• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Publish excerpts before book is published?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timtimmerson

Registered
Reaction score
What about publishing a excerpt/adaptation of less than a full chapter of a nonfiction book on an online magazine, something along the lines of Slate, Salon or similar?

Will future prospective publishers be bothered because it has run (and possibly impacting some portion of "first serial" rights?) or will they be glad you have some sort of "platform" and publicity out there for the book?

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I think people usually try and publish excerpts right before the book comes out to generate some buzz over the book. Since you don't yet have a publisher or a release date, it might be premature to try and publish and excerpt.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Too soon. Excerpts are useful - well I find them useful as a reader - but they need to be closer to release date. Preferably when the book is available to pre-order. If it's not going to come out for many months the chances of people remembering to follow up on it are slim.

How about instead of an excerpt you write an article (or more than one, for different places) on the same subject, exploring more briefly some of the ideas you'll be expanding on in the book? If you can get that accepted I would think that would be a better writing credit when you're querying the book.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you don't even have a publisher yet I would suggest not muddying the waters. Published related pieces, but not excerpts.

timtimmerson

Registered
Reaction score
Good advice. it's tough because I have hashed out so much of what i want to say. It's hard to find a new angle. I'll work on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.