Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drunken man on airplane slaps another woman's 19-month old son, and calls the baby the "n-word"

A woman said to write like a man. Plot Device's Avatar

Drunken man on airplane slaps another woman's 19-month old son, and calls the baby the "n-word"

He makes Mel Gibson look civilized.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...er-on-a-plane/

Joe Hundley, Idaho man, charged with assault for allegedly slapping a crying toddler on a plane

February 18, 2013

(CBS/AP) ATLANTA - An Idaho man faces a federal assault charge after allegedly hitting a crying child and using a racial slur aboard an Atlanta-bound flight....

... The child's mother, 33-year-old Jessica Bennett, of Minneapolis, told authorities the boy was crying as the plane prepared for landing. Bennett says Hundley was sitting next to her and slapped the boy in his face, causing a scratch under his right eye. She says Hundley used a racial epithet while demanding her to quiet the boy.

Hundley "told her to shut that ('N word') baby up," Cheney said in the affidavit. "Ms. Bennett received assistance from several people on the plane ...

Oh and ... he was the president of some aerospace firm ... and he got fired because of this incident.

(VIDEO)

http://gma.yahoo.com/executive-accus...opstories.html
    It's NOT the end of steam, it's the end of CHEAP steam.
    http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...&postcount=757

Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)

Caught this in a middle of the discussion of a drag queen wearing blackface and making racist jokes and discussing with some boneheads who thought it wasn't racist. This story also happened to latch on to that as a way of demonstrate that racism still existed in the violent way.

Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C AW Moderator Zoombie's Avatar
    Racism still exists, but it sounds like the other passengers took the mother's side.

Racism is like cockroaches, but we're living in a pig stye, even if some people want to make it that way.
    2068 Series: On Hiatus!
    Shard Series: On Hiatus

Untitled Furry Thing: 65k/XXXk

The Bracewell Parable: Done!

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!

Disgusting. Poor baby probably had pain in his ears from the plane landing. Much sympathy to my fellow Minneapolian.
    My feature film WHY AM I IN A BOX? is now online! I wrote, directed, and acted in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes, now on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyani...shop-info-name

I didn't see where it says he was drunk. I was about to ask snarkily why they still serve alcohol on planes, but now I'm not sure if he was drunk or if he's just an asshole.

Either way, whatever book might be available for throwing, I hope they throw it at him.
    Hell is other people. -- Jean Paul Sartre

Rule of thumb: Mura is not subtle.

The Grand Navigators, collaborative fantasy adventure party.
    Cafe Muravyets, hang out of lazy writers.
    Art: Portfolio and Studio Blog.
    Me on Facebook.

figuring it all out tracivermillion's Avatar
    Much kudos to this mom, because there is no way this story wouldn't have ended with--and then mom kills racist asshole--if that were me. Touch my babies and you will pull back a bloody stump.
    A writer, like an athlete, must 'train' every day. What did I do today to keep in 'form'? — Susan Sontag

Traci Vermillion: In Pursuit

That hairy-handed gent
    In addition to the obvious, kudos to that aerospace company for firing his ass.

caw
    "Badger! Badger! The weasels have stolen my motor-car!"

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows

Benefactor Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracivermillion View Post
    Much kudos to this mom, because there is no way this story wouldn't have ended with--and then mom kills racist asshole--if that were me. Touch my babies and you will pull back a bloody stump.
    Ditto.
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Bright and Early for the Daily Race Chrissy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by muravyets View Post
    I didn't see where it says he was drunk.
    Me either. But it sounds like a drunk thing. (Lack of restraint.)

I appreciate that the company fired him, but from their statement it sounds like the typical denial to disassociate themselves from him and avoid bad publicity.

I wonder if they had evidence beforehand that he was out of control? Just speculating, of course. People who have alcohol or anger management problems tend to give signs before completely losing it.

Quote Originally Posted by tracivermillion View Post
    Excellent point.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Me either. But it sounds like a drunk thing. (Lack of restraint.)

I appreciate that the company fired him, but from their statement it sounds like the typical denial to disassociate themselves from him and avoid bad publicity.

I wonder if they had evidence beforehand that he was out of control? Just speculating, of course. People who have alcohol or anger management problems tend to give signs before completely losing it.

Excellent point.
    I heard someone today say something like "Oh, well, he was drunk." Since when is that an excuse for anything? (I'm not talking about you, Chrissy. Your comment just made me think of it.) I can understand that alcoholism is an addiction, but it's an explanation, not an excuse. I have been completely wasted many times in my life, and never have I hit a human being because of it, let alone a wee little baby boy. If that man was drinking, I still think he must be a miserable excuse for a human being even when sober. And if he's only a viscious hedge pig when he's drunk, then why is he drinking at all? There's a million places to help people learn not to drink. I'm glad he's fired, no matter why the company dumped him. Would you want a baby slapping drunk working for you?
    Last edited by JulianneQJohnson; 02-19-2013 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Typo. I are writer!

Pictures and Words- my writing blog

Leonardo Da Bunni is a chaptered book for early readers.
    Join baby Leo as he discovers works of
    art in the world around him.

You can't sit with us! missesdash's Avatar
    Read about this a couple of days ago and decided, immediately, that if someone *slapped* my son and called him a "nigger baby" I'd be the one going to jail.

Suuuuch disgusting behavior. Really. If the man was drunk, I hope he is completely ashamed of himself.

Sort of related: I don't have a problem with people spanking their kids, but when my mother always talks about how my aunt used to smack my cousin in the face when he was a baby. Instead of a smack on the bum, she'd smack him, open-handed, across the face. So incredibly demeaning. I know babies don't have a sense of self and so can't technically be humiliated but it's still very horrible imo. Er but enough about my family...

