• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Wedemeyer Agency (Isabelle Wedemeyer)

EmmaKate

I am looking for literary agents online, and I have been in contact with Isabelle D. Wedemeyer of the Isabelle Wedemeyer Agency, NYC. Is anyone familiar with her?

travNastee

in a bulletproof vest...
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...

Not even listed on P & E which I would think is not a good thing (but I don't really know).

Also not listed on Agent Query

I did a google search and pulled up nothing, then I dropped the middle initial and found three things maybe, nothing on recent sales. I also re-searched AQ without the middle initial. Still nothing.

I'm not the expert on these things, though, so I'm just saying what I know, and how I know to check it. Others may chime in with first hand or second hand accounts.

Good luck.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
EmmaKate said:
I am looking for literary agents online, and I have been in contact with Isabelle D. Wedemeyer of the Isabelle Wedemeyer Agency, NYC. Is anyone familiar with her?
Hi, EmmaKate. I don't know your level of experience, so forgive me if this is stuff you already know.

There doesn't seem to be much on IDW/IDA out there. That's not good, but it's not necessarily the kiss of death; all agents are new at one time, after all, so the next thing to do is to look at her record. How long has she been in business? Effective new agents should be making sales within six months or so of startup. Has she worked in publishing? If so, where, doing what? What does she say makes her qualified to be an effective agent? It's easy to call yourself an agent. It's much harder to be a good one. As a writer, you're looking for an agent who can sell your manuscript to the kind of publishers who will do it justice. Don't settle for less, under any circumstances. An agent must be shown to be good enough to be on your list, not bad enough to cross off it.

Some resources for information on agent searches:
The Index to Agents, Publishers, and Others here on AW
Preditors and Editors
Writer Beware and The Writer Beware Blog
The Safest Way to Search for an Agent and Researching an Agent's Track Record, by Victoria Strauss
Making Light: On the getting of agents

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Also, mention where you came across the agent or agency name. If it's online, include the URL. That will help us when there are multiple agents or agencies with similar or identical names.

travNastee

in a bulletproof vest...
Registered
Reaction score
She has an email, but as far as I can find, there is no website. I found her listed on writers.net and as a speaker or participant at a coference. Here's what it said about her:

Isabelle Wedemeyer is President of the Isabelle Wedemeyer Agency located in New York City. She is interested in high quality fiction and takes on some writers whose concept is better than execution.

Wow.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
blurb said:
She is interested in high quality fiction and takes on some writers whose concept is better than execution.
Does that make anyone else think an editing service is involved?*

*Which would be Not a Good Thing, for anyone who doesn't know that.

travNastee

in a bulletproof vest...
Registered
Reaction score
I would say either that or ghostwriting.

On the other hand she may be good at working with writers that aren't quite up to snuff, helping them craft their writing into marketable books and will be willing to work with them for as long as it takes with no cost to them until the advance is paid from the publisher.

*slaps self*

The hell was I thinking? Up front paid editing service or ghostwriting.

EmmaKate

Thanks so much, everyone, for the information--or lack of information--about Isabelle Wedemeyer. I was thinking the same thing.

travNastee

in a bulletproof vest...
Registered
Reaction score
Let me sum it up best: From what I've seen about the both of them in my short tenure here, if Victoria or James haven't heard of them and can't find anything on them:

Go with another agent.

A. J. Luxton

Wibbly-Wobbly. Timey-Wimey.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ajluxton.com
"She is interested in high quality fiction and takes on some writers whose concept is better than execution."

Okay, so if your story takes place in a French Revolution setting, you're right out?

(Any interpretation of that sentence as non-scammy would require it to be an actual, working sentence.)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
A. J. Luxton said:
"She is interested in high quality fiction and takes on some writers whose concept is better than execution."

Some writers whose concept is better than la garrotte....

Some writers whose concept is better than hanging....

Some writers whose concept is better than the gas chamber....

But not much better.

I can think of lots of writers like that.

For writers who are looking for agents, some words of advice:

http://www.sff.net/people/VictoriaStrauss/agentsearch.html

http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/2005/01/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about.asp

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
"Independent Publishing Professional" just means she's in the industry (and not part of a conglomerate). It doesn't mean she's a publisher.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Some old listings on WN and the aforementioned conference bio from '05 .... Anyone attain anything alluding actual agenting of an author?