Submitting a Collection of Novellas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all :) I'm Niccolo, and I have a few questions to ask, so please bear with me.

I usually creep around the W1S1 forums and have so far only dabbled in flash fiction and short stories, but I have an increasing interest writing longer pieces, namely novellas.

Some of my favorite books aren't full novels at all, but rather collections of novellas. I've always been interested in trying my hand at this but have almost no idea where to start (besides writing the actual stories). How does one go about submitting a collection of four or five novellas for consideration/publication? Also, how do you find publishers for longer works? I know plenty of magazines that buy short fiction but have little to no idea of how to find big-name publishers for longer works. It's too much to ask for a complete list of publishers, I know, but if someone can just point me in the right direction, I would be eternally grateful.

I know this is a lot to ask of people who are busy with their own work, but I would appreciate any answers or advice any of you can offer. Again, thank you for any help you can provide.

As a side note, I'll write these novellas regardless of whether or not I find a market for them. I don't wrte just to sell, sell, sell, but it would be nice to publish a collection; it's my equivalent of writing that best-selling novel. It's my writing dream.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
What genre are you planning to write in? Many ePublishers accept unagented novella submissions, but they usually publish them one at a time as part of a series, rather than all together. You can also submit novellas for specific anthology calls through many of these same ePubs.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I suspect a collection of novellas from an unknown author is a pretty tough (nearly impossible) sell in trade publishing. Like a collection of short stories, if not harder.

I've actually never read a collection of novellas by one author. I'm curious to know which ones you like? My boyfriend owns exactly one; it's by Stephen King.

I agree with Beachgirl's advice about e-pubs.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
As a side note, I'll write these novellas regardless of whether or not I find a market for them. I don't wrte just to sell, sell, sell, but it would be nice to publish a collection; it's my equivalent of writing that best-selling novel. It's my writing dream.

Write them first, then worry about the route to publication.

Actually, that's a pretty standard answer.

u.v.ray

greatest writer of his generation
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.uvray.moonfruit.com
As has aready been mentioned, it depends on what kind of thing you're writing.

Or whether these series of books are inter-related. If they are it will be much, much harder to capture any interest from a publisher.

As single publications both novellas and short story collections are currently enjoying a renaissance on the small press scene. Although many of these publishers tend to focus more on literary fiction. Novellas were once hugely popular; George Bataille's Story of the Eye springs to my mind, widely acknowledged as a 20th Century erotic masterpiece.

Status
Not open for further replies.