I gather the flight was from Minneapolis to Atlanta, so not some lengthy intercontinental flight.
    If he was drunk enough to lower his inhibitions enough to slap some stranger's baby, he was either really drunk, or he had few inhibitions to start with. It makes me wonder how often he's been drunk or 'uninhibited' on the ground, while conducting company business, at company functions. How often he's made inappropriate comments or actions to co-workers or underlings or customers?
    It may have made his employers wonder that as well.

practical experience, FTW cornflake's Avatar
    Ok, let me preface this with being clear that he seems a loony, no one (uhm, obviously), should be slapping any baby or using racial epithets or etc.

He also, obviously, may well have been drunk, or not, and if he was, may be because he's a drunk in general, etc.

However, just because people seemed to be equating 'if he was drunk' to 'wonder how often he was drunk at work' - there are lots of people who hate/fear flying and regardless of the length of the flight will drink or take stuff to try to fly with less anxiety. So if someone were drunk on a flight, doesn't mean they'd necessarily be so in the rest of their life.

*I don't think being drunk, for whichever reason, would in any way excuse his behaviour.

**I don't drink to fly.

A woman said to write like a man. Plot Device's Avatar
    The "drunk or not drunk" question .....

I read several different news items about this before settling on the two I linked in the OP. And one of the various news items said he was drunk at the time, and the woman said when she at first gasped and said "What did you call my baby?" he leaned into her ear, she could smell the alcohol on his breath, and he repeated the racist slur with hot, heavy alcohol breath into her ear.

Another story said the man has had several episodes of public drunkenness as found on police records here and there throughout his lifetime.
    It's NOT the end of steam, it's the end of CHEAP steam.
    http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...&postcount=757

Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)

There's always some pillock doing something odious somewhere on the planet at any time of the day. The joy of the interconnected world is we get to hear about it in a way that once we never would. Sadly this can lead us to think there are more bad things than there actually are.

Though much goes unreported because it's become mundane, yesterday if recent averages are maintained there were 40 murders in the USA and 2 in the UK... this racist incident was reported, showing it was not common place or mundane, and there is hope in that I think.
    Testing Testing Testing

yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
    I remember watching one report on it and the news reporter said the man's attorney said 'let's not be hasty in rushing to judge him'.

Um. Grown man slaps a stranger's baby.

Honestly? In what world is that even remotely defensible? Like...ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post
    The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by KTC View Post
    1) Write like your face is on fire.
    I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
    My sort-of-not-really blog.

... the "slap" could have been damaging.
    Babies a fragile. A slap to a baby is like a punch.

Quote Originally Posted by bearilou View Post
    I remember watching one report on it and the news reporter said the man's attorney said 'let's not be hasty in rushing to judge him'.

Um....yeah. This is one of those times when I don't care if there's more to the story blah blah blah...I think I'll judge him as much as I want to. If you've got any humanity in you at all, you don't hit a baby.
    My feature film WHY AM I IN A BOX? is now online! I wrote, directed, and acted in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes, now on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyani...shop-info-name

Quote Originally Posted by bearilou View Post

Maybe if said baby is on fire?
    Destiny Deceived - Internet serial story. Written by one of the best writers I have ever been.

"Having been an English literary graduate, I've been trying to avoid the idea of doing art ever since. I think the idea of art kills creativity. I think media are at their most interesting before anybody's thought of calling them art, when people still think they're just a load of junk."
    Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyB27 View Post
    Maybe if said baby is on fire?
    I doubt a slap would calm a burning toddler.

Anyway, I support the congratulations for the lady's self-restraint. Anyone slaps a baby in front of me, I'll gladly break every bone in his hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by blacbird
    You be a baaaaaad man.

I should be writing. Alpha Echo's Avatar
    It's just unbelievable. I agree with the kudos to the mother b/c I'm not so sure...well...I KNOW if it had been my husband with DD, the man would be seriously injured. At the least. Drunk or not.

To the spanking stuff: I'm not against spanking at all, though we don't. I AM against slapping open handed or punching or anything more than a swap on the booty or maybe a slap on the wrist. I am also against doing what my mother did and pulling down the kids' pants and smacking a naked bottom. That was more embarrassing than the spank was painful.
    "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible"
    T.H Lawrence

I think it says a lot about someone's character if they start doing shit like this when they get drunk.

I know girls who get really flirty when they're drunk, gay guys who decide they're straight when they're drunk, people who get mouthy to their teachers when they're drunk, but I don't know anyone who decides to start slapping babies when they're drunk. Though I do know one person who goes completely off with slurs with they get morphine. And they're not exactly the most racially enlightened person sober, anyway.

Holding out for a Superhero... Sheryl Nantus's Avatar
    Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
    I'm sort of curious how the old man got so drunk. Hip flask? Drunk on the flight? Drinking at the airport bar?

While it doesn't excuse his behavior (glad he got fired!) I'd like to find out if the airport/airline is partially responsible. We get upset with bartenders letting people drink and drive, I'd like to see the same restrictions followed with passengers. If he arrived at the airport drunk, how did he get through security? If he drank at the bar before the flight, how did he get boarded? If he got drunk ON the flight, why wasn't he cut off earlier?

Again, glad he's suffering the consequences of his actions. But there's a bit more here I'd like to see discussed.

The racial slur was out of line. He deserved to be fired.

Airplanes should have crying rooms though.
    Twitter | Pinterest | WordPress | Tumblr

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast