My bunny is peeing orange

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm a newbie, I was hoping those with a little more experience could help me out.

So, love books, always have, always will, natch. I've had the secret ambition to be a writer for years and years. I don't talk to anyone about it, family or friends, with the exception of one friend (who I met at university while studying the most unliterary subject of computer science), he also harbours the secret desire to be a writer. I'm very, very shy of showing my work to anyone, but I let him read my stuff and he gives me notes.

A couple of years ago I wrote my first novel (historical fiction). I sent it off to a few places, and one gentleman asked to read the whole manuscript (he's a proper agent, not a vanity publisher, he has some famous clients), and he said.......

"This is one of those submissions where it is easily possible that I am making a dreadful mistake in declining! The story is related from a most unusual perspective and there is much that is original and worthwhile. Overall somehow, it just doesn't grip, though. It should be a real page-turner and for me, doesn't quite achieve that."

I understand it's quite rare to get rejections with positive feedback, and I was very grateful to him for the kind words, they gave me real courage that perhaps I'm not as hopelessly deluded as those poor fools at the early auditions for 'The X Factor".

I wrote a second novel after that, but didn't send that out (it's sci-fi). Now I've written a third, again historical fiction (as if I don't have enough problems already, I'm also a history geek), and I sent that to the same gentleman as before, and this time he said.........

"I really liked this and kept reading for far longer than with less well-written submissions.
The characters are intriguing, the story-line appealing, but just not a page-turner for me. I am really sorry to say this, but I have absolutely no doubt that in time you will turn out a best-seller!"

Again, extremely nice of him, and I really appreciate it (the gentleman is more or less my favourite person on planet earth, even though I've never met him), but it has made me think that perhaps he's just a really nice man who doesn't like breaking people's hearts, and prefers to let 'em down easy! My mate who reads my stuff also said my novel is really good, but he would say that wouldn't he? He's my friend.

I don't know if I should send it out to other places or not, or where I'm at. I've read a few books on "the process", but I'm still a little confused by questions such as, should I send my book to just agents, just publishers, or a combination of both? If I get a rejection with positive feedback, should I have a complete re-work of the book, or should I try other places first? Can you send the same book, re-worked, to the same agent/publisher after they've rejected it already, or is that considered bad form?

Sorry for the long post, if anyone with more experience than me could offer advice, or thoughts, or anything, I'd be very grateful. Thanks :)

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome abord :hi:

I don't know anything about writing, but I have a rabbit whose pee is kind of a creamy yellow. It was when we first got her, at least. I think it's cleared up now.

Good luck and stuff!
:)

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
I read your post because orange bunny pee intrigues me, perhaps more than it should. :)

Alas, your title was a tease. It's answers you're wanting:

Was the agent letting you down easy? Who can say.

Can you trust your mate to view your work objectively? I don't know.

Should you send QLs to other places? Not sure--I don't know if it's good, or ready.

Should you send your book to agents, just publishers, or a combination of both? You mean QL? Or QL with sample pages? If that's what you mean, I'd say agents are your best bet. Some indie publishers accept unagented work, you have to follow their guidelines.

Should you rework a novel based on one positive rejection? I don't think so. I wouldn't.

Can you send the same book, re-worked, to the same agent/publisher after they've rejected it already, or is that considered bad form? I hear tell if your novel has been completely reworked, and a sufficient amt. of time has passed, it's not unconscionable to submit again. The QL should reflect significant change, I believe.

Other than that, I am bereft! Except, Get your 50 posts in, then avail yourself of SYW.

Rockweaver

Registered
Reaction score
HI Clee welcome to the group glad you joined up. you will prob need to dig in the forums to find the kind of general advice you are looking for.

lots of resources here.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
If it's feedback you're after, when you hit 50 posts put your first chapter up on the Share Your Work forum. The SYW will give you an honest view of the work. But be sure to pay it back by critiquing others in that forum, it'll help your critical eye develop as well.

poeticcaresses

Normality is overrated :)
Registered
Reaction score
Your title is hilarious. ;) I don't have a ton of experience. I know there are others on here with more. But in my hunting for agents to submit my first novel to, (all rejected, lol), a lot of their sites stated that they would take resubmissions after a rejection if the piece had been sufficiently reworked, enough time had passed, and a completely new query was made. Make sure you research each agent individually though. They are all different.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Wow, and you'd think passing a kidney stone would be hard.

Ahem.

As wonderful and amazing as Mr. Awesome Agent may be, he is still just one person. And one person's opinion is not a significant sample size when trying to gauge your work.

Let other people read it. Get betas who won't blow smoke up your ass. Query other agents. Get a wide array of opinions, then reevaluate.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, a bunny that pees orange should still make good hasenpfeffer.

Just sayin'.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

schrang41

Registered
Reaction score
Im not much for novels, but it seems that you certaintly have a knack for them. Good luck!

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Hi clee!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about the forum software can be found in the
FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!

See if Katiemac has the answer here.
and check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips!

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Posting your writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area is explained here. This link covers the most common problems posts. found in SYW *Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Fun AW social links:
The Office Party
Kelly's Soft Asylum

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. You win the award for best intro thread title. Hang in there with the writing. It seems like you're getting a common criticism that your books aren't page turners. Maybe you could look outside your genres, choose some books that are real page turners, and study how they keep the reader turning pages. By the sounds of it, if you can figure out that one hurdle, you've got a great chance.