Review question

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
I have some nice reviews on my books from Ebook reviewer sites. I've put them on my blog, but my question is: is it acceptable to post the reviews on Amazon? Should I even consider this, and if so, what's the way to go about it? Do I simply post them myself, ask the reviewer to post them, ask the publisher, etc? Or should I not do this?

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
It's nice to spread good reviews across the Internet so I understand the temptation but I would advise against. If readers want to post reviews of your book on Amazon, they will do so. Reviews are by and for readers, and the author needs to leave well alone.

I think it's okay to retweet or link to good reviews, of course, but even then you have to remember you're pretty much reaching the same audience with each message, and that audience will tire of "I got another 5-star review on Amazon!" pretty quickly.

Bottom line for me: leave the reviewing to readers while you get on and write your next book.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You mustn't copy anyone else's work without permission, so unless you've got the express permission to copy the reviews onto your website you really should delete them from there (unless, of course, you've just quoted a small portion of the review and have linked back to the source.

You certainly shouldn't copy anyone else's review of your books onto Amazon: that would present the reviews as your own work which would look incredibly tacky; and it would cut out the reviewer whose name would not be attached to the piece.

If a reviewer wants to copy her work to Amazon that's fine: let her. But don't do it for her, not even with her permission. It's not appropriate, for a few reasons.

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, on my website I did the quote a portion + link thing. I guess when it comes to Amazon I'll leave well enough alone.

Thanks all!

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
If you go to author central on Amazon there is space to quote excerpts of reviews and link back to them. Obviously, it's looks better if you're quoting the New York Times Review than book-blogger-with-five-followers, but it's up to you; I wouldn't put goodreads reviews and so on up there, but if you're being reviewed by some of the bigger review blogs in your genre it couldn't hurt.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have an open policy that I will post reviews to Amazon upon request. But if the reviewer does not have that, I wouldn't ask. You could post it as an 'editorial review' if you have publisher access.

Status
Not open for further replies.