Drunken man on airplane slaps another woman's 19-month old son, and calls the baby the "n-word"

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
She took the baby to the back of the plane for most of the flight just to avoid him and only came back for landing. So the mother was far more reasonable and accommodating than he deserved.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
planes don't bring out the best in people....when we were flying to Italy we were seated in the row immediately in front of our 2 kids....a couple middle-aged ladies were seated in the row behind them. Our kids were reading quietly and we told them it was time to sleep....five minutes later our daughter whispered over the seat that someone was kicking her chair.

The ladies behind our kids, who had THEIR seats reclined fully, were pushing our children's seats back upright "because otherwise they had no room." I politely and quietly told them that my kids were simply reclining, the same as the ladies were, and neither party had special, magic fucking chairs relative to the rest of the plane, so this was probably ok. Between that and my wife glaring at them they seemed to be pretty sure it was ok if the kids laid back, but I spent the next couple hours really upset at their twattish behavior--THEY were reclined, did they simply figure since our kids were smaller they shouldn't need to recline? Were they under the impression ANYONE who sat in front of them should "be a sport" and sit upright for the entire 9-hour flight so as to make sure their trip was enjoyable?

People are just stupid. When you stick twelve of them in a couple square yards of space it doesn't seem to get better. AND this guy was drinking. AND apparently a racist....and ass.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
I saw a lot of people suggest (in various comment sections where those story is posted) that some flights be child-free (and more expensive because of the luxury.) I think I can get with that. Although I'm sure people like the man in the OP would still find someone to slap and insult.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think people should grow the hell up and realize they sometimes have to be around upset babies. I fly a hell of a lot and have had babies scream in my ear plenty of times. It isn't the end of the world and a ball of wet toilet paper makes a good earplug.

Obnoxious adults are far more annoying IMHO. Including those who bitch and sigh about a baby doing what babies sometimes do. It's not like they have an 'off' switch.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
She took the baby to the back of the plane for most of the flight just to avoid him and only came back for landing. So the mother was far more reasonable and accommodating than he deserved.
I hope she and the baby were on hand to watch him get arrested.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a terrible man. I know this is a really horrible things, and yet all I can think about now is that scene from Airplane! You know which one.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I think people should grow the hell up and realize they sometimes have to be around upset babies. I fly a hell of a lot and have had babies scream in my ear plenty of times. It isn't the end of the world and a ball of wet toilet paper makes a good earplug.

Why do I have to be around crying babies? Why can't the parents keep them at home or show some common decency and remove the baby from the area. (Yeah, I know, it's a plane.) but I've been around enough of these parents who seem oblivious to the noise their baby makes. Or maybe they think it's cute and everyone else is going, "oh, what a cute baby." Well, we aren't. We think the baby, and the parent are obnoxious.

I don't think I should have be around upset babies. If I wanted one, I'd get my own.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Why do I have to be around crying babies? Why can't the parents keep them at home or show some common decency and remove the baby from the area. (Yeah, I know, it's a plane.) but I've been around enough of these parents who seem oblivious to the noise their baby makes. Or maybe they think it's cute and everyone else is going, "oh, what a cute baby." Well, we aren't. We think the baby, and the parent are obnoxious.

I don't think I should have be around upset babies. If I wanted one, I'd get my own.

ferret DOES raise a fair point, but that should be dependent on behavior, not age.

Our kids, when we went to Italy, were quiet and well-behaved. On the other hand, I've seen plenty of kids I've felt probably suffered from "friend parenting" where their mom and dad let them do anything, only raising impossible, ill-equipped little assholes. On the other hand, those kids are likely to be noisy, obnoxious, self-absorbed adults too, so how is banning them as children gonna solve your problem?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I never had a problem with screaming babies.

Frankly, I don't care what is happening in the plane so long as it has wi-fi.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
Being annoyed? I get that. But slapping a baby and insulting it, that's unforgivable.

Creating a separate babyfree class? Don't we have enough way's to differentiate between men and woman already?

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but how often does that happen?

Not pretending to be an expert on the matter, b.t.w.

I generally see both parents flying with babies/kids. Families travel together. But I think men and women alike would pay for the option of not having kids on a plane.

Some people are light sleepers. Babies cry. Not because of bad parenting, but because they're babies. You can be totally understanding of that and still not desire to have them screaming within several miles of you.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Nobody's gonna justify what this guy did. Even people who hate kids, never had or wanted any of their own, and chase the girl scouts off their stoop when they come around selling their cookies will condemn his actions.

I don't think booze explains it. As one poster said, (I paraphrase) if you're an asshole when you're drunk chances are you're an asshole when you're sober. I do know there are exceptions- some people that turn into Mr or Ms Hyde after a few drinks. But unless I'm very much mistaken I think we're going to find out there's something wrong with this guy. A nervous breakdown or something like that. That could never justify putting your hands on someone's kid, but could explain it.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com

I'm kind of hoping I missed a sarcasm tag, because the idea that you "shouldn't have to be around" people who annoy you, for whatever reason, doesn't make any sense to me. I also don't think it's possible for a baby to be obnoxious nor do I know any parents who think it's "cute" when their child is crying in pain and they have no way to soothe him/her.

On the other hand, people who know they are easily annoyed or light sleepers do have the option to bring earplugs and/or a music player with them to counteract any loud people on the plane, regardless of age.

Aside from having separate, kid-free flights, what's the alternative? All young kids shouldn't be allowed on a plane because there might be someone on the plane who won't like it if the kid's ears hurt and they cry? That's a big restriction to put on someone just to avoid a situation that may or may not happen.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
I generally see both parents flying with babies/kids. Families travel together. But I think men and women alike would pay for the option of not having kids on a plane.

