Looking for some book recommendations

Patrick.S

Registered
Reaction score
I read SFF quit a bit as a youngster but moved away from it for quite a while. A few years ago I read A Song of Ice and Fire and it rekindled my interest in the genre. As my current WIP is in that bent, I was hoping for some recommendations for books with a similar theme. No elves or dwarves but believable worlds that may carry a magical element. Any help would be appreciated.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Patrick. I'm not mainly a fantasy reader, but our kids bullied me into A Song of Ice and Fire and I really enjoyed it. (It helped a lot that they were at college and needing a refresher course on Who's That Guy gave me an excuse to phone.)

Anyway, you sound like a good candidate for Robin Hobb's many trilogies, in a medieval-inspired fantasy world with magic and beings with powers, but no elves or fairies or dwarves, no mysticism, and less politics than Martin's works. If I'm not mistaken, the first series is the Assassin one, starting with "Assassin's Apprentice." It's available in paperback.

Maryn, who's read the first two series and has the next volume

Patrick.S

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much Maryn. I'll look into them.

P.S. I was also my wife's character syllabus when she read them a few months ago.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Have you read any Sean Russell? I know his initial series are older (early 90s) but I really enjoyed The Initiate Brother & Gatherer of Clouds, which are a pair, and World Without End & Sea Without a Shore.

Patrick.S

Registered
Reaction score
I have actually read the first four in the Wizard's First Rule saga. The first couple were good but I lost interest as the series went on. For some reason I can't describe I have tried to pick up Robert Jordan half a dozen times and just couldn't handle something about it. Not sure if it was voice or pacing but it rubbed me the wrong way. Thanks for the suggestions though.
I'll look into Sean Russell Sara. Thanks.

measure_in_love

escaping the evil queen's curse
Registered
Reaction score
hey Patrick! I'm big into reading fantasy lately, I have a ton of recs.

1. Mortal Instruments Series (City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels, and City of Lost Souls). I'm up to City of Glass, it's a great series.
2. Ender's Game Series (it's a FANTASTIC scifi. Really made me look at the genre in a different light. I never really read much scifi.) there's also a companion series called Ender's Shadow.
3. Another Orson Scott Card series I LOVE is Pathfinder, and the second one came out recently called Ruins.

This should get you started. I also agree with the other recs. The Game of Throwns I hear is great, for me it's too intense. Wizards First Rule is also a great rec. Hope this helps :)

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Seconding Brandon Sanderson. His Mistborn trilogy (first book: Mistborn) is a very different fantasy world. I'm also enjoying The Way of Kings (so far - only 300 pages in, and it's a brick of a book.) I also enjoyed his YA title Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians; not the deepest plot, but it's a kick and a half to read. (The second in the series is currently in my to-be-read pile.)

Robin Hobb's not a bad choice, either. My favorite is her Liveship Traders trilogy (first book: Ship of Magic), which is in the Farseer universe (her overall universe for many of her series, starting with Assassin's Apprentice), but can be read as a standalone. Some of her other stuff starts to drag, though... I was disappointed in her latest offering, the Rain Wilds Chronicles.

Frank Herbert's Dune is a sci-fi classic, but I personally read it as more of an epic fantasy. It has most of the same elements as epic fantasy, only in an interstellar far future. I haven't gotten to the sequels yet; I hear they deteriorate significantly.

I've probably read more that fit your criteria, but I'm drawing a blank right now. (I love Tad Williams's epic fantasies - the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy and his Shadowmarch quartet - but they tend to have elvish/faerie races and such in them.)

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
Another book came to mind this morning. THE RUNELORDS. I haven't read the other books in the series, but this one was quite good, and had a very interesting fuedal and magic system.

Patrick.S

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I lost track of this thread for a while. Thanks for all the recommendations. Quite a few things for me to check out!

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
If you like dark stuff then Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself and sequels are good.

writergirl1994

Registered
Reaction score
I don't read fantasy much anymore (I read it a lot when I was a kid) but two of the last sci-fi/fantasy books I really liked were "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman (which is imaginative and very funny) and "Kindred" by Octavia Butler (which is much darker, and involves a modern black woman who is inexplicably sent back in time to the era of slavery.) I found both these books to be page turners, I think they're both definitely worth checking out! :)

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
You may enjoy the six novels of the first and second Thomas Covenant Chronicles by Stephen R Donaldson (I haven't read the more recent trilogy). They were written a few decades ago, but they are my favourite fantasy series ever.

JJ Crafts

Registered
Reaction score
For epic fantasy I'd recommend the riftwar saga by Raymond E Feist and Malice (the first in a series that I can't remember the name of) by John Gwynne. Both are very big and heavy epic fantasy like ASOIAF.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just going to throw out The Sandman series by Neil Gaiman.

It's amazing. Absolutely mind blowing.

Just a thought!