert Gonko
    Author of "The Servant"
    EBook available at Smashwords, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Apple iBooks.
    Print edition available from CreateSpace
    WIP: "Sniper"

Check out my blog: http://robertgonko.wordpress.com

practical experience, FTW LongWave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllieB View Post
    Hi gang,

Thought I might share my experiences in this arena, though they're non-traditional. I'm published in the romance genre through 2 different small presses (I write contemporary/sensual, which isn't one of the big-selling romance subgenres, but anyway...). My next novel comes out in May, and late last year I started thinking about getting the rights back to my earliest novel which has never sold well (variety of reasons) and re-release it myself as part of KDP on Amazon.

My primary reason for doing this was early 2013 promotion and to try and drive sales for my May release. I got my rights back in January, commissioned a new cover, had it formatted for the Kindle, and released it on Feb.12 of this year. Cost to me for that was approximately $200 ($100 for a new cover and $90 for the formatting - I had a .mobi file and a PDF done as well). I should note that I added 3 scenes to the story (it's approx. 60K words) and a minor character who's going to be the hero in my May release (again, trying to drum up interest in that book). Otherwise, everything remained the same. This means that the editing had already been done (I know this is a concern and a cost for self-pubbers).

I've priced it at $.99 through February to draw sales and then will bump it up (probably to $2.99) in March. I have 2 different blog tours planned for March and April and have booked cover ads on romance reader websites. I plan on using the Amazon 5 free day promotion at the beginning of May, the week before my new release comes out.

I blogged more here about sales so far and the promo efforts that seem to be connected to them. Overall, for me it hasn't been a painful process, but I think that's because I was already familiar with publishing. I admire everyone who's doing it with their first baby (or subsequent babies but I would caution, from reading a lot of these threads, that there's a lot to take into consideration, some of which I talked about in my blog.

I'm happy to chat more about my experiences as the weeks go on, and once my May book comes out. Any questions, fire away
    How did your sales look after the price change?

Good luck, Allie, and nice blog btw. I've indied a back-list title just to see what would happen, and it has been an experience, I can tell you. Not bad, not great, but good reception.

tri

Maybe I should see someone . . . Tigerlilly79's Avatar
    Good luck. I'll be self-pubbing my first once my covers done. Keep us posted.
    TWITTER

FACEBOOK

You are responsible for the talent you have been entrusted with. Go work with it.