Some people are light sleepers. Babies cry. Not because of bad parenting, but because they're babies. You can be totally understanding of that and still not desire to have them screaming within several miles of you.

Fair enough. :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Why do I have to be around crying babies? Why can't the parents keep them at home or show some common decency and remove the baby from the area. (Yeah, I know, it's a plane.)

Because it is a community space, they can't leave, and it is unreasonable to deny parents access to it. It's part of being in a civilized society.

If the caretakers do something cuckoo they can be banned, but banning people just from being a caretaker of a baby is unreasonable.

Yes, crying is unpleasant, but the caretakers right to have normal human access to facilities for transportation is far, far more important than my desire for a quiet cabin. Thus I put my earplugs in and keep things in perspective.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com

I'm with you on this. It seems like the days of people taking a screaming child out of a store, restaurant, or even movie theatre are long gone. I can be patient on a flight, where mom and dad don’t have many options, but what is this new culture that seems to think I should just deal with their baby crying? We now live in a culture where people take babies to horror movies, and think nothing about it if their crying child is ruining the experience for other people.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
We are, in this case, talking about a flight in the air. Specifically one were someone thought their spurious right not to be next to a crying baby included the right to slap the baby. I hope we are not closing in on defending that behavior.

A right is the other side of an obligation. Are parents obliged to 1) not travel on plane, or 2) take whatever means necessary including opiates or suffocation to silence an unhappy baby?

I would say there is not such duty, ergo their is no such right. No one wants their baby to be crying and I assume caretakers are generally doing the best they can. Sometimes responsible sober adult people experience transitory discomfort as part of the give and take of living with other people. Ain't no big thing.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I'm kind of hoping I missed a sarcasm tag, because the idea that you "shouldn't have to be around" people who annoy you, for whatever reason, doesn't make any sense to me. I also don't think it's possible for a baby to be obnoxious nor do I know any parents who think it's "cute" when their child is crying in pain and they have no way to soothe him/her.

You do NOT think its possible for babies to be obnoxious? Seriously? o_O

As far as the parents thinking it is cute, I have no other explanation for parents who subject their noisy little brat upon others.

If our children cried inconsolably, we had the decency to remove them from whatever situation we were in: restaurants, stores, social gatherings, whatever it was. Again, I understand its a plane and during takeoffs and landings there's little that can be done, but in general, in other situations, yeah, we leave with the child.

I expect no less from others.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I'm with you on this. It seems like the days of people taking a screaming child out of a store, restaurant, or even movie theatre are long gone. I can be patient on a flight, where mom and dad don’t have many options, but what is this new culture that seems to think I should just deal with their baby crying? We now live in a culture where people take babies to horror movies, and think nothing about it if their crying child is ruining the experience for other people.

Well ... two problems with this woman trying to resolve the sceams of her baby.

1) The kid wasn't throwing a temper tantrum and instead was reacting to the sudden shift in air pressure from the descent of the air plane. (I personally never suffer from the shift going up, and instead I always suffer from the shift going down. Same with the one time I went skydiving --no problem with my ears when the plane went up to 5,000 feet. But dear God! When I was floating downward!! :gaah)

2) When the plane is descending, you MUST be in your seat with the seat belt fastened.

As far as kids who are allowed to scream and throw tantrums, yeah I agree.

Meanwhile, I was nannying in Long Island about 9 years ago and my little charge (4-yr-old girl) was being very disobedient while she and I were at Blockbuster trying to pick out a movie for her for the weekend. I finally said, "That's enough. You've picked out one video, and now we need to go." She screamed "NO!" at me. I said "Okay, then, no videos at all." I put the video back on the shelf, took her by the hand, and I started to march her toward the door But she screamed and yanked to get free of my grip. Then she took hold of the front chekcout counter and was holding on with both hands, screaming and kicking "No! I want videos! I want videos!" Two customers stood back mortified at this spectacle, and the teenager behind the counter didn't know what to make of it. I said to her as I picked her up by her waist,"Little girls who scream and kick their feet don't get videos." Once she was in my arms, she flailed around like a 45 pound blue marlin I had just reeeld in,and I pried her hands off of the counter. I walked out the door with her thrashing around like that. She cried in the car as I buckled her in. She was no longer thrashoing because hs eknew she had been physcially besyted by me and couldn't overpower me and run back into the store, so her defiance was devolving into sorrow. I said nothing to her tears at first. I got in the driver's seat without saying a word, and she was pleading for the videos. I started driving. She moaned and moaned in defeat "I want videos! I want videos!" I repeated to her that being naughty won't get her videos. And I also said "I don't even know if we'll ever be allowed back into Blockbuster again after your temper tantrum." And THAT scared her. She said she was sorry. So when I got her home I gave her a kiss and said we'd have to ask permissionn to go back ever again. "But maybe they'll say no."

Next day, we drove back and I walked her to the counter and the same teenager was there at the register. He of cource recognized us. I said to him "Alexandra has something she needs to say." She started crying and she almost shrieked out her apology: "I'm sorry I was naughty yesterday!" And then I saked him "Can we come back in the store now?" He nodded and said "Okay. You can come back in." And she said to him in total heartfelt tears "THANK YOU!" And then she hugged my legs and cried some more.

Then we picked out the videos and she was a perfect little lady about the whole affair. And she smiled and waved good-bye to the kid at the counter as we checked out and left.

I never had another problem with her in a public place again.

Last edited:

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score

This post made me realize I haven't encountered a baby in a movie theater since I left the states. In fact, no children at all unless it's a kid's movie. And I go to different theaters at different times and see a lot of types of films.