Bad Review after Kindle give-away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
Couldn't resist a reply ;)

As a woman who earns roughly $0.79 to the male dollar . . . Vituperative bitchery, hyperbole and willful ignorance don't help the cause of parity one bit. On the contrary; thanks so much for helping to set us back a few decades -- or maybe centuries. I have to wonder if you are what you declare yourself to be, or are perhaps a die hard misogynist playing a part.

Or maybe you're an ex?

Amanda R.

She who must be obeyed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twoamericansinchina.com
She responded with this:

so not only did she not read it, she didn't download it, she based this all on a description.

Your responses were spot on. For some demented reason, I've been following the responses to her review. Leaving a review about a book you haven't read is against Amazon's TOS (and personally something I think is completely unethical). Usually they can't prove it because sometimes people buy the books elsewhere or are given ARCs and post the reviews on Amazon. But your response got her to admit she hadn't read the books (which was fairly obvious from her "review," but couldn't be proven) so I clicked "report review" since she admitted she hadn't read it. Not sure if it will get the review removed, but at least other people who bother to investigate that one bad review will see that she even admits that she didn't actually read the book so her review should be ignored.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
She sounds like a moron, and will sound so to everyone who reads that.

It's truly a bad idea to respond to reviewers. But here's an idea: we could do a Stranger on the Train deal. One writer beats on another writer's unfair critics, and vice versa...

Barbara, I realise you're being supportive here, but I'm really uncomfortable with name-calling like this; and while I'm sure your Strangers On A Train suggestion was a joke, I hope no one takes it seriously and considers doing that for real because that really would be a very bad idea.

Is she illiterate?

More name-calling. Please don't do this. It makes us all look unprofessional, nasty, and mean.

When someone has a personal beef about something, often logic and commen sense go out of the window.

And I'm afraid you've been forced to suffer due to having been born into the easy level of the game of life - white male. Until society gets itself properly sorted out and balances out all the inequalities in society, this is going to keep happening. Again, the crazy here often rears its head in the form of men not being allowed to be feminist (despite many being staunch supporters) and similar nonsense.

Hmm.

Writing on a public forum about negative reviews (rather, thoughts about negative reviews) makes me uncomfortable. What if someone did a Google search of your name and found these posts? I ask myself quite often if I would want what I've just posted to be the first thing a reader learns about me. It's worth a few minutes of consideration, IMHO.

Well said, Merri.

I'm tempted to close this thread if it carries on in such a negative direction.

If anyone wants to sneer at reviewers or argue with them I can't stop them, even though I think it's foolish in the extreme. I can, however, stop people from gloating about such actions here.

Please, everyone: sharpen up your acts. I hope we're all better than this.

writerjohnb

Scribbler at Large
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnbushore.com
Sorry, Old Hack, I didn't mean this to go negative. I just wanted to point out the irony of hoping to get reviews, but getting one you wouldn't expect, that's why I posted in the promotion idea threads. I have never commented on the review itself. This fits the adage - Be careful what you wish for, you might get it. That's what I was pointing out, originally.
I got 2 good reviews from the giveaway and nobody would have questioned it if I posted them in the self-promotion threads.

Last edited:

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
Apologies here as well. I didn't mean to go as negative as I did and I've edited out my quotes and the reviewer's quotes from my past on the first page. I got caught up.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, both. I really appreciate your comments.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
Old Hack I was genuinely concerned when I asked if she was illiterate, not snarky, not sarcastic, not hateful. My apologies if it came off that way.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
It almost seems like the content of the review isn't even speaking to the book's purpose. Does that make sense? I mean, criticizing someone because they want you to "tell your sob story to someone else," seems a bit weird.

If I saw that on someone else's book or product, I'd probably flag it for removal. It doesn't seem to review anything. She just seems angry about her own life and challenges, I guess?

I don't know.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
If I saw that on someone else's book or product, I'd probably flag it for removal. It doesn't seem to review anything. She just seems angry about her own life and challenges, I guess?

I don't know.

That's exactly how it's coming across and while I'm sorry the book has taken the 1-star hit, anyone reading the review and comments will realize that she's got her own agenda going on and that it has nothing to do with the book. The review will then get ignored.

TrystanVikar

The Queen of Bad Decisions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TrystanVikar.com
Well, All publicity is good publicity they say. Except when it's not. In this case, I doubt it's hurting you in any way so I wouldn't sweat it.

haunted

Now is the winter of my discontent.
Registered
Reaction score
I like reading what more seasoned authors say about responding to bad reviews ....can't you just thank them and say their point is taken? I would think that would do more to shame them than anything. When the author is just a faceless entity, that's one thing, but when the author responds to you as a human being, I would think that would be worth something-that is, if it's not just some snarky, jealous pretender or something. Maybe not though, I haven' yet experienced it! I'm sure I will when my book is released! LOL Like hearing your advice...sorry if this is hijacking the thread?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Reviews are for readers, not writers.

Don't respond to them at all. Not to the good ones or the bad ones. There's far too much potential there for things to get complicated.

haunted

Now is the winter of my discontent.
Registered
Reaction score
ok thks

OK Thanks old hack...I do have a lot to learn...and always prefer to learn it from someone else's experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.